FDRTools advanced - Trial - saving projects

  • p_cutland
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2011
      After a short test of the 2.4beta6 I have loaded the final 2.4.

      I have 2 projects that I am working on, one using Canon RAW files the other using 16 TIF.

      With the Canon RAW I have had the program crash twice saying out of memory. This did not happen with the beta version on the same images.

      With the Tiff files although they are numbered XX-a.tif to XX-e in ascending order of exposure they were derived from a single RAW file. They do not sort into exposure or file name order and so do not get into the correct position in the stack of images for editing. Also if I try to use the Tone Mapping Compressor the program stops. Task manager shows no activity.

      My system is AMD quad core in Gigabyte motherboard with 4GB RAM running XP SP3 with all updates. There are 4 hard disks each with a minimum 60GB free space

      Is there any information that I can gather from my system that will help you debug the problems?
      Is there a limit on the size of TIF files?
    • Andreas Schömann
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2011
        Am 01.02.2011 13:26, schrieb p_cutland:

        Is there any information that I can gather from my system that will help you debug the problems?

        No. Just make me one of your RAW files available please - or at least give me the dimensions of the image. And tell me how many images you tried to process. Then I will try to reproduce it here.

        Is there a limit on the size of TIF files?

        Sure. FDRTools is still a 32 bit application hence can't address more than 4GB memory on 32 bit OS X. 32 bit Windows is even more restrictive, normally an application can address just 2GB, with the so called "3GB switch" enabled about 3GB - is this switch enabled in your system?

        This means: there is limit on the size of a single image, say an HDR panorama. There is a limit also on the number of RAW files of an exposure series that can be processed, depending on the sensor size of the camera. This is because loaded images are kept in memory and additional memory is required to produce the intermediate and final results.

        When FDRTools can't allocate enough memory the result will be an error message. This is not a crash. However, there must be an explanation for your problem.

        Regards,
        Andreas Schömann

        PS: I'm currently working on a version for 64 bit operating systems which will solve (most of) these memory problems.

      • Paul Cutland
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2011
          I have placed the three RAW files in Dropbox with the following links

          http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7317589/Winter%20Trees_068.CR2
          http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7317589/Winter%20Trees_069.CR2
          http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7317589/Winter%20Trees_070.CR2

          You can download them and hopefully replicate my problem.

          I have not had a problem with memory when running other HDR or panoramic software, but one I know uses the disk for its temporary file.  I will check if the 3GB switch is set and retest.

          Regards
          Paul Cutland
          0797 004 8159

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 1, 2011
            Thank you. I've tested your images on my machine (Vista 64, 8GB).
            Measuring the memory requirements I found a maximum of about 2.0 GB.
            This is not a problem on my machine but probably is the reason why it
            fails on yours.

            When viewing the image in Preview mode at 100% about 1.2 GB memory is
            used. If you zoom out the program allocates additional memory. I've
            measured about 2 GB at 33%. This is caused by the increased precision in
            the calculation of the image preview which I have introduced with
            version 2.4.0. This is probably the reason why FDRTools runs out of
            memory on your machine. The memory consumption is specific to the
            Compressor tone mapper.

            (Note: in case you want to use more RAWs you should calculate with about
            180 MB memory additionaly required per RAW image given the 20 MPixel
            image size.)

            Things you can do:
            - Use the Preview at 100% zoom value. Don't go below. If you need to see
            the overview switch to the Navigator.
            - If you want/need to stay with XP then activate the 3GB switch.
            - Otherwise upgrade to Win7. If you are willing to do this then go for
            the 64 bit version. Later on you should add more RAM. The more RAM the
            better. This is a general advice but especially important when editing
            images.

            Regards,
            Andreas Schömann
          • Paul Cutland
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 4, 2011
              Andreas,

              Thank you.  I tried the 3GB switch but could not get the system to start in that mode.  I have now got my Windows 7 64 bit working, and now have NO problems with crashes or not responding.  I will now look at installing more RAM to try to get the speed up.

              Regards
              Paul Cutland
              0797 004 8159

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 4, 2011
                Am 04.02.2011 13:40, schrieb Paul Cutland:

                Andreas,

                Thank you.  I tried the 3GB switch but could not get the system to start in that mode.  I have now got my Windows 7 64 bit working, and now have NO problems with crashes or not responding.

                Windows 7 runs 32 bit applications like FDRTools with the 3GB switch enabled. It is important to recognize that 32 bit apps still have the 3GB limitation with Win7. Only 64 bit applications can utilize more than 3GB RAM. So it's my responsibility to make FDRTools 64 available.

                  I will now look at installing more RAM to try to get the speed up.

                Go ahead. You won't regret it. It makes the difference if you have several apps running in parallel.

                Regrads,
                Andreas Schömann