Re: Simple Simon Solving Statistics

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 27, 2001
      On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, Stephan Kulow wrote:

      > On Thursday 27 September 2001 08:45, you wrote:
      > > I ran Freecell Solver 1.9.8 on PySol games 1 - 1000. Here are the
      > > results that I got. You can find the complete dump here:
      > >
      > > http://vipe.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/freecell-solver/total_dump.zip
      > >
      > > All in all, about 85% of the games were solved, which is very good
      > > IMO. And as can be seend from the statistics, a 1000 iterations are
      > > usually enough to solve a FCS-wise solveable deal.
      > >
      > > In any case, if you can find a deal which you managed to solve, and
      > > Freecell Solver was unable to, please let me know, and I'll see if I
      > > can fix it.
      >
      > That's pretty suprising. From playing it, I would have said it's at most at
      > 60% solvable.

      It is possible that my solver still has some bugs.

      > But what you found out, is what the game makes a joy: either
      > it's impossible to solve and you see it in the first moves or it's solvable
      > and you only have the find the best route.

      Yes, I became fond of Simple Simon too.

      > Greetings, Stephan

      Shlomi Fish shlomif@...
      Home E-mail: shlomif@...

      A more experienced programmer does not make less bugs. He just realizes
      what went wrong more quickly.
    • Stephan Kulow
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 27, 2001
        On Thursday 27 September 2001 08:45, you wrote:
        > I ran Freecell Solver 1.9.8 on PySol games 1 - 1000. Here are the
        > results that I got. You can find the complete dump here:
        >
        > http://vipe.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/freecell-solver/total_dump.zip
        >
        > All in all, about 85% of the games were solved, which is very good
        > IMO. And as can be seend from the statistics, a 1000 iterations are
        > usually enough to solve a FCS-wise solveable deal.
        >
        > In any case, if you can find a deal which you managed to solve, and
        > Freecell Solver was unable to, please let me know, and I'll see if I
        > can fix it.

        That's pretty suprising. From playing it, I would have said it's at most at
        60% solvable. But what you found out, is what the game makes a joy: either

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 27, 2001
          At 13:14 27/09/01 +0200, you wrote:
          >On Thursday 27 September 2001 08:45, you wrote:
          > > I ran Freecell Solver 1.9.8 on PySol games 1 - 1000. Here are the
          > > results that I got. You can find the complete dump here:
          > >
          > > http://vipe.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/freecell-solver/total_dump.zip
          > >
          > > All in all, about 85% of the games were solved, which is very good
          > > IMO. And as can be seend from the statistics, a 1000 iterations are
          > > usually enough to solve a FCS-wise solveable deal.
          > >
          > > In any case, if you can find a deal which you managed to solve, and
          > > Freecell Solver was unable to, please let me know, and I'll see if I
          > > can fix it.
          >
          >That's pretty suprising. From playing it, I would have said it's at most at
          >60% solvable.

          It is possible that my solver still has some bugs.

          >But what you found out, is what the game makes a joy: either
          >it's impossible to solve and you see it in the first moves or it's solvable
          >and you only have the find the best route.

          Yes. I became fond of Simple Simon too.

          In any case, I now analyzed about 4000 deals and the statistics remained
          pretty much the same. There's one strange game that reaches depths of
          several thousands, which should be impossible the way I designed the
          solver. I have verified that that game is solveable.

          I'll see what I can do about it. Right now I have to write a perl script to
          generate all the presets for me, because I'm adding several new fields.

          Shlomi Fish shlomif@...