Announcing Freecell Solver Release 3.0.0

    Message 1 of 1 , May 23, 2010
      Hi all,

      It's not yet in the blog / news feed, and I didn't put it on Freshmeat.net,
      but I released Freecell Solver 3.0.0 today. So why the new initial digit
      (3.x.y instead of 2.x.y)? Well, I was getting tired of making releasing in the
      high 2.xx's like 2.36.0 up to 2.42.0 which was the latest version (which ;eft
      the GNOME 2.x version number, which was there like forever, behind).

      Furthermore, the flares implementation with the two new improved scans that it
      enabled ("children-playing-ball" / "cpb" and "sentient-pearls" / "sp"), made
      it a notable change.

      Looking back at all the changes from 2.0.0, one can see that there were many:
      many forms of running several searches together (soft-threads, hard-threads,
      instances and flares), many speed boosts, many bug-fixes, new features, and a
      lot of code cleanup. So the bump to 3.x.y is definitely warranted.

      In any case, here are the changes since the last release - 2.42.0 released on
      27-March-2010:

      <<<
      Version 3.0.0: (23-May-2010)
      ----------------------------

      1. Implement the flares API (see +USAGE.txt+), which allows running several
      alternative scans and then picking up the one with the shortest solution.

      2. Add the +-l children-playing-ball+ and +-l sentient-pearls+ presets
      that optimize on solution length (based on flares).

      3. Add +scripts/tag-fc-solve-release.bash+ to tag using svn.

      4. Updated the CMake version in the build-on-win32.pl scritp.

      5. Add +scripts/stat-analysis-2.pl+ which is a faster version of the
      script for statistical analysis of the solution length.

      6. Refactored the +split_cmd_line.c+ module.

      7. Renamed many "a_star" and "A*" occurences in the code to "BeFS", because
      what was thought to be the A* scan was actually Best-First-Search.

      8. Convert the soft-DFS tests' order to a list-of-lists-of-tests, and no
      longer recalculating the tests_list on any recycling.

      I still need to prepare Win32 packages, but the source is naturally available.