Ted Mullin Hour of Power - November 10, 2010

  • emilyschwing
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 8, 2010
      Hi All!

      The Hour of Power is in just two days and I wanted to give you a little more information on the event as it gets close.

      Ted was a swimmer at New Trier High School being named captain in his senior year. He attended Carleton College in Northfield, Minnesota, where he was a history major and had a particular interest in Irish history. He was twice named captain of the men's swimming and diving team.

      Ted was diagnosed with sarcoma, a rare form of cancer, in May of 2004, his sophomore year at Carleton. He died on September 3, 2006, before he was able to graduate.

      Ted was also a very good friend of mine. He always counted my 1000, my 1650 and my 500. He would walk up and down the pool with me for the whole mile and tell me when it was time to "drop the hammer!" I was there when he shaved his head with the men's team and we all started crying, he hugged us and told us he'd be just fine. He was one of the most genuine people you could ever have met. He was truly a high quality friend!

      Annually in the United States:

      1,500,000 new cases of ALL types of cancer.

      Less than 1% of all new cancers diagnosed each year are sarcomas: 12,000 sarcoma cases each year.

      BUT:

      An overwhelming 55% of the 12,000 sarcoma cases each year in the U.S. hit adolescences and young adults, the age group, 15 – 29.

      Sarcoma is the fifth most common cancer in this age group.

      Unlike most cancers, the sarcoma treatment success rate is NOT improving, especially in the adolescent and young adult population. As an "orphan disease" among cancers, we look to increase awareness and philanthropic support for research.

      Through the swimming and diving community's involvement in the Hour of Power, we have made more than 15,000 athletes across the country aware of sarcoma. Sarcoma awareness is one of our most important goals.

      Three years ago the University of Chicago did not have a pediatric sarcoma research program. At the time of Ted's death in the fall of 2006, family and friends started the Ted Mullin Fund at the University of Chicago. Simultaneously, the Carleton College Swimming and Diving team started the Hour of Power, and raised $11,000 in the first year of the event. Now the fund has raised a total of $400,000, and the Hour of Power has contributed $190,000 of that sum. Because of the fund, the University has recruited Stephen X. Skapek to lead pediatric sarcoma research. The Uof C has already multiplied the $400,000 from the Ted Mullin Fund to $1,700,000 in the lab. The work is underway!!!

      This is an athlete-driven event. The swimmers/divers should be very proud of what they have accomplished in such a short time: raised awareness across the country, and from nothing, the Uof C has put in place a $1,700,000 research program. It will continue to grow with their continued support through the Hour of Power.

      Thanks for becoming part of The Ted Mullin Leave it in the Pool Hour of Power. I am very excited for Wednesdays relay. I think it will be great fun!

      Emily Schwing