Re: Hit 60lbs weight loss milestone

  • churylz
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 24 5:45 PM
      I'd love to see a before pic!

      --- In fast5@yahoogroups.com, Heather Twist <HeatherTwist@...> wrote:

      > Congratulations!
      >

      > On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 11:42 AM, RickS <no3rdseat@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Hi gang. I just wanted to share a photo. It's over in the photo section
      > > under "Rick".
      > >
      > > Over the weekend I hit a milestone of 60lbs lost. I've gone from a max of
      > > 221lbs down to 161lbs. The photo shows me with 60lbs worth of weights
      > > showing the insane amount of weight I was carrying. I had lost 20-30 lbs
      > > before finding Fast-5 back in December of 2008. But using a combination of
      > > low/zero carb combined with Fast-5 I've slowly been able to get down to my
      > > high school weight and EASILY keep it off. This photo was taken after a
      > > 3-mile walk that included 400 push-ups. ;)
      > >
      > > Thanks Dr Herring for all of your help!
      > >
      > > Rick Stewart

      > --
      > Heather Twist
      > http://eatingoffthefoodgrid.blogspot.com/

    • RickS
      Message 2 of 18 , May 2, 2012
        Thanks for the kind words everybody. I forgot to mention that David Nyman said something to me a year or two ago where he said that he maintains 160lbs on a 5'10" frame. Well that's my height so I kept that in mind all this time when it seemed nearly impossible to get down that low that if David can do it, so can I! So a really quick thank you to David for the inspiration. :)

        -Rick

        --- In fast5@yahoogroups.com, "thentor" <bherring@...> wrote:

        > Congrats, Rick! Thanks for sharing your progress!
        >
        > Bert
        >

        > --- In fast5@yahoogroups.com, "RickS" <no3rdseat@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi gang. I just wanted to share a photo. It's over in the photo section under "Rick".
        > >
        > > Over the weekend I hit a milestone of 60lbs lost. I've gone from a max of 221lbs down to 161lbs. The photo shows me with 60lbs worth of weights showing the insane amount of weight I was carrying. I had lost 20-30 lbs before finding Fast-5 back in December of 2008. But using a combination of low/zero carb combined with Fast-5 I've slowly been able to get down to my high school weight and EASILY keep it off. This photo was taken after a 3-mile walk that included 400 push-ups. ;)
        > >
        > > Thanks Dr Herring for all of your help!
        > >
        > > Rick Stewart

      • David Nyman
        Message 3 of 18 , May 2, 2012
          Well done Rick, you look terrific. It's good to know I was of some help, however slight.  It's rather daunting to be a role model though - I've got to try to live up to it now!

          David

          On 2 May 2012 19:13, RickS <no3rdseat@...> wrote:

          Thanks for the kind words everybody. I forgot to mention that David Nyman said something to me a year or two ago where he said that he maintains 160lbs on a 5'10" frame. Well that's my height so I kept that in mind all this time when it seemed nearly impossible to get down that low that if David can do it, so can I! So a really quick thank you to David for the inspiration. :)

          -Rick

          --- In fast5@yahoogroups.com, "thentor" <bherring@...> wrote:

          > Congrats, Rick! Thanks for sharing your progress!
          >
          > Bert
          >

          > --- In fast5@yahoogroups.com, "RickS" <no3rdseat@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi gang. I just wanted to share a photo. It's over in the photo section under "Rick".
          > >
          > > Over the weekend I hit a milestone of 60lbs lost. I've gone from a max of 221lbs down to 161lbs. The photo shows me with 60lbs worth of weights showing the insane amount of weight I was carrying. I had lost 20-30 lbs before finding Fast-5 back in December of 2008. But using a combination of low/zero carb combined with Fast-5 I've slowly been able to get down to my high school weight and EASILY keep it off. This photo was taken after a 3-mile walk that included 400 push-ups. ;)
          > >
          > > Thanks Dr Herring for all of your help!
          > >
          > > Rick Stewart

        • kevgroups1248
          Message 4 of 18 , May 2, 2012
            Can we get some more detail on your routine? I'm looking for inspiration myself. What kind of workout/frequency? How much do you eat in the window? That kind of thing.

            Thanks

            --- In fast5@yahoogroups.com, "RickS" <no3rdseat@...> wrote:

            > Thanks for the kind words everybody. I forgot to mention that David Nyman said something to me a year or two ago where he said that he maintains 160lbs on a 5'10" frame. Well that's my height so I kept that in mind all this time when it seemed nearly impossible to get down that low that if David can do it, so can I! So a really quick thank you to David for the inspiration. :)
            >
            > -Rick
            >
            > --- In fast5@yahoogroups.com, "thentor" <bherring@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Congrats, Rick! Thanks for sharing your progress!
            > >
            > > Bert
            > >

            > > --- In fast5@yahoogroups.com, "RickS" <no3rdseat@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi gang. I just wanted to share a photo. It's over in the photo section under "Rick".
            > > >
            > > > Over the weekend I hit a milestone of 60lbs lost. I've gone from a max of 221lbs down to 161lbs. The photo shows me with 60lbs worth of weights showing the insane amount of weight I was carrying. I had lost 20-30 lbs before finding Fast-5 back in December of 2008. But using a combination of low/zero carb combined with Fast-5 I've slowly been able to get down to my high school weight and EASILY keep it off. This photo was taken after a 3-mile walk that included 400 push-ups. ;)
            > > >
            > > > Thanks Dr Herring for all of your help!
            > > >
            > > > Rick Stewart

          • RickS
            Message 5 of 18 , May 4, 2012
              Thanks David. No pressure, LOL!

              -Rick

              --- In fast5@yahoogroups.com, David Nyman <david@...> wrote:

              > Well done Rick, you look terrific. It's good to know I was of some help,
              > however slight. It's rather daunting to be a role model though - I've got
              > to try to live up to it now!
              >
              > David
              >
              > On 2 May 2012 19:13, RickS <no3rdseat@...> wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > Thanks for the kind words everybody. I forgot to mention that David Nyman
              > > said something to me a year or two ago where he said that he maintains
              > > 160lbs on a 5'10" frame. Well that's my height so I kept that in mind all
              > > this time when it seemed nearly impossible to get down that low that if
              > > David can do it, so can I! So a really quick thank you to David for the
              > > inspiration. :)
              > >
              > > -Rick
              > >

              > > --- In fast5@yahoogroups.com, "thentor" <bherring@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Congrats, Rick! Thanks for sharing your progress!
              > > >
              > > > Bert

              > > section under "Rick".

              > > of 221lbs down to 161lbs. The photo shows me with 60lbs worth of weights
              > > showing the insane amount of weight I was carrying. I had lost 20-30 lbs
              > > before finding Fast-5 back in December of 2008. But using a combination of
              > > low/zero carb combined with Fast-5 I've slowly been able to get down to my
              > > high school weight and EASILY keep it off. This photo was taken after a
              > > 3-mile walk that included 400 push-ups. ;)

            • RickS
              Message 6 of 18 , May 4, 2012
                I have tried just about every combination of foods, timing, exercise, etc and what I've settled on is mostly zero-carb carnivorous diet. Fast-5 is one of those things that make you question everything you thought you knew about life in general. Once I realized that I didn't need to eat 3-5 meals a day, and I didn't need a post-workout recovery meal, and calories don't matter unless you eat carbs, I broke it down a bit at a time over time to find that if I eat a bowl of 1-2 lbs of fatty meat for dinner, I'm perfectly satiated, have plenty of energy, and stay nice and thin.

                So basically what I do is eat my daily bowl of meat and about a tablespoon of cold pressed hemp seed or pumpkin seed oil per day for unprocessed and unheated O-3's and O-6's (check out Brian Peskin dot com).

                For exercise, I usually go outside and walk in the city during my lunch hour and as I go, I try to get in 100-400 pushups a day.

                That seems to do the trick. My wife thinks I'm nuts so I promised her I would go and have a physical when the scale gets to 159 and then call it good enough. I'm really curious to see what my lab work with show. I'll post it here when I find out. Still have a couple of pounds to go... ;)

                -Rick

              • Lovellsjl@aol.com
                Message 7 of 18 , May 4, 2012
                  Good job, Rick!  You look great!

                  How many carb grams did you limit yourself too and are what kind of tweaking to the diet have you done to maintain?  Just curious.

                  I've heard from a lot of oeople that Fast-5 works better if you aim for low carb during your window.

                  steve

                  Thanks for the kind words everybody. I forgot to mention that David Nyman said something to me a year or two ago where he said that he maintains 160lbs on a 5'10" frame. Well that's my height so I kept that in mind all this time when it seemed nearly impossible to get down that low that if David can do it, so can I! So a really quick thank you to David for the inspiration. :)

                  -Rick

                  --- In fast5@yahoogroups.com, "thentor" <bherring@...> wrote:

                  > Congrats, Rick! Thanks for sharing your progress!
                  >
                  > Bert
                  >

                  > --- In fast5@yahoogroups.com, "RickS" <no3rdseat@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi gang. I just wanted to share a photo. It's over in the photo section under "Rick".
                  > >
                  > > Over the weekend I hit a milestone of 60lbs lost. I've gone from a max of 221lbs down to 161lbs. The photo shows me with 60lbs worth of weights showing the insane amount of weight I was carrying. I had lost 20-30 lbs before finding Fast-5 back in December of 2008. But using a combination of low/zero carb combined with Fast-5 I've slowly been able to get down to my high school weight and EASILY keep it off. This photo was taken after a 3-mile walk that included 400 push-ups. ;)
                  > >
                  > > Thanks Dr Herring for all of your help!
                  > >
                  > > Rick Stewart

                • RickS
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 5, 2012
                    Currently doing zero-carb. I find that at this point in my journey, any carbs give me incredible cravings so I tend to overeat and gain weight. I find too that even nuts and cheese make me REALLY crave more food- so they're out of the picture. Maybe at some point I can start adding back some vegetables but for now I'm doing really well with ZC.

                    -Rick

                    --- In fast5@yahoogroups.com, Lovellsjl@... wrote:

                    > Good job, Rick! You look great!
                    >
                    > How many carb grams did you limit yourself too and are what kind of tweaking to the diet have you done to maintain? Just curious.
                    >
                    > I've heard from a lot of oeople that Fast-5 works better if you aim for low carb during your window.
                    >
                    > steve

                  • sandiofhb
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 6, 2012
                      Hi Rick,

                      Big Congrats to you!!!

                      I'm curious as to what a "daily bowl of meat" consists of.

                      I love the Fast-5 concept and find I have so much more energy on it and I also think the low/no carb idea makes SO much sense. So I am very interested in your 1-2 lbs of fatty meat for dinner regime.

                      ~Sandi

                      Message 10 of 18 , May 7, 2012
                        Sandi-

                        Really simple- Take some ground beef, lamb, bison, or goat- put it in a pan or a pot, turn on the heat and cook it. :) Whatever fat or juice cooks out, pour it along with the meat into a bowl and eat it. No spices, no other ingredients- just meat. I try not to cook it too long because some of the polyunsaturated fats are heat sensitive. So just before or just past the point where the meat turns brown I'll turn it off. I tend to stock up on local, grass fed, pastured meats directly from the farm. It has a better fat profile and flavor. If I run out, I'll use freshly ground corn-fed animals from my local butcher. Sometimes I'll splurge on a rib-eye or delmonico and just sear the outside so the center is raw. But mostly I eat some kind of ground ruminant for dinner.

                        -Rick

                        Message 11 of 18 , May 8, 2012
                          thought I replied, but don't see it.

                          They need a like button here. I was leaning towards "low carb" and fast-5. Your zero carb plan really appeals to me. Its funny how prior to low carb and IF, the idea of going all day without food and just eating a pile of meat would be crazy, but it works quite well.

                          I've been fairly low carb for a while, but not much progress, for a number of reasons. I keep getting "noise" from other people about diet plans, nuts have become my snack (but I go overboard), and it seems like the last month or so have been non-stop social events.

                          The "noise" has probably been the most damaging. Lots of ideas. I'm usually pretty good at ignoring that, but without my own visible progress, its tough to stick to your guns. However, I'm guessing if I literally skip food all day and eat a pile of meat with no carbs, and don't have any progress, then I have some kind of extreme metabolic condition. Especially since I'm at the top of the hill, weight wise. It should drop off pretty fast in the beginning.

                          I also like the workout plan. Dead simple. I'm probably starting with just pushups in the morning, but will expand that given the opportunity. Did my first AM pushup day just now.

                          I have a similar amount to lose. Eventually, anyway. The immediate goal would be 20-25. Would need to lose 50 to get back to high school weight. I'd love to get there, but much of my work is networking BS, so it can be tough. "Want a drink, some bread?" "No, just a chunk of meat, thanks." On the flip side, if I was down 40-50 lbs, it would be a lot easier to get away with that kind of stuff.

                          Speaking of work, I'm rambling. Should go to work.

                          Clarification. When you say you walk around and do 100-400 pushups, you mean you walk around and literally stop and do some pushups, on the sidewalk?

                          Anyway, awesome job. Thanks for the info. See how it goes...

                          --- In fast5@yahoogroups.com, "RickS" <no3rdseat@...> wrote:

                          > I have tried just about every combination of foods, timing, exercise, etc and what I've settled on is mostly zero-carb carnivorous diet. Fast-5 is one of those things that make you question everything you thought you knew about life in general. Once I realized that I didn't need to eat 3-5 meals a day, and I didn't need a post-workout recovery meal, and calories don't matter unless you eat carbs, I broke it down a bit at a time over time to find that if I eat a bowl of 1-2 lbs of fatty meat for dinner, I'm perfectly satiated, have plenty of energy, and stay nice and thin.
                          >
                          > So basically what I do is eat my daily bowl of meat and about a tablespoon of cold pressed hemp seed or pumpkin seed oil per day for unprocessed and unheated O-3's and O-6's (check out Brian Peskin dot com).
                          >
                          > For exercise, I usually go outside and walk in the city during my lunch hour and as I go, I try to get in 100-400 pushups a day.
                          >
                          > That seems to do the trick. My wife thinks I'm nuts so I promised her I would go and have a physical when the scale gets to 159 and then call it good enough. I'm really curious to see what my lab work with show. I'll post it here when I find out. Still have a couple of pounds to go... ;)
                          >
                          > -Rick
                          >

                          > --- In fast5@yahoogroups.com, "kevgroups1248" <kevin@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Can we get some more detail on your routine? I'm looking for inspiration myself. What kind of workout/frequency? How much do you eat in the window? That kind of thing.
                          > >
                          > > Thanks
                          > >
                          > > --- In fast5@yahoogroups.com, "RickS" <no3rdseat@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Thanks for the kind words everybody. I forgot to mention that David Nyman said something to me a year or two ago where he said that he maintains 160lbs on a 5'10" frame. Well that's my height so I kept that in mind all this time when it seemed nearly impossible to get down that low that if David can do it, so can I! So a really quick thank you to David for the inspiration. :)
                          > > >
                          > > > -Rick

                        • RickS
                          Message 12 of 18 , May 9, 2012
                            Do you know, cashews, peanut butter, and almond butters are my downfall! But they have carbs so they're off the list of what I can eat. I think that's why ZC works so well for me. Most of my "trigger" foods contain carbs so I tend to binge on them.

                            As far as social gatherings, I find it helps to develop a liking for whiskey, rum, and other spirits. :) They contain no carbs. (However, when you drink alcohol keep in mind that your body immediately starts converting the alcohol to energy in the liver. Insulin isn't released in response to alcohol, but your body uses the byproduct of alcohol metabolism for fuel BEFORE it uses anything else. So the entire time your body is burning the alcohol, you're not losing weight. This can stall weight loss if you have two or three drinks a day- that's several hours a day that you are not burning fat.) At parties or gatherings I like chicken wings with no sauce or "plain". Shrimp without cocktail sauce is good too. Cheddar cheese squares are another common "social" food. There are several finger foods you can find that have no carbs- you just need to know what to look for. That way you can eat up and nobody's the wiser. :)

                            As far as exercise goes, I work in Washington DC so there are tons of parks to walk around in. I just put on my headphones and pick a direction. Whenever I see a park bench, I stop walking, put my feet up on the bench and do a set of pushups, then start walking till I come to another bench or low wall, etc. I have light and heavy days and it all goes by how I feel. Some days I'll just do maybe eight park benches with 12 pushups each. Other days I might do 16 park benches of 25 pushups each. Today I did 8 parkbenches of 25 and eight park benches of 15. Some days I do 3 sets of 50. So it's all by feel and it seems to work pretty well for me.

                            So all this stuff I do has been a long work in progress and I'm sure it'll be different next year. So I can't say if someone could just jump in and do this immediately. Zero carb takes some getting used to and some people have flu-like symptoms for a few days at first. Doing lots of pushups and walking could make you sore at first, combined with no carbs, you could be a mess. :) I'm just saying. For me it's easy, your mileage may vary.

                            There are a couple of links that could help with all of this:

                            http://forum.zeroinginonhealth.com/
                            http://www.bodyweightculture.com/forum/content.php

                            Plus there is a really good, active Facebook group called ZeroingInOnHealth. And they have a "Like" button. ;)