Re: [Farrier Tramp and Eagle 20 Tri's] What motor for Tramp?

  • rndy_chpmn
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 10, 2006
      --- In farriertrampandeagle20tris@yahoogroups.com, "Steven Baum"
      <jesrbaum@...> wrote:

      > >From: "rndy_chpmn" <rchapman11@...>
      > > Has anybody found a 4 or 5hp 2 stroke outboard that can be tilted
      > >clear of water when not in use?
      > > Is everybody using a long shaft? It looks to me that it is only 15
      > >inches to water and you can use regular shaft.
      > >Randy
      >
      > Randy,
      > My Eagle came with a 4 HP 2 stroke Mariner with a 20" shaft (really
      a Yamaha
      > with a different decal). The previous owner had ground away a
      little glass
      > on the underside of the boat where the mid section of the engine
      struck it
      > when raised. That engine was out of the water when sailing (in
      tilted up
      > position). I owned the boat for about 8 years and eventually
      repowered it
      > with a 4 HP 4 stroke Yamaha with a 20" shaft. The new engines tilt
      notches
      > did not take the engine completely out of the water when on a starboard
      > tack, so I used a bungy cord to hold the engine the additional few
      inches in
      > the tilted position when sailing. Unless of course I was real lazy
      and did
      > not mind the prop touching the water when on a starboard tack...by not
      > installing the bungy cord.
      > Best regards,
      > Steve Baum

      Steve , thanks for the reply. I was thinking Yamaha might be a good
      engine. Other Yamahas I have seem pretty reliable. The 4.5 Evinrude I
      have now will not clear water although I have not looked at modifying
      stern.
      Randy
    • rndy_chpmn
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 10, 2006
        Gary, thanks for reply. Actually I will probably be motoring in calm
        water most of the time in a canal. Anytime outside of canal and if it
        is choppy there will be enough wind to sail. So I may try a regular
        shaft if I come across one.

        Randy
      • Steven Baum
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 10, 2006
          >Steve , thanks for the reply. I was thinking Yamaha might be a good
          >engine. Other Yamahas I have seem pretty reliable. The 4.5 Evinrude I
          >have now will not clear water although I have not looked at modifying
          >stern.
          >Randy

          Randy,
          I was very pleased with the Yamaha 4 stroke 20 in. shaft, but I forgot to
          mention that I changed the prop after getting the engine and achieved better
          top speed and better mid range with less RPM. The new prop was a bit larger
          in diameter and less pitch and was only about $35.
          Best regards,
          Steve Baum
        • trimaran_man
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 16, 2006
            --- In farriertrampandeagle20tris@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Vandersluis"
            <gvandersluis@...> wrote:

            > You need a long shaft unless you are always going to be motoring in
            calm
            > water any chop and a regular shaft will cavitate
            >

            > >From: "rndy_chpmn" <rchapman11@...>
            > >To: farriertrampandeagle20tris@yahoogroups.com
            > >Subject: [Farrier Tramp and Eagle 20 Tri's] What motor for Tramp?
            > >Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2006 17:00:18 -0000
            > >
            > > Has anybody found a 4 or 5hp 2 stroke outboard that can be tilted
            > >clear of water when not in use?
            > > Is everybody using a long shaft? It looks to me that it is only
            15
            > >inches to water and you can use regular shaft.
            > >
            > >Randy

            I have a Honda 5 HP long shaft that works great. I have not, however
            put it on the boat for 3 or 4 years. I've been using a 55lb thrust
            salt water Minn Kota (really long shaft that slides on the mount so
            you can get it way up or down} with a small sealed gel cell battery. I
            mostly use the motor just to get in and out of the marina. I also have
            a small solar panel mounted on the boat to keep battery charged. I
            love this setup. No noise, easy to use the motor to steer. I probably
            will never put the Honda on unless I am going long distance.
          • rndy_chpmn
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 16, 2006
              --- In farriertrampandeagle20tris@yahoogroups.com, "trimaran_man"
              <trimaran_man@...> wrote:

              > --- In farriertrampandeagle20tris@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Vandersluis"
              > <gvandersluis@> wrote:
              > >
              > > You need a long shaft unless you are always going to be motoring in
              > calm
              > > water any chop and a regular shaft will cavitate
              > >

              > > >From: "rndy_chpmn" <rchapman11@>
              > > >To: farriertrampandeagle20tris@yahoogroups.com
              > > >Subject: [Farrier Tramp and Eagle 20 Tri's] What motor for Tramp?
              > > >Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2006 17:00:18 -0000
              > > >
              > > > Has anybody found a 4 or 5hp 2 stroke outboard that can be tilted
              > > >clear of water when not in use?
              > > > Is everybody using a long shaft? It looks to me that it is only
              > 15
              > > >inches to water and you can use regular shaft.
              > > >
              > > >Randy
              > > >

              > I have a Honda 5 HP long shaft that works great. I have not, however
              > put it on the boat for 3 or 4 years. I've been using a 55lb thrust
              > salt water Minn Kota (really long shaft that slides on the mount so
              > you can get it way up or down} with a small sealed gel cell battery. I
              > mostly use the motor just to get in and out of the marina. I also have
              > a small solar panel mounted on the boat to keep battery charged. I
              > love this setup. No noise, easy to use the motor to steer. I probably
              > will never put the Honda on unless I am going long distance.

              I had thought about using a trolling motor but I don't know if they
              have enough oomph. Today I went out and ran in to about a 5 knot
              current both going out and then returning. My 4.5 hp was barely able
              to move thru that current. I also have to travel more than a mile
              before I get to open water. Not sure how long a battery would last at
              full thrust. Like the idea of sliding shaft.

              Randy