Re: [Fantasy Fiction Dungeon] Re: Star Wars - who wrote the original storyline?

  • Saje
    Message 1 of 10 , May 12, 2005
      As far as I'm concerned, much of what has come after completely surpassed the original series AND the new movies as well, though I must admit that the original Star Wars trilogy was quite good enough to set the stage for what came after.

      Saje Williams
      Author; "Loki's Sin," "Of Man and Monster," and "Freak City."
      Forthcoming from Wings ePress
      http://www.sajewilliams.com
      Message 2 of 10 , May 12, 2005
        Well here's the rub...I was alive and kicking during the first
        triology and I honestly remember the "buzz" of the time being that
        the first Star Wars movie was actually the ninth book of a series.I
        remember my father discussing it back then and that the basic ideas
        were "comic book like" at the time... I do remember Lucas being the
        author but I have always wanted to get down to the truth of it.
        Yvette

        --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "Saje" <soulsaje@c...>

      • mvonkann2000
        Message 3 of 10 , May 13, 2005
          Originally Star Wars was episode 4, which is why on new dvds of the
          movie it says episode 4 at the top. The whole series originally was
          supposed to center around C3PO and R2D2, who are the only characters
          to continue through the whole thing. It seems unlikely that Lucas
          will do the last trilogy.

          Message 4 of 10 , May 16, 2005
            I can say the novelizations, beginning with Timothy Zahn's Heir to
            the empire and everything that has come after have been really good.
            I do think they need more post episode IV writing, but before the
            conclusion of the series. There's a big gap there.

            Matt

            Message 5 of 10 , May 16, 2005
              U do remember there being 9 parts, but not before IV. As far back as
              1980, there were rumors that t was Obi Wan or made Anakin into Darth
              Vader, making him fall into a vat of acid or some such during a
              lightsaber duel. The rumors were rampant after Empire Strikes Back
              came out.

              Matt

              Message 6 of 10 , May 16, 2005
                Thank you everyone. I saw episode 1 and I was not sure of I liked it
                so I have not seen episode 2. Once all of them are complete I will
                eventually wstch them but I was happy with the original trilogy. I
                did not need any prequels.... but I'll keep my options open. I just
                saw Chron of Riddick for the first time the other day and thought it
                was decent.

                --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "Matt" <gauvaine@y...>
                wrote:
                > U do remember there being 9 parts, but not before IV. As far back
                as
                > 1980, there were rumors that t was Obi Wan or made Anakin into
                Darth
                > Vader, making him fall into a vat of acid or some such during a
                > lightsaber duel. The rumors were rampant after Empire Strikes Back
                > came out.
                >
                > Matt
                >

                > --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "Yvette"
                > <yvette_n_chad@y...> wrote:
                > > Well here's the rub...I was alive and kicking during the first
                > > triology and I honestly remember the "buzz" of the time being
                that
                > > the first Star Wars movie was actually the ninth book of a
                > series.I
                > > remember my father discussing it back then and that the basic
                > ideas
                > > were "comic book like" at the time... I do remember Lucas being
                > the
                > > author but I have always wanted to get down to the truth of it.
                > > Yvette
                > >

                > > --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "Saje"
                > <soulsaje@c...>
                > > wrote:
                > > > As far as I'm concerned, much of what has come after
                completely
                > > surpassed the original series AND the new movies as well, though
                > > must admit that the original Star Wars trilogy was quite good
                > enough
                > > to set the stage for what came after.
                > > >
                > > > Saje Williams
                > > > Author; "Loki's Sin," "Of Man and Monster," and "Freak City."
                > > > Forthcoming from Wings ePress
                > > > http://www.sajewilliams.com

                Terms

                Message 7 of 10 , May 16, 2005
                  Well, the first prequel was . . . bad. The second one was half-good.
                  The next one i hope is all good, like Empire Strikes Back was. The
                  rumor that Lucas is also doing a prequel-esque one hour television
                  show that will run for 100 episodes is also intriquing. It would be
                  something if sci-fi channel bought into that or if Fox would want to
                  pick it up, which i doubt.

                  <yvette_n_chad@y...> wrote:
                  > Thank you everyone. I saw episode 1 and I was not sure of I liked
                  it
                  > so I have not seen episode 2. Once all of them are complete I
                  will
                  > eventually wstch them but I was happy with the original trilogy. I
                  > did not need any prequels.... but I'll keep my options open. I
                  just
                  > saw Chron of Riddick for the first time the other day and thought
                  it
                  > was decent.
                  >

                  > --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "Matt"
                  <gauvaine@y...>
                  > wrote:
                  > > U do remember there being 9 parts, but not before IV. As far
                  back
                  > as
                  > > 1980, there were rumors that t was Obi Wan or made Anakin into
                  > Darth
                  > > Vader, making him fall into a vat of acid or some such during a
                  > > lightsaber duel. The rumors were rampant after Empire Strikes
                  Back
                  > > came out.
                  > >
                  > > Matt
                  > >

                  > > --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "Yvette"
                  > > <yvette_n_chad@y...> wrote:
                  > > > Well here's the rub...I was alive and kicking during the first
                  > > > triology and I honestly remember the "buzz" of the time being
                  > that
                  > > > the first Star Wars movie was actually the ninth book of a
                  > > series.I
                  > > > remember my father discussing it back then and that the basic
                  > > ideas
                  > > > were "comic book like" at the time... I do remember Lucas
                  being
                  > > the
                  > > > author but I have always wanted to get down to the truth of
                  it.
                  > > > Yvette
                  > > >

                  > > > --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "Saje"
                  > > <soulsaje@c...>
                  > completely
                  > > > surpassed the original series AND the new movies as well,
                  though
                  > > > must admit that the original Star Wars trilogy was quite good
                  > > enough
                  > > > to set the stage for what came after.

                • trevinwolfe
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 17, 2005
                    When the original Star Wars was originally conceived, Lucas had
                    started out thinking of it as one movie. As he continued to write,
                    he realized it would take at least three movies to tell his original
                    tale. He made Star Wars as a complete movie in itself because he
                    never thought it would go very far. After Star Wars became so
                    successful, he then announced that it was actually the fourth chapter
                    of nine. It was only when Star Wars was re-released in 1980, just
                    before the release of Empire Strikes Back, that "Chapter IV: A New
                    Hope" was added to the beginning of the movie's introduction.

                    I recall that soon after Return of the Jedi, there was a series of
                    three books that was advertised as being the "official" final three
                    chapters of the saga. I don't remember the names of those books
                    though.

                    As far as other prequel material being released, I saw the first
                    season" of the Cartoon Network series, Clone Wars. Perhaps that is
                    the prequel that is being talked about. The cartoons were about 2
                    hours long in something like 20 episodes. Fairly well done I thought.

                    Side note, has anyone noticed that when the original series was
                    released, the emphasis in the title lettering was on the name of the
                    chapter, but now it's the chapter number?

                    wrote:
                    > Well, the first prequel was . . . bad. The second one was half-
                    good.
                    > The next one i hope is all good, like Empire Strikes Back was. The
                    > rumor that Lucas is also doing a prequel-esque one hour television
                    > show that will run for 100 episodes is also intriquing. It would be
                    > something if sci-fi channel bought into that or if Fox would want
                    > pick it up, which i doubt.
                    >

                    > --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "Yvette"
                    > <yvette_n_chad@y...> wrote:
                    > > Thank you everyone. I saw episode 1 and I was not sure of I liked
                    > it
                    > > so I have not seen episode 2. Once all of them are complete I
                    > will
                    > > eventually wstch them but I was happy with the original trilogy.
                    > > did not need any prequels.... but I'll keep my options open. I
                    > just
                    > > saw Chron of Riddick for the first time the other day and thought
                    > it
                    > > was decent.
                    > >

                    > > --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "Matt"
                    > <gauvaine@y...>
                    > > wrote:
                    > > > U do remember there being 9 parts, but not before IV. As far
                    > back
                    > > as
                    > > > 1980, there were rumors that t was Obi Wan or made Anakin into
                    > > Darth
                    > > > Vader, making him fall into a vat of acid or some such during a
                    > > > lightsaber duel. The rumors were rampant after Empire Strikes
                    > Back
                    > > > came out.
                    > > >
                    > > > Matt
                    > > >

                    > > > --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "Yvette"
                    > > that
                    > > > series.I
                    > > > ideas
                    > being
                    > > > the
                    > it.

                    > > > <soulsaje@c...>
                    > > completely
                    > though
                    > > > enough

                    City."

                  • Saje
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 17, 2005
                      Now THAT would ROCK.

                      Well, it could rock. Depending on who did it and how it was done.

                      Something has to replace Star Trek...since it's obvious that more Star Trek isn't going to do it.

                      Message 10 of 10 , May 27, 2005
                        Trevin.. you are right and thank you for confirming the "9". I did
                        notice the emphasis change on the title.... As for prequel' it was
                        the movie with Liam Neeson and the little boy who played Anakin (
                        Darth before the darkside)...

                        -- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, trevinwolfe