Re: [Fantasy Fiction Dungeon] Cloning

  • Saje
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 25, 2005
      I'm not sure Hollywood could overdo the whole 'cloning thing,' as you put it. Genetic engineering and the associated technologies could very well have an immense impact on the future. It almost goes without saying.

      Hollywood's exploration of the topic has been a little heavy-handed, and not very deep, but there's been at least a fair attempt to balance the possibilities, offering us images of both good and bad. Not much more than the sci-fi authors have been doing for the past twenty-five years.

      Hell, if you think the sci-fi offerings from Hollywood have been "shlocky" nonsense, one could only say that what they'd done until recently with the fantasy genre was pure evisceration. Conan was tolerable, Willow was pretty good, but not until LOTR did they show that they could make a fantasy film that didn't come across as more or less a waste of time and money.

      Saje Williams
      Author; "Loki's Sin," "Of Man and Monster," and "Freak City."
      Forthcoming from Wings ePress
      http://www.sajewilliams.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 27, 2005
        Human cloning is a topic that certainly deserves to be explored a
        little more deeply...the question is... Is "hollywood" the ideal
        candidate to do the exploring? Schmaltzy, recipe driven themes do
        not evolve forethought of the true possibilities on that horizon. I
        would prefer a simpler, original and altruistic approach found in
        the independent film realm.

        --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "Saje" <soulsaje@c...>

        Message 3 of 4 , May 3, 2005
          Well, i wasn't necessarily thinking Hollywood was overplaying their
          hand, just that the article in the NYTimes i referred to was keying
          on that, highlighting the dearth of cloning movies, schlocky or
          Grade A.

          However, i agree with the fantasy movies. Pitiful stuff. The
          material has always been there, but also the wont to cut corners,
          not put money into it, and the writing and acting to be terrible.
          For every Dark Crystal or Legend, there's a Dragonslayer or Red
          Sonja to balance out the quality or at least unique try at being
          thoughtful.

          Message 4 of 4 , May 3, 2005
            Well, the material is there. The angles are there. The question of
            what it means to be human is a constant in most stories, sci fi or
            not. I'm sure they could come up with something. It will be
            interesting to see what THE ISLAND looks like.

            --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "Yvette"