Re: What is everyone reading?

  • Mouse
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 1, 2005
      Currently I am reading Incubus Dreams by Laurell K. Hamilton.

      Sorry, if this is short I still feel out of it. The divorce should
      be final by May but all the paperwork and finding a job here has
      proven difficlt in most part.

      Mouse

      --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "Matt" <gauvaine@y...>
      wrote:

      > I picked up Kage Baker's Anvil of the World and Tad Williams's
      > Shadowmarch and a few other things. I'm still reading Mr. Norell
      and
      > Johnathan Strange and then there's my 20 high stack that i'm trying
      > to whittle down.
      >
      > Kage Baker's fantasy reads like something Jack Vance or Robert
      > Silverberg would write. Very colorful with lots of flavor but with
      > stick to the basics plot, dialogue and action, i.e., get the story
      > going and stand back and let the sparks fly.
      >
      > Shadowmarch sounds alot like memory, sorrow, and thorn, so i'm
      > looking forward to reading it.
    • Vaidah
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 2, 2005
        Mouse,

        > Currently I am reading Incubus Dreams by Laurell K.
        > Hamilton.

        How are you finding ID? I feel that everything after
        Obsidian Butterfly has gotten kinda erm...porn heavy.
        Cerulean Sins was 658 pages long and I swear, there
        was 600 pages of sex....

        Vaidah

        =====
        <b>Jodie:</b> 2T ROCKED!!! Esp that thing with the things thinging the thing!!!! *bouncy spaz* Hot damn that was kewl!!

        <b>Leo:</b> Also, I ish the innocentsted and most sanestests person in the Shipper universe

        http://my.yahoo.com
      • Jeff C.
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 2, 2005
          I have to agree. Sex can be a useful tool in moving
          the story along, but all of her recent books have been
          more bodice ripper than story.

          I gave up reading her.

          --- Vaidah <alorarose@...> wrote:

          > How are you finding ID? I feel that everything
          > after
          > Obsidian Butterfly has gotten kinda erm...porn
          > heavy.
          > Cerulean Sins was 658 pages long and I swear, there
          > was 600 pages of sex....
          >
          > Vaidah
          >

          > =====
          > <b>Jodie:</b> 2T ROCKED!!! Esp that thing with the
          > things thinging the thing!!!! *bouncy spaz* Hot damn
          > that was kewl!!
          >
          > <b>Leo:</b> Also, I ish the innocentsted and most
          > sanestests person in the Shipper universe

          > http://my.yahoo.com

          http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
        • Vaidah
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 2, 2005
            Exactly. Used properly, I would not have minded the
            sex. Considering it was important to Jean Claude's
            power. But when you have page after page of sex with
            everything that movies? It took me forever to get
            through that book. It wasn't even good sex. Ugh.

            =====
            <b>Jodie:</b> 2T ROCKED!!! Esp that thing with the things thinging the thing!!!! *bouncy spaz* Hot damn that was kewl!!

            <b>Leo:</b> Also, I ish the innocentsted and most sanestests person in the Shipper universe

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          • Saje
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 2, 2005
              As much as I loved the first part of the series, the last three books have left me a little cold. Even my wife says so, and she reads a lot of paranormal romance that includes quite a bit of erotica.

              Laurell didn't have to go that route, considering that her series about the Fey, the Merry Gentry series, was like that from the beginning.

              Ah, well... Paranormal romance/erotica is really popular right now. I guess she felt like cashing in on the trend.

              Saje Williams
              Author of "Loki's Sin" and "Of Man and Monster."
              Forthcoming from Wings ePress
              http://www.sajewilliams.com

              =====

              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 3, 2005
                the thing with the Merry Gentry series is that Merry
                needs to get pregnant. So it's not exactly as if this
                came out of nowhere. And she has to have some
                discretion over who she beds. Anita is just screwing
                anyone that comes along....meh... For a character
                that was abstinant until what was it? Blue Moon?
                it's kinda overboard.

                also, i remember Laurell saying in an interview that
                she didn't feel comfortable writing sex scenes. I
                wonder what happened...maybe you're right in the
                cashing in...

                I'll just read the first ones over and over.

                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 4, 2005
                  I will admit that it is a bit of slooooowwwwww reading. My
                  boyfriend gets a kick out of her writing but then he is into Anime.
                  I also have started reading the series from Goodkind. So far I like
                  that series a lot better, but then has anyone read J.D. Robb
                  lately. The sex in that series has gone down.

                  Mouse

                  --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "Saje" <soulsaje@c...>