Book Review...

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 10, 2005
      continuing the trend, I have another book review to post. This one is
      for "Dies the Fire," by S.M. Stirling.

      Dies the Fire is the latest novel of an alternate history from S.M.
      Stirling. The novel examines what would happen if suddenly the
      technology available to us was that of 400-500 years ago. No
      electricity, no engines, not even gunpowder (aparently the laws of
      physics and chemistry changed). The book is quite entertaining as you
      follow two different groups, a wiccan group and a group of warriors
      led by an ex-marine as they try to bring some semblance of
      civilization back to the Willamette Valley in Oregon.

      My only complaint about the story is that everything is just too
      predictable. In one scene Mike Havel (the ex-marine) wishes that they
      could find someone to teach swordfighting. Shortly after that, a
      women joins the group in a small Idaho town who just happens to be a
      fencing instuctor. Things like that happen continually throughout the
      book. If you can get by that you will probably enjoy the book. This
      book is the ultimate revenge for the SCA types that seem to be the
      only ones that are "prepared" for this change.

      Overall I would give it 4 out of 5 stars.