Looking for recommendations

  • ellowan
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2004
      I was wondering if I could solicit recommendations, or short reviews
      (no spoilers, please) concerning this list of books that I'm
      considering reading. Thanks in advance!

      Alistair Reynolds: "Revelation Space"
      Iain M. Banks: The Culture novels
      Greg Egan: "Diaspora"
      Karl Schroeder: "Ventus"
      Joan Slonczewski: "Brain Plague"
      John C. Wright: "The Golden Age: A Romance of the Far Future"
      David Zindell: Neverness series
      Peter F. Hamilton: Night's Dawn series and "Fallen Dragon"
      Stanislaw Lem: "The Cyberiad"
      Olaf Stapleton: "Starmaker"
      Robert Reed: "Marrow"
      Sean Williams and Shane Dix: "Echoes of Earth"
      Walter Jon Williams: "Aristoi"

      I guess this is sort of a "most interested" to "least interested"
      list for me.
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2, 2004
        Wow, quite the eclectic list you have there, E. Um, the Peter
        Hamilton books are good. They're quite hardcore science fiction, with
        some space opera tinges. They're hard to catgeorize. Alistair
        Reynolds is really good. He's more of a Greg Bear, Gregory Benford
        author with some very British sensibilities, those he's Welsh and
        lives in Holland. Lol.

        Stanislaw Lem. Always good to read one of the masters. Sean Williams
        and Shane Dix's Earth series, i'm not quite sure about. I began the
        first in this series and it didn't really grab me. But don't let that
        sway you. The others, you're on your own. Hope this helps.

        Matt

        --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, ellowan <no_reply@y...>
        wrote:
        > I was wondering if I could solicit recommendations, or short
        reviews
        > (no spoilers, please) concerning this list of books that I'm
        > considering reading. Thanks in advance!
        >
        > Alistair Reynolds: "Revelation Space"
        > Iain M. Banks: The Culture novels
        > Greg Egan: "Diaspora"
        > Karl Schroeder: "Ventus"
        > Joan Slonczewski: "Brain Plague"
        > John C. Wright: "The Golden Age: A Romance of the Far Future"
        > David Zindell: Neverness series
        > Peter F. Hamilton: Night's Dawn series and "Fallen Dragon"
        > Stanislaw Lem: "The Cyberiad"
        > Olaf Stapleton: "Starmaker"
        > Robert Reed: "Marrow"
        > Sean Williams and Shane Dix: "Echoes of Earth"
        > Walter Jon Williams: "Aristoi"
        >
        > I guess this is sort of a "most interested" to "least interested"
        > list for me.
      • ellowan
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 8, 2004
          Thanks for the comments! Alistair Reynolds is at the top of my list
          to start with, so thanks to your recommendation, I'll make finding
          Relevation Space my first priority. Now, I just need to get myself
          to a library.
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 9, 2004
            Chasm City is really good. You might want to try Charles Stross, i
            think his name is. His first book is called . . . Singularity Sky. It
            is quite the quirky book. Just think Douglas Adams and Arthur C.
            Clarke rolled into one. Hard Science fiction, but skewed at a weird
            angle.

            wrote:
            > Thanks for the comments! Alistair Reynolds is at the top of my
            list
            > to start with, so thanks to your recommendation, I'll make finding
            > Relevation Space my first priority. Now, I just need to get myself
            > to a library.
          • ellowan
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 11, 2004
              Chasm City, eh? That would be the sequel? Well, I'll let you know
              what I think of Revelation Space once I get to it, which should be
              before the end of the month.

              You know, going back to the "Political Poser" thread, but somewhat
              tangential to it, Martin writes at the speed of light compared to my
              favorite sci-fi author, Vernor Vinge. I think his complete list of
              novels is Grimm's World (1969), The Witling (1975), The Peace War
              (1984), Marooned in Realtime (1986), A Fire Upon the Deep (1992), and
              A Deepness in the Sky (1999). He's recently announced that he's
              working on what will be his first book of the new millenium, which
              may come out sometime this decade! Anyway, he's got a short story
              out now at
              http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/publicfeature/jul04/0704far.html
              which I believe is an excerpt from said novel. I thought the first
              half was a little slow, honestly, but I really enjoyed the second
              part.
            • Matt Baker
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 12, 2004
                I think Vinge's job as a scientist takes up most of his time. He's not pressed to write. As for Chasm City, it's not related to Revelation Space.

                ellowan <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Chasm City, eh? That would be the sequel? Well, I'll let you know
[...]

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                "For better or worse, you have been marked."