Re: [Fantasy Fiction Dungeon] Digest Number 322

  • MystklDrgn@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2004
      > Well, I was talking about the magnetic pole shift, but just came back from the film and found it was about global warning and the ice caps melting.<<

      ahh, that sounds like more what I thought. Having to do with ozone holes and stuff.

      But again, the ice caps dont melt overnight. Dont have to use any spoilers or anything, I'm just wondering how the movie explained that. I mean the ice caps ARE already melting, we lose what..like 1-3% a year or something? I forget. But why/how that allof the sudden now means global storms - I have no idea.

      I think that may have more to do with one of the Mass Extinction Events (I believe our globe has had between 5-7). That to me points to "sudden" causes of death - which to me makes me think giant comet or something.

      I mean I think the reigning theory at this point in time is the end of the Giant Mammels age was caused by an Impact Event - where a huge chunk of whatever =), slammed into roughly the area now known as South America/pacific ocean. Wiped out like 95% of the animal forms on the planet. The shockwave was felt across the world, changing the environment almost in a matter of days - setting off earthquales, volcanoes, ash covering the world for years, and destroying entire herds, if not species, in a matter of hours - if not days. A sort of Nuclea winter type of thing.

      But to me, the shifting of the poles wont be killing anyone instantly (or the slow melting of ice caps) - which seems finding undigested food in something stomach means it died quickly. I think that might be realted to some metoerite activity.

      But this is all conjecture - even though yes youo're right, such things have been found.

      Science is fun!

      Mystkldrgn
    • Matt Baker
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2004
        Well, according to the movie, the melting of the northern ice caps caused a disruption in the flow of the North Atlantic Current because of the influx of fresh water. The desalinization of the current caused magnetic fluxes, electrical discharges, ionic disruption and temperature drops of up to -150 degrees F because of super frigid air coming down from the troposphere. The North Atlantic Current supposedly provides us all with our nice, moderate climate, warm water mixing and massing with air flow to circulate through the north Atlantic, etc. Disruption of this would frig up things. Hence, the influx of fresh water into the current fouling things, up, supposedly.

        Of course, that all sounds good, but it's a bunch of bunk.

        As everyone knows, what affects us here, affects us there. It was made quite clear in the movie that America and Europe were the main victims/culprits, with all the good, non fossil fuel burning third world countries havens of feel good warmness and undamaged climate. Everything north of the 40th parallel was basically flash frozen within a few days. Hence the wooly mammoths with food still in their stomachs. One minute they're eating grass, the next minute flash frozen by -150 F degree tropospheric air that comes out of nowhere like a death ray pointed by some mad alien conqueror. I'm quite sure that's how it happened 10,000 years ago or so when the last one of these events occurred. Events that always seems to occur, whether we are here or not, but somehow make people think we're important enough to be responsible for things that mother nature has dealt with for eons, with no help from us. We're just in the way.

        That was what i didn't understand. The movie acknowledges that these climate shifts and mass extinction events happen on a recurrent basis and always have, but for some reason, when we're due for another one, it's because of environmental indifference and ozone depletion, flourocarbons, green house warming, SUV's, Brazilian rainforest depletion, third world country exploitation and whatever else you want to throw in there. And not because they just happen. *shrugs* Make what you will. Great special effects, though.

        Matt

        MystklDrgn@... wrote:
        > Well, I was talking about the magnetic pole shift, but just came back from the film and found it was about global warning and the ice caps melting.<<

        ahh, that sounds like more what I thought. Having to do with ozone holes and stuff.

        But again, the ice caps dont melt overnight. Dont have to use any spoilers or anything, I'm just wondering how the movie explained that. I mean the ice caps ARE already melting, we lose what..like 1-3% a year or something? I forget. But why/how that allof the sudden now means global storms - I have no idea.

        I think that may have more to do with one of the Mass Extinction Events (I believe our globe has had between 5-7). That to me points to "sudden" causes of death - which to me makes me think giant comet or something.

        I mean I think the reigning theory at this point in time is the end of the Giant Mammels age was caused by an Impact Event - where a huge chunk of whatever =), slammed into roughly the area now known as South America/pacific ocean. Wiped out like 95% of the animal forms on the planet. The shockwave was felt across the world, changing the environment almost in a matter of days - setting off earthquales, volcanoes, ash covering the world for years, and destroying entire herds, if not species, in a matter of hours - if not days. A sort of Nuclea winter type of thing.

        But to me, the shifting of the poles wont be killing anyone instantly (or the slow melting of ice caps) - which seems finding undigested food in something stomach means it died quickly. I think that might be realted to some metoerite activity.

        But this is all conjecture - even though yes youo're right, such things have been found.

        Science is fun!

        Mystkldrgn

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        "For better or worse, you have been marked."

      • Pamela Mandeville
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2004
          --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, Matt Baker
          <gauvaine@y...> wrote:

          > As everyone knows, what affects us here, affects us there. It was
          made quite clear in the movie that America and Europe were the main
          victims/culprits, with all the good, non fossil fuel burning third
          world countries havens of feel good warmness and undamaged climate.
          Everything north of the 40th parallel was basically flash frozen
          within a few days. Hence the wooly mammoths with food still in their
          stomachs. One minute they're eating grass, the next minute flash
          frozen by -150 F degree tropospheric air that comes out of nowhere
          like a death ray pointed by some mad alien conqueror.

          They also had it happening in just the Northern hemisphere, which is
          not what I've read before. There are 2 poles, 2 ice caps. And
          according to some sources, evidence that there may have been
          civilisation under one of them before the ice covered it. No
          references handy I'm afraid, I must update all this information from
          somewhere.

          Pam
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 2, 2004
            Maybe Atlantis is buried under the South Pole somewhere, eh?

            --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "Pamela Mandeville"