Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: Reading Update

Expand Messages
  • tlbs12b
    I ve just recently finished Fast Food Nation, by Eric Schlosser. It attacks the fast food industry about many of its practices and how it does business. Lord
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 29, 2004
    • 0 Attachment
      I've just recently finished Fast Food Nation, by Eric Schlosser. It
      attacks the fast food industry about many of its practices and how it
      does business. Lord Foul's Bane, by Stephen Donaldson. The first in
      the Thomas Covanent the Unbeliever series. Equal Rites, by Terry
      Pratchett. The third Discworld book, and the first witches book.
      Very funny. A World Out of Time, by Larry Niven.
      What I'm currently working on is Nine Horses, by Billy Collins. A
      collection of poets. Also reading Crimson Petal and the White, by
      Michael Faber. Kushiel's Dart, by Carey. Sandry's Book, the first
      book in the Circle of Magic series, by Tamora Pierce.
      I've enjoyed all of the books I've completed and so far enjoying all
      the ones I'm working on.


      --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "Matt" <gauvaine@y...>
      wrote:
      > What is everyone reading since the last time i asked? I finished
      > Jennifer Government by Max Berry. Very uneven but a fun read, with
      > some very good anti-globalization, mass consumerism rants in it,
      > mostly directed at the United States, of course. The plot was
      > secondary to railing against corporate greed however. I'm surprised
      > that Barry didn't attack Microsoft. He focused mainly on
      McDonald's,
      > Nike, ExxonMobil, and a few others.
      >
      > I picked up Santiago by Mike Resnick, which he wrote nearly 20
      years
      > ago and just is now back in print. Very interesting space opera.
      Fun
      > to read. Less filling, tastes great.
      >
      > Next will be the Dante Club and Talon of the Silver Hawk by Feist.
      >
      >
      > Matt
    • Matt
      I was aware of the distinction. I ve got Deception Point and Gods and Demons, of Dan Brown s. Not as quick reads as Da Vinci Code was. He s definitely struck a
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 29, 2004
      • 0 Attachment
        I was aware of the distinction. I've got Deception Point and Gods and
        Demons, of Dan Brown's. Not as quick reads as Da Vinci Code was. He's
        definitely struck a chord with the public with all his religious
        symobology and historical whodunitness. Mixed with a bit of Clive
        Cussler.


        --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff C." <jpesk@y...>
        wrote:
        > I did see that. It is too bad, because he is a really
        > nice guy, I have met him a couple of times.
        >
        > Digital Fortress is by Dan Brown (Da Vinci Code fame).
        > Pretty interesting read.
        >
        > --- Matt <gauvaine@y...> wrote:
        > > Did you see where Dale Brown got indicted for tax
        > > evasion? I didn't
        > > know he lived up at Incline Village. KOH had him on
        > > there the other
        > > day, talking to him about it.
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        > __________________________________
        > Do you Yahoo!?
        > Win a $20,000 Career Makeover at Yahoo! HotJobs
        > http://hotjobs.sweepstakes.yahoo.com/careermakeover
      • Matt
        I have the Phoenix Guards, but haven t read it yet. The series looked intriguing. ... years ... by ... the ... ... with
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 29, 2004
        • 0 Attachment
          I have the Phoenix Guards, but haven't read it yet. The series looked
          intriguing.

          --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, trevinwolfe
          <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > I have just finished "The Viscount of Adrilankha, Volume Two: The
          > Lord of Castle Black" by Steven Brust. It's one of the "Khaavren
          > Romances" set in his world of Drageara. It picks up about 250
          years
          > after the end of "Five hundred Years After," and lets you know what
          > the the characters, first introduced in "The Phoenix Guards," have
          > been doing in the meantime. It's written, as are all the Khaavren
          > books, in a very effusive style, as if the author were being paid
          by
          > the word, but doesn't bog down too often. I am eagerly awaiting
          the
          > paperback of "Sethra Lavode," which is the last volume of "The
          > Viscount of Adrilankha." This should take us nearly to the time of
          > Bust's Vlad Taltos series.
          >
          > --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "Matt"
          <gauvaine@y...>
          > wrote:
          > > What is everyone reading since the last time i asked? I finished
          > > Jennifer Government by Max Berry. Very uneven but a fun read,
          with
          > > some very good anti-globalization, mass consumerism rants in it,
          > > mostly directed at the United States, of course. The plot was
          > > secondary to railing against corporate greed however. I'm
          > surprised
          > > that Barry didn't attack Microsoft. He focused mainly on
          > McDonald's,
          > > Nike, ExxonMobil, and a few others.
          > >
          > > I picked up Santiago by Mike Resnick, which he wrote nearly 20
          > years
          > > ago and just is now back in print. Very interesting space opera.
          > Fun
          > > to read. Less filling, tastes great.
          > >
          > > Next will be the Dante Club and Talon of the Silver Hawk by Feist.
          > >
          > >
          > > Matt
        • Jeff C.
          Have you checked out Dan Brown s website? It is pretty well done. You can find all kind of secret codes that are hidden in the books, and some interesting
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 29, 2004
          • 0 Attachment
            Have you checked out Dan Brown's website? It is
            pretty well done. You can find all kind of secret
            codes that are hidden in the books, and some
            interesting links. The Da Vinci Code challenge is
            pretty cool.


            --- Matt <gauvaine@...> wrote:
            > I was aware of the distinction. I've got Deception
            > Point and Gods and
            > Demons, of Dan Brown's. Not as quick reads as Da
            > Vinci Code was. He's
            > definitely struck a chord with the public with all
            > his religious
            > symobology and historical whodunitness. Mixed with a
            > bit of Clive
            > Cussler.





            __________________________________
            Do you Yahoo!?
            Win a $20,000 Career Makeover at Yahoo! HotJobs
            http://hotjobs.sweepstakes.yahoo.com/careermakeover
          • Matt
            I ve seen Fast Food Nation, but haven t read it though i can just imagine the info contained therein. As a former fast food employee many yahrens ago, i can
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 29, 2004
            • 0 Attachment
              I've seen Fast Food Nation, but haven't read it though i can just
              imagine the info contained therein. As a former fast food employee
              many yahrens ago, i can testify to the industries diabolical nature.

              I hope you enjoy Lord Foul's Bane, and then the Illearth War and the
              Power that Preserves, which comes after. The Thomas Covenant books
              were some of my favorites, especially the second series. The One Tree
              was on the NY Times bestseller list for ages back when it came out in
              the early 80's. Still one of my favorites.


              Matt

              --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "tlbs12b"
              <tlbs12b@y...> wrote:
              > I've just recently finished Fast Food Nation, by Eric Schlosser.
              It
              > attacks the fast food industry about many of its practices and how
              it
              > does business. Lord Foul's Bane, by Stephen Donaldson. The first
              in
              > the Thomas Covanent the Unbeliever series. Equal Rites, by Terry
              > Pratchett. The third Discworld book, and the first witches book.
              > Very funny. A World Out of Time, by Larry Niven.
              > What I'm currently working on is Nine Horses, by Billy Collins. A
              > collection of poets. Also reading Crimson Petal and the White, by
              > Michael Faber. Kushiel's Dart, by Carey. Sandry's Book, the first
              > book in the Circle of Magic series, by Tamora Pierce.
              > I've enjoyed all of the books I've completed and so far enjoying
              all
              > the ones I'm working on.
              >
              >
              > --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "Matt"
              <gauvaine@y...>
              > wrote:
              > > What is everyone reading since the last time i asked? I finished
              > > Jennifer Government by Max Berry. Very uneven but a fun read,
              with
              > > some very good anti-globalization, mass consumerism rants in it,
              > > mostly directed at the United States, of course. The plot was
              > > secondary to railing against corporate greed however. I'm
              surprised
              > > that Barry didn't attack Microsoft. He focused mainly on
              > McDonald's,
              > > Nike, ExxonMobil, and a few others.
              > >
              > > I picked up Santiago by Mike Resnick, which he wrote nearly 20
              > years
              > > ago and just is now back in print. Very interesting space opera.
              > Fun
              > > to read. Less filling, tastes great.
              > >
              > > Next will be the Dante Club and Talon of the Silver Hawk by Feist.
              > >
              > >
              > > Matt
            Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.