Re: Reading Update

  • trevinwolfe
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 29, 2004
      I have just finished "The Viscount of Adrilankha, Volume Two: The
      Lord of Castle Black" by Steven Brust. It's one of the "Khaavren
      Romances" set in his world of Drageara. It picks up about 250 years
      after the end of "Five hundred Years After," and lets you know what
      the the characters, first introduced in "The Phoenix Guards," have
      been doing in the meantime. It's written, as are all the Khaavren
      books, in a very effusive style, as if the author were being paid by
      the word, but doesn't bog down too often. I am eagerly awaiting the
      paperback of "Sethra Lavode," which is the last volume of "The
      Viscount of Adrilankha." This should take us nearly to the time of
      Bust's Vlad Taltos series.

      --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "Matt" <gauvaine@y...>
      wrote:
      > What is everyone reading since the last time i asked? I finished
      > Jennifer Government by Max Berry. Very uneven but a fun read, with
      > some very good anti-globalization, mass consumerism rants in it,
      > mostly directed at the United States, of course. The plot was
      > secondary to railing against corporate greed however. I'm
      surprised
      > that Barry didn't attack Microsoft. He focused mainly on
      McDonald's,
      > Nike, ExxonMobil, and a few others.
      >
      > I picked up Santiago by Mike Resnick, which he wrote nearly 20
      years
      > ago and just is now back in print. Very interesting space opera.
      Fun
      > to read. Less filling, tastes great.
      >
      > Next will be the Dante Club and Talon of the Silver Hawk by Feist.
      >

      > Matt
    • tlbs12b
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 29, 2004
        I've just recently finished Fast Food Nation, by Eric Schlosser. It
        attacks the fast food industry about many of its practices and how it
        does business. Lord Foul's Bane, by Stephen Donaldson. The first in
        the Thomas Covanent the Unbeliever series. Equal Rites, by Terry
        Pratchett. The third Discworld book, and the first witches book.
        Very funny. A World Out of Time, by Larry Niven.
        What I'm currently working on is Nine Horses, by Billy Collins. A
        collection of poets. Also reading Crimson Petal and the White, by
        Michael Faber. Kushiel's Dart, by Carey. Sandry's Book, the first
        book in the Circle of Magic series, by Tamora Pierce.
        I've enjoyed all of the books I've completed and so far enjoying all
        the ones I'm working on.

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 29, 2004
          I was aware of the distinction. I've got Deception Point and Gods and
          Demons, of Dan Brown's. Not as quick reads as Da Vinci Code was. He's
          definitely struck a chord with the public with all his religious
          symobology and historical whodunitness. Mixed with a bit of Clive
          Cussler.

          --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff C." <jpesk@y...>

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 29, 2004
            I have the Phoenix Guards, but haven't read it yet. The series looked
            intriguing.

            --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, trevinwolfe
            <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > I have just finished "The Viscount of Adrilankha, Volume Two: The
            > Lord of Castle Black" by Steven Brust. It's one of the "Khaavren
            > Romances" set in his world of Drageara. It picks up about 250
            years
            > after the end of "Five hundred Years After," and lets you know what
            > the the characters, first introduced in "The Phoenix Guards," have
            > been doing in the meantime. It's written, as are all the Khaavren
            > books, in a very effusive style, as if the author were being paid
            by
            > the word, but doesn't bog down too often. I am eagerly awaiting
            the
            > paperback of "Sethra Lavode," which is the last volume of "The
            > Viscount of Adrilankha." This should take us nearly to the time of
            > Bust's Vlad Taltos series.
            >
            > --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "Matt"
            <gauvaine@y...>
            > wrote:
            > > What is everyone reading since the last time i asked? I finished
            > > Jennifer Government by Max Berry. Very uneven but a fun read,
            with
            > > some very good anti-globalization, mass consumerism rants in it,
            > > mostly directed at the United States, of course. The plot was
            > > secondary to railing against corporate greed however. I'm
            > surprised
            > > that Barry didn't attack Microsoft. He focused mainly on
            > McDonald's,
            > > Nike, ExxonMobil, and a few others.
            > >
            > > I picked up Santiago by Mike Resnick, which he wrote nearly 20
            > years
            > > ago and just is now back in print. Very interesting space opera.
            > Fun
            > > to read. Less filling, tastes great.
            > >
            > > Next will be the Dante Club and Talon of the Silver Hawk by Feist.
            > >

            > > Matt
          • Jeff C.
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 29, 2004
              Have you checked out Dan Brown's website? It is
              pretty well done. You can find all kind of secret
              codes that are hidden in the books, and some
              interesting links. The Da Vinci Code challenge is
              pretty cool.

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 29, 2004
                I've seen Fast Food Nation, but haven't read it though i can just
                imagine the info contained therein. As a former fast food employee
                many yahrens ago, i can testify to the industries diabolical nature.

                I hope you enjoy Lord Foul's Bane, and then the Illearth War and the
                Power that Preserves, which comes after. The Thomas Covenant books
                were some of my favorites, especially the second series. The One Tree
                was on the NY Times bestseller list for ages back when it came out in
                the early 80's. Still one of my favorites.

                Matt

                --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "tlbs12b"