Looking for some help!!!

  • Ed Tietz
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 15, 2004
      I have been trying for years to find the title, author and
      maybe a copy of a story I read years ago. It goes
      something like this.

      A scientist is working on a matter transmitter machine
      (which does not seem to work) with his friend and partner.
      It turns out that his partner is having an affair with his
      wife. The scientist and the parther get into a fight, when
      the scientist finds out about the affair and that his wife
      is dumping him for the partner. The scientist gets pushed
      into the matter transmitter machine and it is activated, at
      which point he dies.

      Then he wakes up. He finds that he has moved into the
      future and taken over another body. That person soon gets
      killed and the same transition takes place again and again.
      I remember that one of the stops is in the body of someone
      on the Moon who is in the middle of a war.

      Along the way, in one of the stops, the scientist gets a
      chance to find out what happened to his original self. He
      goes to a newspaper and checks the archives. The report is
      that there is a tragic lab accident and he is killed.
      While scanning a few days past the report of his death, he
      finds another headline telling about how his wife found out
      that it was no accident and she shoots the partner.

      ===SPOILER===

      While moving further and further into the future, in bigger
      and bigger leaps, he ends up as part of a merged mind of
      all of the residents of Earth, who have kind of hollowed
      out the Earth and are just brains in cans. Of course he is
      about to die again as the Sun is going nova. Before he
      dies. again, he is imparted with significant wisdom, part
      of which is that time is kind of strange in that it is
      apparently circular.

      The Sun goes nova, he dies, he wakes up, gets out of bed,
      goes into the bathroom, looks into the mirror and...

      is staring at his wife's face.

      Hope you enjoyed the Reader's Digest version. Can anyone
      help me find the original??

      ET

      http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html