Newbie

  • Barbara Barge
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 23, 2004
      Hi everybody!

      I just joined the group, and I'd like to introduce myself.
      I'm Barbara, from Spain, and I've been an eager sci-fi and fantasy
      reader since the age of 8, when my dad gave me a copy of The Lord of
      the Rings. I read it once a year since then, which makes 22 (I know,
      I'm weird).
      My favorite sci-fi writers are Ray Bradbury, Larry Niven, Orson Scott
      Card and Lois McMaster Bujold. And I hate Heinlein, mainly
      his "Stranger in a Strange Land". I tried to read it 3 times but I
      never finished it. I think that when a book starts hitting the walls
      is time to move on to something different.
      And that's all for now. I'm looking forward to the discussion, and to
      hear about new (or old) authors from you.

      Barbara
    • notallwhowander
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 24, 2004
        Hey, welcome to the group!

        Funny, "Stranger in a Strange Land" is the only Heinlein novel I
        ever finished. (Primarily becuase my older brother used to tell me
        all the plots.) However, I'm not a big Heinlein fan myself anyway. I
        like the novella, "The Unpleasant Profession of Jonathan Hoag"
        though.

        I love Bradbury (as much as I've read anyway).

        I haven't been too big on science fiction, really, more a fantasy
        head. Aside from Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett, and James P.
        Blaylock, I've been ignoring living authors and instead have been
        reading a lot of dead guys.

        A mix of interests always provides for a good discussion. :^)

        -notall'
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 26, 2004
          Barbara,
          Heinlein is one author i haven't had too much experience with. I
          read Starship Troopers about the time the movie came out, but that
          has been it. (THere's a book along the same lines called ARMOR that
          was alot better, IMHO). Back in 7th and 8th great, Heinlein seemed
          to be the flavor of the month (though he had beena around for 30
          years). Everyone i knew was reading Stranger in a Strange Land, the
          Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Friday, and several others. I never did. I
          was reading Stephen Donaldson, Thieve's World, REH's Conan books,
          and Michael Moorcock's Elric books, which were another cult hit when
          i was in junior high.

          I also read Dune, as i mentioned, Riverworld, some of Jack Vance's
          stuff, A.E. van Vogt, Clifford Simak, Asimov, Clarke; There was one
          fantasy novel i read, that i checked out from the Library, called
          Godstalk, by P.C. Hodgell. Great writer, great fantasy, especially
          if you're looking for something with a female protagonist.
          Unfortunately, Ms. Hodgell is more interested in teaching at the
          University of Wisconsin, i believe, than writing; her books have
          been non-existent in the last 20 years. She also wrote Dark of the
          Moon and Seeker's Mask and i think that's about it. Great epic
          fantasy. It was a blending of Theieve's World and Fahrd and Grey
          Mouser.

          Matt

          --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Barge"

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 26, 2004
            Dead guys, huh? Is is true that Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett
            are/were the same person?

            --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, notallwhowander
            <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > Hey, welcome to the group!
            >
            > Funny, "Stranger in a Strange Land" is the only Heinlein novel I
            > ever finished. (Primarily becuase my older brother used to tell me
            > all the plots.) However, I'm not a big Heinlein fan myself anyway.
            > like the novella, "The Unpleasant Profession of Jonathan Hoag"
            > though.
            >
            > I love Bradbury (as much as I've read anyway).
            >
            > I haven't been too big on science fiction, really, more a fantasy
            > head. Aside from Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett, and James P.
            > Blaylock, I've been ignoring living authors and instead have been
            > reading a lot of dead guys.
            >
            > A mix of interests always provides for a good discussion. :^)
            >
            > -notall'
          • notallwhowander
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 26, 2004
              --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "Matt" <gauvaine@y...>
              wrote:
              > Dead guys, huh? Is is true that Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett
              > are/were the same person?

              Well, one's sucking air and the other isn't. Also, one is prolific
              and the other wasn't. But they both demonstrate a Pythonesque sense
              of irony and humor and are not above blatant satire. Also, Pratchett
              wrote a book with Neil Gaiman, and Neil Gaiman wrote a book about
              Douglas Adams. So close, but not quite. ;^)

              -notall'
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 28, 2004
                Oh well. Thought there might be some good conspiracy theory there.

                Matt