Re: [Fantasy Fiction Dungeon] Stellar Graffiti

    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 16, 2004
      Well, if the bad writing and grammar can attest to that . . . Chapter
      11 reads like some out of Hegel.

      --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "Vaidah Katz"
      <mekre_keshet@h...> wrote:
      > a legitimate post by the infinitely stupid.
      >

      > >From: Matt Baker <gauvaine@y...>
      > >To: fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com
      > >Subject: Re: [Fantasy Fiction Dungeon] Stellar Graffiti
      > >Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 15:09:58 -0800 (PST)
      > >
      > >Should i get consider this spam or a legitimate post?
      > >
      > >Richard Allan Olson <manback29@y...> wrote:Dear Sir or Madam, will
      you
      > >read my book?
      > >
      > >It took me years to write,
      > >
      > >Will you take a look?
      > >

      > >It's based on ideas by a man named Leary
      > >
      > >And I need a break,
      > >
      > >And I want to be a science fiction writer.
      > >

      > >----------------------------
      > >
      > >"Stellar Graffiti"
      > >
      > >by Richard A. Olson
      > >
      > >----------------------------
      > >
      > >Here are the first six chapters, roughly the first half
      > >
      > >of the tale, and chapter 11, if you wish to read ahead.
      > >
      > >(If you do, I recommend reading ch. 11 first, because
      > >
      > >it's written like a prologue, even though that tale takes
      > >
      > >place in chronological order. It only gives away
      > >
      > >one small element of the overall plotÂ…I'll let you
      > >
      > >read.)
      > >

      > >Chapter 1. Entropy
      > >
      > >http://stellargraffiti.com/1Entropy.html
      > >

      > >Chapter 2. Two Cities
      > >
      > >http://stellargraffiti.com/2TwoCities.html
      > >

      > >Chapter 3. The Diplomats
      > >
      > >http://stellargraffiti.com/3TheDiplomats.html
      > >

      > >Chapter 4. The Picnic
      > >
      > >http://stellargraffiti.com/4ThePicnic.html
      > >

      > >Chapter 5. Aquatoo
      > >
      > >http://stellargraffiti.com/5Aquatoo.html
      > >

      > >Chapter 6. Bugs
      > >
      > >http://stellargraffiti.com/6Bugs.html
      > >

      > >Chapter 11. The Evolutionist
      > >
      > >http://stellargraffiti.com/TheEvolutionist.html
      > >

      > >I'll have the book finished soon, it's just a matter of
      > >
      > >polishing off rough drafts. I'm hoping to publish by
      > >
      > >any means possible- e-book, self publishing, while
      > >
      > >fishing for a real, paper gig. Anyone interested in
      > >
      > >reading more can watch the main site, or contact
      > >
      > >me at: rickolson@v...
      > >
      > >http://www.stellargraffiti.com

      Service.

      > >"For better or worse, you have been marked."
      > >Do you Yahoo!?
      > >Yahoo! Mail - More reliable, more storage, less spam

      > >Yahoo! Groups Links

      > Frustrated with dial-up? Lightning-fast Internet access for as low
      as
      > $29.95/month.
    • notallwhowander
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 18, 2004
        --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "Matt" <gauvaine@y...>
        wrote:
        > Well, if the bad writing and grammar can attest to that . . .
        Chapter
        > 11 reads like some out of Hegel.

        Ouch!!

        ;^)

        Hi folks, for a while Yahoo was randomly shutting down my browser
        but it looks as though whater fabulous and sinister machinery that
        keeps this place running is is allowing me back.

        Recent reads: back on the Lovecraft - finished with "The Dreamquest
        of Unknown Kadath" went on to "At the Mountains of Madness", "The
        Shunned House", "Dreams in the Witch House", and "The Statement of
        Randolf Carter". The last three are pretty scary stuff!

        I'm turning back to the "Takes Before Tolkein" collection, having
        taken a break roughly half-way through. There are some great stories
        in it. "The Griffin and the Minor Cannon" by Frank R. Stockton, "The
        Demon Pope" by Richard Garret, and "Black Heart and White Heart: A
        Zulu Idyll" by H. Rider Haggard are the real stand-outs of what I've
        read so far. Some of the other stories are just okay. "The Dragon
        Tamers" by E. Nesbit and "The Elves" by Ludwig Tieck were just a bit
        too prescious for my tastes. They are interesting as far as a survey
        of early modern fantasy goes, however. So far this collection goes
        into the "worthy" category, and is of definite interest if you like
        fairy stories.

        -notall'
      • Matt Baker
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 19, 2004
          Is it true that the more Lovecraft you read, the thinner the barrier between where the Old One's live and the real world gets? You could be personally responsible for the Apocalypse notall.

          Matt

          wrote:
          > Well, if the bad writing and grammar can attest to that . . .
          Chapter
          > 11 reads like some out of Hegel.

          Ouch!!

          ;^)

          Hi folks, for a while Yahoo was randomly shutting down my browser
          but it looks as though whater fabulous and sinister machinery that
          keeps this place running is is allowing me back.

          Recent reads: back on the Lovecraft - finished with "The Dreamquest
          of Unknown Kadath" went on to "At the Mountains of Madness", "The
          Shunned House", "Dreams in the Witch House", and "The Statement of
          Randolf Carter". The last three are pretty scary stuff!

          I'm turning back to the "Takes Before Tolkein" collection, having
          taken a break roughly half-way through. There are some great stories
          in it. "The Griffin and the Minor Cannon" by Frank R. Stockton, "The
          Demon Pope" by Richard Garret, and "Black Heart and White Heart: A
          Zulu Idyll" by H. Rider Haggard are the real stand-outs of what I've
          read so far. Some of the other stories are just okay. "The Dragon
          Tamers" by E. Nesbit and "The Elves" by Ludwig Tieck were just a bit
          too prescious for my tastes. They are interesting as far as a survey
          of early modern fantasy goes, however. So far this collection goes
          into the "worthy" category, and is of definite interest if you like
          fairy stories.

          -notall'

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          "For better or worse, you have been marked."

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 19, 2004
            Notall,
            Do you ever read anything remotely unredeeming and decadent, say
            something like a pulpy David Gemmell Drenai book or one of Simon
            Green's Deathstalker novels?

            I did run across a book you might like called Parasites Like Us. I
            haven't read it, but i read the review in F&SF and it sounds like
            it's right up your alley. Part satire, part Apocalyptic scifi, part
            literary glimpse into academia and anthropology.

            Matt

            --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, notallwhowander
            <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "Matt"
            <gauvaine@y...>
            > wrote:
            > > Well, if the bad writing and grammar can attest to that . . .
            > Chapter
            > > 11 reads like some out of Hegel.
            >
            > Ouch!!
            >
            > ;^)
            >
            > Hi folks, for a while Yahoo was randomly shutting down my browser
            > but it looks as though whater fabulous and sinister machinery that
            > keeps this place running is is allowing me back.
            >
            > Recent reads: back on the Lovecraft - finished with "The Dreamquest
            > of Unknown Kadath" went on to "At the Mountains of Madness", "The
            > Shunned House", "Dreams in the Witch House", and "The Statement of
            > Randolf Carter". The last three are pretty scary stuff!
            >
            > I'm turning back to the "Takes Before Tolkein" collection, having
            > taken a break roughly half-way through. There are some great
            stories
            > in it. "The Griffin and the Minor Cannon" by Frank R.
            Stockton, "The
            > Demon Pope" by Richard Garret, and "Black Heart and White Heart: A
            > Zulu Idyll" by H. Rider Haggard are the real stand-outs of what
            I've
            > read so far. Some of the other stories are just okay. "The Dragon
            > Tamers" by E. Nesbit and "The Elves" by Ludwig Tieck were just a
            bit
            > too prescious for my tastes. They are interesting as far as a
            survey
            > of early modern fantasy goes, however. So far this collection goes
            > into the "worthy" category, and is of definite interest if you like
            > fairy stories.
            >
            > -notall'
          • notallwhowander
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 19, 2004
              wrote:
              > Notall,
              > Do you ever read anything remotely unredeeming and decadent,
              say
              > something like a pulpy David Gemmell Drenai book or one of Simon
              > Green's Deathstalker novels?

              Read? No, that's why I watch TV and listen to Art Bell. ;^)

              > I did run across a book you might like called Parasites Like Us. I
              > haven't read it, but i read the review in F&SF and it sounds like
              > it's right up your alley. Part satire, part Apocalyptic scifi,
              part
              > literary glimpse into academia and anthropology.
              >
              > Matt

              Wow! That does sound like it's right up my alley. (How long have I
              been posting here?) Thanks for the tip.

              -notall'
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 22, 2004
                I hope you can find it. The Border's in Reno has it, but not the one
                here. If you read it before i do, let me know if it's any good. Maybe
                the library has it, but i doubt it.