RE: [Fantasy Fiction Dungeon] Re: newbie..again..i guess

  • Matt Baker
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2004
      Insightful as Always, D. I fully agree, except for the 6 hours long part. I don't think i could sit that long. When you're old like me, you have to move around.

      Vaidah Katz <mekre_keshet@...> wrote:Heya Matt,

      >V,
      > So, are you graduated from school yet? Last time i heard, you were
      >harassing people on Long Island, complaining about Calculus. Good to
      >hear from you again.

      heh, still on the school thing. Almost done though, and hopefully I'll be
      doing grad school in Australia, which should be amazing.

      >With all the LOTR movies out, there should be grist for the mill if
      >anyone wants to discuss why Peter Jackson is a genius or a total
      >butcher, depending on how you prefer.

      I saw rotk twice. The first time I was staring at Viggo the entire time.
      That man is gorgeous.
      The CGI and cinematography were amazing! I was watching the documentaris on
      the making of gollum on the two towers extended dvds and woah. Andy is
      amazing. he has such awesome facial expressions. Just like Ian Mckellen,
      whom I adore. He gets this look in his eyes when he smiles. It's the most
      amazing thing. I was very pleased that they ended rotk with sam getting
      married and everything in those scenes. Even though it seemed out of place
      in the way they filmed it. Very broken...seemed like they were rushing when
      they had what? three years?

      I am in awe with cgi. It's so cool how they integrate the computer
      generated stuff with the live action and make it work. That's really
      difficult for the actors to do as well. Having to know where to look and
      where to move. oo, look. rambling.

      >Personally, i think he did a great job trying to capture the spirit
      >of something that every person was going to see and interpret
      >differently. Tolkienites, non-Tolkienites and movie buffs and all
      >those in between. Sure, he changed that. Sure, they left this and
      >that out. But that's true with any book to movie, ie, Harry Potter,
      >etc.

      You can tell a lot more information in a book. you have more time in a
      book. A movie has to hold the attention of the people watching it. They
      can't put it down and watch another chapter whenever they have a chance. So
      you need to choose what gets cut out and what gets put in and you need to
      make it work. I think it worked. For me, the time went very quickly. They
      blended the calmer scenes in with the battle scenes and it seemed as though
      there was never a dull moment. I fully approve of their casting. I think
      each and every one of those actors were amazing for their own part. That's
      also important to keep the attention of the people watching. If you cast
      poorly, people are gonna get frustrated.

      >The movie would have been 6 hours long if they had included
      >everything of import or note, like the Scouring of the Shire, as some
      >people harp and cry about. You have to do what is manageable and
      >allowable. Sacrifice. I've seen ROTK twice and probably will again
      >before it's gone. No since in passing up history when you have a
      >chance to glance at it up close.

      I so wish the movie was six hours long. but then again, I am in love with
      mini-series. I heard that the ee of rotk was going to be about 6 hours.
      God I hope so!!!

      >Beyond, LOTR, what are you reading now, D?

      mm, this book my mom just finished. It's a murder novel based on a true
      story. She said it was amazing so I'm giving it a shot. it was either that
      or reread another anita blake book. You'd think with all the books I have
      on my to be read pile, I wouldn't reread ones four times over. ::shrugs::
      I started rereading Taliesin...but then my mom cleaned the living room and I
      can't find my book. >_< that's my favorite book, dammit. Needed a
      replacement copy anyway. Bookstores will be the death of me.

      anyhow. Happy New Year all!!!

      ::hughug::
      Vaidah

      To visit your group on the web, go to:

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      "For better or worse, you have been marked."

    • Vaidah Katz
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2004
        Green,

        >Did anyone else notice that Frodo magically had his hobbit clothes on
        >during the scene where Sam carries him up Mt. Doom? Wasn't he just a
        >hobbit in his skivvies a few minutes ago? Then a mini orc? Just
        >another filming glich, I suppose.

        mmm, i thought they had their hobbit clothing on under the orc gear.

        Worried about inbox overload? Get MSN Extra Storage now!
        http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es
      • greenleafs_maiden
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 3, 2004
          I could be wrong. I thought that the orcs took all of Frodo's
          clothes when he was captured. I thought that was why they had to put
          on the orc armor. Then again, that's at the end of the movie and my
          legs were beginning to cramp and all I could think about was the soda
          I drank at the beginning of the movie.