Re: [Fantasy Fiction Dungeon] Re: Feedback

  • Marc Vun Kannon
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 10, 2003
      >I just picked up the latest Honor Harrington novel, "War of Honor,"
      >by David Weber. Right now i'm on page 77, and he's still setting up
      >the political background to the story. I hope it picks up soon, but
      >there are 852 more pages.

      Don't expect too much. The last 3 books have been topheavy with exposition. Weber really has trouble with plausible dialog anyway, and using it to explain everything is just a nightmare. I may read this book just to see how the story ends but I don't expect to enjoy it. The first part, with her as a captain interacting with crew and others was much better.

      --
      Marc Vun Kannon
      http://www.marcvunkannon.com

      And for those of you who prefer yours in a kilt:
      Wise, witty, and wonderful stories live and breathe (heavily) at
      http://www.pamelajohnson.net

      --
    • Marc Vun Kannon
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 14, 2003
        >> --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "Matt" <gauvaine@y...>
        >> wrote:
        >> > My daughter has the first Lemony Snicket book, but hasn't read it
        >as
        >> > of yet. I'm afraid she is like her father in her preponderance of
        >> > books she gets. I'll try to get her into gear and read it, along
        >with
        >> > some others i've bought her that have nothing to do with magic
        >> > treehouses or Junie B. Jones. Her teacher said she was beyond
        >such
        >> > maudlin mediocrity and was reading at 1 grade higher. I've
        >thought of
        >> > getting her a Wrinkle in Time, A Wind in the Door and A Swiftly
        >> > Tilting Planet. They might be too advanced for a 4th grader,
        >though.
        >> > I don't know.

        May I also suggest ANNA CHASE AND THE BUTTERFLY GIRLS, available from Echelon Press? I bought it for my daughter, herself 8 years old.