Re: [Fantasy Fiction Dungeon] tanya huff

  • kaeolin
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 13, 2003
      Wow, thanks. I didn't realize she wrote in so many different styles.
      Would you recommend her comic fantasies (are they humorous like
      Pratchett, D. Adams, or maybe like Connie Willis)?

      Thanks for the recs.

      --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "Marc Vun Kannon"
      <marcvunkannon@e...> wrote:
      > >Anyone read anything by Huff that they might recommend? I've heard
      > some interesting things about her books (especially the vampire ones)
      > >but don't really know where to start.
      >
      > I've read nearly everything she's written. She writes in a number
      of different styles:

      > Comic fantasy--Summon the Keeper, The Second Summoning, The LOng Hot
      Summoning. Paid retail for these.
      > Epic fantasy--Sing the Four Quarters (haven't read the rest, but
      this one's good.)
      > Paranormal--the Blood series of vampire/detective novels. Good but
      not extraordinary.
      > SF--The Confederacy series, military SF from the grunt's
      perspective, very well done.

      > I first discovered her work at a library book sale, corresponded
      with her a bit, she even blurbed my book. BTW, Wyrd Wravings is now
      out, with my own short story in it. I hope some of you will check it out.

      > --
      > Marc Vun Kannon
      > http://www.marcvunkannon.com
      > http://www.echelonpress.com
      > The Flame in the Bowl 1: Unbinding the Stone, released August 2002
      by Echelon Press, now available in trade paperback!
      > 'Chasing His Own Tale', in Wyrd Wravings, forthcoming from Echelon
      Press.

      > And for those of you who prefer yours in a kilt:
      > Wise, witty, and wonderful stories live and breathe (heavily) at
      > http://www.pamelajohnson.net
      >

      > --
    • Marc Vun Kannon
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 14, 2003
        >Wow, thanks. I didn't realize she wrote in so many different styles. Would you recommend her comic fantasies (are they humorous like >Pratchett, D. Adams, or maybe like Connie Willis

        No, those guys are pretty strange. Her comic stuff is more camp. The first and third are much more serious, with a stronger story. The second is much sillier.