Re: [Fantasy Fiction Dungeon] Re: Harry Potter

  • Laura Wilson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2, 2003
      Yeah, I had some issues about Harry's temper also. Do you think it had to
      do with the Dark Lord? Like he was still channeling some of his emotions,
      not just the strong ones? Maybe the tantrums were Harry's innocent way to
      deal with the evil-ness. Just a thought, it was on my mind too. I liked
      the book alright. I thought 4 was better, though.

      Laura Wilson

    • Matt Baker
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 2, 2003
        Laura, that could be an explanation, but he was acting selfish and temper tanrumy without nary a prickle from You Know Who. He wasn't aware of Harry's ability at empathy and astral whatsit until halfway through the book. So i don't think that was it. Having read interviews and knowing she was going to make Harry more conflicted because he was "growing up", i think she just had a hard time writing it.

        Laura Wilson <laurawilson25@...> wrote:
> [...]

        > > Coral finale. And Hagrid was a non-entity except to fill a plot
        >hole
        > > that Rowling had backed herself into and couldn't seem to get out
        >of
        > > very adroitly.
        > >
        > > There was alot to this book. Alot happening. And nothing
        >happening.
        > > That's the only way to explain it. Much Ado About Nothing. It was
        > > like watching the Matrix Reloaded. It was okay, but you knew that
        > > there was another movie coming that was going to be alot more
        >clearer
        > > and exciting. Treading water. The rumors of writer's block were
        >true,
        > > i'm afraid. A post-adolescent diatribe about the merits of fame,
        > > fortune and destiny only can go so far. Dialogue, characters, and
        > > theme . . . they all matter. You can't coast on expectation and

        "For better or worse, you have been marked."