Re: [Fantasy Fiction Dungeon] New Member

  • Marc Vun Kannon
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 5, 2003
      Cool, welcome aboard.

      I'm a fantasy novelist now, but I got my start reading fantasy books for most of my life. I tend to go for the more thoughtful books, especially if they've got action. My own favorites include:

      Dave Duncan--The Seventh Sword trilogy.
      Patricia McKillip--The RiddleMaster of Hed trilogy.
      Lawrence Watt-Evans--The Misenchanted Sword, The Unwilling Warlord, Spell of the Black Dagger,etc.
      Steven Brust--Agyar.
      Nina Kiriki Hoffman--Thread that Binds the Bones.
      David Weber--the Honor Harrington series, esp. Honor Among Enemies.
      Lois McMaster Bujold--Cordelia's Honor, A Civil Campaign.
      Elizabeth Moon's Familias Regnant books.

      There are many more, of course. I personally enjoy the LOtR books, although a lot of people I've spoken to about my own book have trouble with the rather old-fashioned language. I usually tell them that my book is like LOTR in substance, but the language is much more modern English, like the Potter books.

      Talk to you later.

      --
      Marc Vun Kannon
      http://www.marcvunkannon.com

      And for those of you who prefer yours in a kilt:
      Wise, witty, and wonderful stories live and breathe (heavily) at
      http://www.pamelajohnson.net