My first refusal

  • shipwreckmazuma
    Message 1 of 4 , May 7, 2002
      Thomas,

      I read the story this week, and was very impressed with "A
      Tale of the People of Snae-Fell." It's a fascinating tale, well
      told, and I think you did a fine job of the very difficult task of
      capturing the style of the original Nordic saga.

      However, it's not right for Black Gate. While the story is
      solid, the rather formal prose is something many of our readers will
      have trouble with, especially in the opening pages. It's also only
      marginally fantasy. I'm afraid I'll have to return it.

      You have an obvious gift for plot and a flexible prose
      style, and I hope you'll consider us again soon.

      Warm regards,

      John O'Neill
      Editor
      Black Gate
      www.blackgate.com

      I was a fool to think that it wouldn't hurt a bit at being denied,
      even though I was expecting it. It was my first submission after all.

      Nothing for it but to keep trying.
    • notallwhowander
      Message 2 of 4 , May 8, 2002
        Been there. It does sting, doesn't it? Keep at it comrade!

        -notall'

        --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@y..., "shipwreckmazuma"
        <shipwreckmazuma@y...> wrote:
        > Thomas,
        >
        > I read the story this week, and was very impressed
        with "A
        > Tale of the People of Snae-Fell." It's a fascinating tale, well
        > told, and I think you did a fine job of the very difficult task of
        > capturing the style of the original Nordic saga.
        >
        > However, it's not right for Black Gate. While the story
        is
        > solid, the rather formal prose is something many of our readers
        will
        > have trouble with, especially in the opening pages. It's also
        only
        > marginally fantasy. I'm afraid I'll have to return it.
        >
        > You have an obvious gift for plot and a flexible prose
        > style, and I hope you'll consider us again soon.
        >
        > Warm regards,
        >
        > John O'Neill
        > Editor
        > Black Gate
        > www.blackgate.com
        >
        > I was a fool to think that it wouldn't hurt a bit at being denied,
        > even though I was expecting it. It was my first submission after
        all.

        > Nothing for it but to keep trying.
      • gauvaine
        Message 3 of 4 , May 8, 2002
          Thomas,
          At least you are on your way. You submitted something and got a
          markedly insightful response. The editor actually read your story;
          you can tell by his comments. And now you have an "in" if you decide
          to submit something else more along their wants. It's when you get a
          form response on a little slip of paper that screams out "YOU SUCK.
          DIDN'T EVEN READ THIS," that you should feel bad.

          I'm proud of you for trying and delighted that you got positive
          feedback; though it was a rejection it was a good rejection, if there
          is any such thing.

          So, keep trying. Who knows, I might be joining you in submitting
          things once school is out and i have some free time to finish some
          things up. I've got about 10 stories half-written right now and a few
          others i want to tinker with. Plus i'm revising my novel and working
          on another one that is in a different genre. Too many irons in the
          fire, in other words.

          But, if writing were easy, everyone would do it or would think they
          could do it. So, keep up the good work.

          If you are interested, go to Specifime and check out their markets
          and contests.

          http://www.specficworld.com/

          Matt
        • shipwreckmazuma
          Message 4 of 4 , May 8, 2002
            I'll check it out. thanks Matt! Notall! I look at it in a good light
            too. In fact...I was thinking today at work about something. I may
            have an idea. partially thanks to notall's listing a Thieves World in
            character in with his top 20. Got me thinking about the idea of
            a 'shared universe' anthology. Still percolatin'...