Re: [Fantasy Fiction Dungeon] My new favorite author

  • Diamond Lightfoot
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 10, 2002
      --- semperjase <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      > Now I have a new one, David Gemmell. His Waylander
      > novels are
      > incredible.
      > Anyone else read these books?

      I've got that series here but haven't had a chance to
      read them yet.....didn't a new one just come out?

      =0)
      Diamond

      =====
      Visit Douglas Clegg Online: http://www.douglasclegg.com
      Diamond Lightfoot ICQ# 10962503
      http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dreamworld/4494
      http://www.angelfire.com/tx/DiamondLightfoot

      http://taxes.yahoo.com/
    • trevinwolfe
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 11, 2002
        The whole Waylander series is awsome. The most recent was a little
        over a year ago. I have almost all the books that have been released
        in the US, I think I'm missing one. His writing just gets better
        with every book. My favorites were the Sipstrassi books that took
        place as part of Arthurian legends. So cool!

        --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@y..., Diamond Lightfoot
        <diamondlightfoot@y...> wrote:

        > --- semperjase <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        >
        > > Now I have a new one, David Gemmell. His Waylander
        > > novels are
        > > incredible.
        > > Anyone else read these books?
        > >

        > I've got that series here but haven't had a chance to
        > read them yet.....didn't a new one just come out?
        >
        > =0)
        > Diamond
      • wildfire50uk
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 11, 2002
          which one are you missing!! ive read all his books except for the
          third Waylander book and Stormrider(out april).
          my personnal favourite is Legend..Druss is awesome and the Jon
          Shannow charactor from The Wolf In Shadow(also part of the Sipstrassi
          series)if your interested in Gemmell there are some great fan sites
          out there
          http://www.gemmell-mania.org.uk/
          the people who run them are huge fans and know everything there is to
          know about David
          Wildfire(malcolm)
          -

          --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@y..., trevinwolfe <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > The whole Waylander series is awsome. The most recent was a little
          > over a year ago. I have almost all the books that have been
          released
          > in the US, I think I'm missing one. His writing just gets better
          > with every book. My favorites were the Sipstrassi books that took
          > place as part of Arthurian legends. So cool!
          >
          > --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@y..., Diamond Lightfoot
          > <diamondlightfoot@y...> wrote:
          > >
          > > --- semperjase <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > >
          > > > Now I have a new one, David Gemmell. His Waylander
          > > > novels are
          > > > incredible.
          > > > Anyone else read these books?
          > > >

          > > I've got that series here but haven't had a chance to
          > > read them yet.....didn't a new one just come out?
          > >
          > > =0)
          > > Diamond
        • Matt Baker
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 11, 2002
            I loved Hero in the Shadows. Classic anti-hero, redemption at the end type stuff. Never stopped, from page one to the end, though the ending was sad, but appropriate. All his books are fast, quick reads, and aren't 900 pages long, either.

            Matt

            "For better or worse, you have been marked."

          • Jeff Cherpeski
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 11, 2002
              The part I like about his books are that they are all stand alone stories. The same characters, history, and legends are weaved together in the books, yet if you don't read Legend, you aren't lost. The history is alluded to, and the effects of one book ripple throughout the others.

              As Matt said they are fast reads and they tell great stories.

              Jeff

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 11, 2002
                Yeah, I didn't read any of the other Waylander books before i read Hero in the Shadows. So, had no experience with the character, but ending up liking him anyway. He was like Max from the Road Warrior, with a little bit Connor McCloud from Highlander thrown in for good measure, maybe a little bit of Bruce Wayne/Batman thrown in, too. A very complex, deep character, done in a very limited amount of pages. And there was lots of action and plotting, too. Simplistic and easily resolved, of course, but still engaging. There's no romance and no mushy stuff in these books, though, or not alot, so that might turn off some people. They're like Mack Bolan fantasy books.