My new favorite author

  • semperjase
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 10, 2002
      OK, through my reading life I have gone through many favorite authors.
      They include C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien (of course), Agatha Christie,
      and Steven Brust.

      Now I have a new one, David Gemmell. His Waylander novels are
      incredible. It a series that when I pick up a book, I end up going to
      bed late because it just keeps my attention. I can't wait for the next
      change.

      Anyone else read these books?
    • Diamond Lightfoot
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 10, 2002
        --- semperjase <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        > Now I have a new one, David Gemmell. His Waylander
        > novels are
        > incredible.
        > Anyone else read these books?

        I've got that series here but haven't had a chance to
        read them yet.....didn't a new one just come out?

        =0)
        Diamond

        =====
        Visit Douglas Clegg Online: http://www.douglasclegg.com
        Diamond Lightfoot ICQ# 10962503
        http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dreamworld/4494
        http://www.angelfire.com/tx/DiamondLightfoot

        http://taxes.yahoo.com/
      • trevinwolfe
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 11, 2002
          The whole Waylander series is awsome. The most recent was a little
          over a year ago. I have almost all the books that have been released
          in the US, I think I'm missing one. His writing just gets better
          with every book. My favorites were the Sipstrassi books that took
          place as part of Arthurian legends. So cool!

          --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@y..., Diamond Lightfoot
          <diamondlightfoot@y...> wrote:

          > --- semperjase <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          >
          > > Now I have a new one, David Gemmell. His Waylander
          > > novels are
          > > incredible.
          > > Anyone else read these books?
          > >

          > I've got that series here but haven't had a chance to
          > read them yet.....didn't a new one just come out?
          >
          > =0)
          > Diamond
        • wildfire50uk
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 11, 2002
            which one are you missing!! ive read all his books except for the
            third Waylander book and Stormrider(out april).
            my personnal favourite is Legend..Druss is awesome and the Jon
            Shannow charactor from The Wolf In Shadow(also part of the Sipstrassi
            series)if your interested in Gemmell there are some great fan sites
            out there
            http://www.gemmell-mania.org.uk/
            the people who run them are huge fans and know everything there is to
            know about David
            Wildfire(malcolm)
            -

            --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@y..., trevinwolfe <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > The whole Waylander series is awsome. The most recent was a little
            > over a year ago. I have almost all the books that have been
            released
            > in the US, I think I'm missing one. His writing just gets better
            > with every book. My favorites were the Sipstrassi books that took
            > place as part of Arthurian legends. So cool!
            >
            > --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@y..., Diamond Lightfoot
            > <diamondlightfoot@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > --- semperjase <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > > Now I have a new one, David Gemmell. His Waylander
            > > > novels are
            > > > incredible.
            > > > Anyone else read these books?
            > > >

            > > I've got that series here but haven't had a chance to
            > > read them yet.....didn't a new one just come out?
            > >
            > > =0)
            > > Diamond
          • Matt Baker
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 11, 2002
              I loved Hero in the Shadows. Classic anti-hero, redemption at the end type stuff. Never stopped, from page one to the end, though the ending was sad, but appropriate. All his books are fast, quick reads, and aren't 900 pages long, either.

              Matt

              "For better or worse, you have been marked."

            • Jeff Cherpeski
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 11, 2002
                The part I like about his books are that they are all stand alone stories. The same characters, history, and legends are weaved together in the books, yet if you don't read Legend, you aren't lost. The history is alluded to, and the effects of one book ripple throughout the others.

                As Matt said they are fast reads and they tell great stories.

                Jeff

                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 11, 2002
                  Yeah, I didn't read any of the other Waylander books before i read Hero in the Shadows. So, had no experience with the character, but ending up liking him anyway. He was like Max from the Road Warrior, with a little bit Connor McCloud from Highlander thrown in for good measure, maybe a little bit of Bruce Wayne/Batman thrown in, too. A very complex, deep character, done in a very limited amount of pages. And there was lots of action and plotting, too. Simplistic and easily resolved, of course, but still engaging. There's no romance and no mushy stuff in these books, though, or not alot, so that might turn off some people. They're like Mack Bolan fantasy books.