Re: Lord of the Rings - little people

  • notallwhowander
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 31, 2002
      >> I think the reason we call Tolkien the father of fantasy is that
      he brought fantasy literature out of "childrens" section... not that
      he actually re-invented it, just bumped it up a notch.<<

      Well, he certainly opened up the market in adult fantasy books.
      However, Lord Dunsany, and a few other were writing such things
      before J.R.R..

      The "little people" be they Hobbits, elves, pixies, munchkins,
      gnomes, menehune, drwaves, etc. Are very popular tropes. The Hobbits
      are just a particular version of it, kind of a cross between a
      brownie and an English cottager.

      -notall'
    • oracle623
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 1, 2002
        Interesting discussions here. I especially like the views on
        narcissicsm as they are related to fantasy villians.

        Diamond, I am unsure if you determined the exact political
        connotations of the Wizard of Oz (I've read and heard the same
        although I can not recall just who and what was compared to what and
        who!). Interestingly enough, there are a great deal of books out
        there that can be construed as having a political spin to them or as
        depicting something politically-related. I would just like to think
        of the Wizard of Oz as L. Frank Baum's nice little fairytale that was
        years ahead of it's time!

        Oracle

        --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@y..., "shipwreckmazuma"