Music in fantasy and sci-fi

  • mjbphotos
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 22, 2002
      As a musician, it came to my attention that there are not a lot of
      sf/f books out there that deal specifically with music/musicians.
      The 3 Harper Hall books of the Pern series come to mind at first, and
      I can think of many books about dance, but not music. Is it becaue
      music is more easily heard than described in word?
      What other stories and books are there?

      Mike B
    • gauvaine
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 22, 2002
        Mike, the Spellsinger books come to mind, as someone mentioned
        previously and maybe Modesitt's Soprano Sorceress books. The
        Riddlemaster books by McKillip were based on music somewhat, too.

        From a writing standpoint, it might be hard to actually capture the
        visceral power that is inherent in music, putting it into a 1
        dimensional medium, though many try with varying degrees of success.

        Matt

        --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@y..., "mjbphotos" <mjbphotos@y...> wrote:
        > As a musician, it came to my attention that there are not a lot of
        > sf/f books out there that deal specifically with music/musicians.
        > The 3 Harper Hall books of the Pern series come to mind at first,
        and
        > I can think of many books about dance, but not music. Is it becaue
        > music is more easily heard than described in word?
        > What other stories and books are there?
        >
        > Mike B
      • mjbphotos
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 22, 2002
          I haven't read any of those, but their titles would seem to indicate
          that music is an outlet for spell-making or sorcery, as opposed to
          music as music itself. Even McCaffery's Harper Hall series had a
          tough time with music as it was really just the foil for education
          and messages.
          Oh well! Doesn't mean I'm not going to try a story anyway!!

          Mike B
        • trevinwolfe
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 22, 2002
            Check out some of Spider Robinson's stuff. He often uses some
            musically inspired bits and pieces in his stuff. Most notable is his
            Callahan stuff, since the main character is a musician.

            Also try "Phoenix" by Steven Brust. It has a character who is a
            drummer, and it has some good stuff about that as well.

            --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@y..., "mjbphotos" <mjbphotos@y...> wrote:
            > As a musician, it came to my attention that there are not a lot of
            > sf/f books out there that deal specifically with music/musicians.
            > The 3 Harper Hall books of the Pern series come to mind at first,
            and
            > I can think of many books about dance, but not music. Is it becaue
            > music is more easily heard than described in word?
            > What other stories and books are there?
            >
            > Mike B
          • dragonkatprincess
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 6, 2002
              --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@y..., "mjbphotos" <mjbphotos@y...> wrote:
              > As a musician, it came to my attention that there are not a lot of
              > sf/f books out there that deal specifically with music/musicians.
              > The 3 Harper Hall books of the Pern series come to mind at first,
              and
              > I can think of many books about dance, but not music. Is it becaue
              > music is more easily heard than described in word?
              > What other stories and books are there?
              >
              > Mike B

              heh, long time no see club. I'm back (sort of) and even though this
              thread is long past, I'm gonna have my two cents.

              Anne McCaffrey and I think one of her usual collaborators (all my
              books are packed, I can't check) edited a book called Space Opera
              which was a whole bunch of short stories with a music theme. Anne's
              Crystal Singer books were also strongly rooted in song, but as Anne
              herself was once a singer, this is understandable. However, there
              are plenty of books and stories out there with a strong music base.
              Perhaps I'll read the other posts before I say more!

              Cheers
              Tehani
            • shipwreckmazuma
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 7, 2002
                Melanie Rawn's "Exile" series has some characters that are pretty
                firmly rooted in music as well.

                --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@y..., dragonkatprincess <no_reply@y...>