Re: Notall: continuing the Tolkien deba

  • notallwhowander
    Message 1 of 8165 , Feb 6, 2002
      Well, LOTR is an epic. Epics, as a genre, are
      expressions of some kind of worldview (religious or
      otherwise). While many religious texts deal directly with the
      nature of reality, morals, etc., epics explore the
      ethics and politics rooted in such revelations via a
      narrative. So seeing Tolkien�s worldview, or hearing him
      quoted as calling it deeply Catholic, is not
      surprising.<br><br>(In this way Star Trek, in all its myriad forms, can
      be seen as is an epic based on a Secular
      Humanitarian worldview.)<br><br>Is it a direct allegory? Well,
      it�s a far cry from Pilgrim�s Progress. Sure there are
      themes, and situations that clearly articulate a
      Catholic/Christian worldview, but they are occurrences that emerge
      from the narrative, rather than points that drive the
      narrative. I think this is what separates LOTR from Lewis�
      Chronicles of Narnia, which was much more
      allegorical.<br><br>I�ve heard the aphorism, �The artist can hide nothing,
      even the attempts to hide.� I think that this applies
      to what you said about finding the person of Tolkien
      within his work. <br><br>If you want a facinating glance
      into Tolkein's mind, read his short story "Leaf By
      Niggle". Here he speculates on what awaits him beyond the
      grave.<br><br>-notall'
      Message 8165 of 8165 , Jan 24, 2007