Announcement

  • gauvaine
    Message 1 of 8165 , Dec 12, 2001
      Tolkien Family Feuds Over Films <br>he family of
      Lord of the Rings author J.R.R. Tolkien has been split
      by a feud over the movie version of the trilogy, the
      British Independent newspaper reported. Christopher
      Tolkien, one of the late author's three surviving
      children, has severed contact with his eldest son in a
      dispute over Peter Jackson's upcoming three
      movies.<br><br>Christopher, 77, refused to co-operate with the project and
      remains opposed to it. But his eldest son, Simon, said
      that he was cut off from family affairs and banned
      from the board set up to protect his grandfather's
      estate after suggesting that the movies were a good
      idea, the newspaper reported.<br><br>Simon, 42, a
      barrister from London, said, "My father has refused to have
      anything to do with me or my son, who is 11, for three
      years, and he has rejected all requests to have a
      meeting. As long ago as early 1999, it was my view that we
      should take a much more positive line on the film, and
      that was overruled by my father. Following that, I was
      excluded from the board of the Tolkien
      company."<br><br>Simon met Jackson two years ago and will be attending
      the London premiere of the first Rings film, The
      Fellowship of the Ring, with his wife, Tracy, and his son
      Nicholas, the newspaper reported. The first film opens Dec.
      19.
      Message 8165 of 8165 , Jan 24, 2007