TKOED ch 1-7 Whoopie's Take

  • Whoopie_Pie_Yi_O
    Message 1 of 8165 , Sep 6, 1999
      Reading Discussion Group Kickoff<br>discusing
      cahpters one through seven <br>spoilers will be
      inside<br><br>Actually I can't go to much into detail as my laptop took
      a dive and I need to get a new one tomorrow -- I
      hope.<br><br>My overall impression so far is how simple and yet
      elegant Dunsay's writing it. Sparse in detail compared to
      today's efforts.<br><br>But I should be saving that for
      the recap =)<br><br>As much as I try I cannot help
      but see elemnts that Tolkien seems to have possibly
      been inspired by. So far it seems like the inspiration
      for part of the story of Beren and Luthien.<br><br>It
      is also intersting how there seems to be a timeless
      quality to the story. In the sense that it is hard to get
      a grasp of when this actually takes place. It is
      very much a feel of Britain that Dunsany seems to
      refer to. Culturally he seems to assume that the reader
      will know what he is talking about at certain points.
      his 'world'. Simple yet pleasant. A sort of hearty
      romanticism toward the medieval way of life.<br><br>The troll
      is an interesting character so far. I am not sure if
      he will become a device for true harm or not. His
      exchange with the fox is both witty and sly. I actualy
      started to giggle a bit about the line about the
      chickens. And the troll yelling DOG! at the hare.<br><br>I
      hope to get back online in full capacity tomorrow and
      will do greater justice to this work then.
      Message 8165 of 8165 , Jan 24, 2007