Re: [Fantasy Fiction Dungeon] Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit

  • Marc Vun Kannon
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 15, 2011
      I don't think Tolkien would have been impressed with the movie version. His
      story was about the world and the passing of an age, while the book was an
      adventure film. The mere fact that they changed the name from Ring of Doom to
      Ring of Power is a sign of great change in the emphasis.

      Tom Bombadil was less than interesting to me, as was the skinchanger who lent
      Bilbo and crew the ponies.

      Coming 5/2011: St. Martin's Moon
      The Moon is haunted, but the werewolves don't know that!
      http://www.marcvunkannon.com
      http://authorguy.wordpress.com

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 16, 2011
        I don't think JRR Tolkien would have been impressed with the LoTR films as they omitted a lot of scenes.
        I quite liked Tom Bombadil myself as it was a part of the book that seemed different than the rest. That of course is my humble opinion:)
        As for The Hobbit film I look forward to seeing the killing of the dragon (even if I don't like idea of killing anything or anyone) as the shooting seemed particularly impressive in the book! Ideally I would like everything to be included, which of course, is impossible so let's hope for the best!

        --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "loriejoel" <loriejoel@...> wrote:

        > As someone who grew up reading the books and hoping one day that someone would adapt Tolkien's work into film (a sentiment Tolkien probably would not have shared), I'm wondering how others reacted to the adaptation of the books into film. Specifically, I would like to know the following:
        >
        > 1) Do you think Tolkien would have been impressed with the adaptation of THE LORD OF THE RINGS to film?
        >
        > 2) The section of the book about Tom Bombadil was not included in the film. Was this disappointing to you, or was it a distracting aside that was not essential to the story?
        >
        > 3) Peter Jackson is directing an upcoming adaptation of THE HOBBIT. Which scene are you particularly looking forward to seeing adapted to film from the book? And, if you had to cut one scene out (i.e. Tom Bombadil, LOTR) what would it be?
        >
        > Thanks...and have at it Tolkien fans!
        >
        > Joel

      • aidanlucid
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2011
          I can understand why a lot of people didn't like the fact that a lot of the scenes from the book were omitted but one has to understand that there can only be roughly 120 pages of a movie script, with each page representing a minute of screen time, so it's impossible to fit every scene into a movie. With that said, I look forward to seeing The Hobbit and feel that it will be a spectacular movie.

          Aidan Lucid
          Author of, "The Zargothian Tales: Return of the Son of Hamorin" www.wordtechs.com/ZTLucid.html

          View the book trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDfiyy-tDLg

          --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "Natascha" <fairynatb@...> wrote:

          > I don't think JRR Tolkien would have been impressed with the LoTR films as they omitted a lot of scenes.
          > I quite liked Tom Bombadil myself as it was a part of the book that seemed different than the rest. That of course is my humble opinion:)
          > As for The Hobbit film I look forward to seeing the killing of the dragon (even if I don't like idea of killing anything or anyone) as the shooting seemed particularly impressive in the book! Ideally I would like everything to be included, which of course, is impossible so let's hope for the best!
          >
          > --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "loriejoel" <loriejoel@> wrote:
          > >
          > > As someone who grew up reading the books and hoping one day that someone would adapt Tolkien's work into film (a sentiment Tolkien probably would not have shared), I'm wondering how others reacted to the adaptation of the books into film. Specifically, I would like to know the following:
          > >
          > > 1) Do you think Tolkien would have been impressed with the adaptation of THE LORD OF THE RINGS to film?
          > >
          > > 2) The section of the book about Tom Bombadil was not included in the film. Was this disappointing to you, or was it a distracting aside that was not essential to the story?
          > >
          > > 3) Peter Jackson is directing an upcoming adaptation of THE HOBBIT. Which scene are you particularly looking forward to seeing adapted to film from the book? And, if you had to cut one scene out (i.e. Tom Bombadil, LOTR) what would it be?
          > >
          > > Thanks...and have at it Tolkien fans!
          > >
          > > Joel

        • Noelle Campbell
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 3, 2011
            I hated Tom Bombadil ... in fact, I couldn't stand Frodo at all. I think Peter
            Jackson did a good job. THink of what Bashki tried to do, and even he couldn't
            get it off the ground. I miss a lot of pieces from the book, but Jackson did
            great, made me actually like Frodo. I think Hobbit will be much easier to
            tackle and that Jackson is the best suited to tackle it.

            Are we coming back to life here? I have a short story that needs crits if so.

            Noelle

            1a. Re: Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit
            From: aidanlucid

            Message
            1a. Re: Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit
            Posted by: "aidanlucid" aidanlucid@... aidanlucid
            Date: Wed Feb 2, 2011 4:23 am ((PST))

            I can understand why a lot of people didn't like the fact that a lot of the
            scenes from the book were omitted but one has to understand that there can only
            be roughly 120 pages of a movie script, with each page representing a minute of
            screen time, so it's impossible to fit every scene into a movie. With that said,
            I look forward to seeing The Hobbit and feel that it will be a spectacular
            movie.

            Aidan Lucid
            Author of, "The Zargothian Tales: Return of the Son of Hamorin"
            www.wordtechs.com/ZTLucid.html

            View the book trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDfiyy-tDLg

            --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "Natascha" <fairynatb@...> wrote:

            > I don't think JRR Tolkien would have been impressed with the LoTR films as they
            >omitted a lot of scenes.
            > I quite liked Tom Bombadil myself as it was a part of the book that seemed
            >different than the rest. That of course is my humble opinion:)
            > As for The Hobbit film I look forward to seeing the killing of the dragon (even
            >if I don't like idea of killing anything or anyone) as the shooting seemed
            >particularly impressive in the book! Ideally I would like everything to be
            >included, which of course, is impossible so let's hope for the best!
            >
            > --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "loriejoel" <loriejoel@> wrote:
            > >
            > > As someone who grew up reading the books and hoping one day that someone
            >would adapt Tolkien's work into film (a sentiment Tolkien probably would not
            >have shared), I'm wondering how others reacted to the adaptation of the books
            >into film. Specifically, I would like to know the following:
            > >
            > > 1) Do you think Tolkien would have been impressed with the adaptation of THE
            >LORD OF THE RINGS to film?
            > >
            > > 2) The section of the book about Tom Bombadil was not included in the film.
            >Was this disappointing to you, or was it a distracting aside that was not
            >essential to the story?
            > >
            > > 3) Peter Jackson is directing an upcoming adaptation of THE HOBBIT. Which
            >scene are you particularly looking forward to seeing adapted to film from the
            >book? And, if you had to cut one scene out (i.e. Tom Bombadil, LOTR) what would
            >it be?
            > >
            > > Thanks...and have at it Tolkien fans!
            > >
            > > Joel

            Messages in this topic (4)