Is mathematics a universal concept?

  • Rachel C
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1 6:17 PM
      Last night my boyfriend and I were having an interesting discussion about whether maths is a universal concept or a human based concept like time.
      Would the same rules apply on another planet? Would aliens count the same way we do? Would the same laws apply? Or would there be an entirely new system that humans couldn't even comprehend?
      I thought it might be interesting to get other peoples thoughts on it
    • Jeff Cherpeski
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1 7:52 PM
        I don't think that math is universal as humans see it.  Just look at the history of math wiki page to see how it evolved. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_mathematics

        A real simple way to see how it could be different is the different methods of measurement, Standard v. Metric, Fahrenheit v Celsius, all are a bit different and why would a civilization from somewhere where all creatures have 12 digits on their two hands use a base 10 system?

        Even if it isn't universal, it could be easily translated.  Much easier than a language.