Re: Sub standard Childrens books

  • Kirk
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2009
      Don't get me started on Christopher Paolini and the dreck he has churned out and gotten paid for. Just horrible, horrible stuff with every cliche and genre, from Star Wars to the LOTR, thrown into his books.

      as for these substandard books, people keep buying them, propagating the problem. If it sells, they will keep writing them and paying for people to write them. The days of Lewis, Tolkien, White, Stewart, Le Guinn, Simak, van Vogt, ec cetera are over. We are saddled with Laurell K. Hamilton and Jim Butcher clones, with vampire and werewolf of the month romance stories, replete with witches, magic, demons, demon hunters, ghosts, warlocks, angels, minions, and the whatever else comes out each month. The Twilight books have only heightened that glut in the market. They will keep churning it out until it doesn't sell anymore, then something else will come along that isn't new, but new to the tweens, who have disposable income, and it will start all over again.

      Go into Borders or Barnes and Noble and you will see epic fantasy gone, except for a few stalwarts like Jordan, Goodkind, Williams, Martin; science fiction is on its last legs, but, of course, there is a ton of supernatural fluff. Some people love that stuff. That's fine. It all goes in cycles.

      --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, Noelle Hay <swampfaye@...> wrote:

      > I just got my daughter Brisigr. I've read the HP books. I started reading Twilight but it was far too vapid for me. I want to know why we keep elevating these sub standard writers books. None of these books are along the line of Narnia or the HObbit, or the Phantom TOllbooth. I think publishers have grown far too fond of nepotism (Brisigr was written by a publishers 18 year old son), looking at all the most 'popular' childrens books (juvenile fiction), it seems they have lowered, vastly, their standards or too lazy to find anything of merit anymore.
      >
      > The writing, the grammar, it's all there and wonderful, but the stories, the characters, the plots are all sub standard. Twilight is nothing but cinderella meets a vampire, and THAT would be much more interesting than what they've composed. Harry Potter never 'grows' - he just has talent and luck and never pays for any of his mistakes (even if his friends do) - though I think that series started out very well, it became too complicated, it might as well have been an RPG at the end. Brisigr... Fearless...Lightening Thief a whole host of books I could name that have stagnant characters that could NEVER be published 20 years ago. It's no wonder our children are so vapid, they have no heroes worth emulating. They haven't the mythology under their belts to establish good causes and what heroes need to be and do. Heroes can't be heroes unless they have superpowers.
      >
      > I'm very disappointed at the state of childrens books, and have started to fall back to the classics for my children. Little House on the Prairie, Hobbit, Narnia...
      >
      > Thanks for letting me vent.
      >

      > Noelle

    • picabo_yve_2005
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 4, 2009
        The depth for Eragon was not there to keep me interested... and I hate copy cat writing.

        As for Twilight it is fun for a light read... it is more a teen romance than a fantasy fiction book to me and therefore appropriate in it's lack of character development and depth... I still enjoy the basic story.... Girl falls for bad boy, who has a hint of goodness that shines through, good vs evil. At least I was drawn to finish it which is more than I can say for quite a few titles i've picked up lately and

        I loved Harry Potter.... :)

        But I am a big kid at heart most of the time.