Harvey-467 Makes a Bride debuts

  • chapman208
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2009
      I'm pleased to announce that my short story, Harvey-467 Makes a
      Bride is being released on Thursday, Sept. 3, by Red Rose Publishing
      <http://redrosepublishing.com/> . It's a futuristic sci-fi story and
      it's only 99 cents. To order, go to the order page
      <http://redrosepublishing.com/bookstore/product_info.php?products_id=410\
      > . Here's the blurb and a short excerpt:

      Harvey-467 is a typical 25th century android--blond, blue-eyed, and
      perfect in every way. Except he's constrained by his programming. He
      yearns to be creative, but it's impossible. Everything in his life
      is planned, deliberate, precise.

      One day he concludes that it's time to get married, to have a soul mate
      with which to share his life. So he custom-orders a bride from a
      catalog: beautiful, talented, and equally perfect.

      And that's when everything goes terribly wrong.

      Excerpt:

      When consciousness resumed, he checked his internal chrono and was
      stunned to find that 1.86 hours had elapsed since shutdown. It was well
      past midnight.

      Wow, my cortex must really have gotten hot if it took this long to cool
      down to safe levels.

      He became aware of his surroundings. But how did I get from the living
      room to the back porch?

      I wonder what Maya must have thought when I froze up. She was so angry I
      wouldn't be surprised if she went on for ten minutes before
      noticing.

      He chuckled at the image of her berating the back of his inanimate head,
      and then becoming twice as incensed that he hadn't heard a word
      she'd said all that time.

      She must have been so mad she carried me out here. Well, I guess I'd
      better get it over with. I hope she didn't lock me out.

      He sighed and tried the door handle. It turned.

      What he saw in the living room shocked him to the processor core. There
      lay Maya, her beautiful face smashed flat and her cortex spilling out of
      massive rends in her cranium plate. The spark of sentience was gone from
      her lovely green eyes. Red hydraulic fluid had leaked all over the mint
      green Berber carpet she'd insisted on buying. More had sprayed the
      walls and ceiling.

      But how? Who? What happened here? Who would murder an android—and
      why?

      Mark.

      Web: http://markterencechapman.com <http://markterencechapman.com/>

      Blog: http://tesserene.blogspot.com <http://tesserene.blogspot.com/>