David Eddings Dies

  • jcherper
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 4, 2009
      http://www.nevadaappeal.com/article/20090604/NEWS/906039854/1070&ParentP\
      rofile=1058
      <http://www.nevadaappeal.com/article/20090604/NEWS/906039854/1070&Parent\
      Profile=1058>

      Acclaimed fantasy writer David Carroll Eddings died Tuesday of natural
      causes at his Carson City home, his family announced Wednesday.

      Eddings, 77, wrote more than two dozen novels, his most popular being
      the multi-volume "Belgariad" and "Malloreon" series. His
      last book was "The Younger Gods" published in 2006, said younger
      brother Dennis Eddings, 70, who came to Carson City Tuesday night to
      handle his brother's affairs.

      Born July 7, 1931, in Spokane, Wash., David Eddings decided in high
      school he wanted to be a writer, said Dennis. But first he served two
      years in the U.S. Army, discharging from service in 1956 on the very day
      that Dennis enlisted.

      "He said I was his replacement," the younger Eddings recalled
      with a laugh.

      Eddings went on to work for grocery store chains, and in 1973 published
      his first novel, "High Hunt," a non-fantasy story that explores
      themes of manhood and coming of age for four men on a hunting trip
      shortly after the Vietnam War.

      In 1978, Eddings picked up a copy of J.R.R. Tolkein's "The Lord
      of the Rings" and decided fantasy writing was his calling.

      "He said, `This is where it's at,'" Dennis recalled.

      Eddings immediately began laying out the worlds in his eight-book series
      "The Belgariad," soon followed by the five-book series "The
      Malloreon."

      Eddings' wife Leigh contributed to the books, but it wasn't
      until his fifth book, "Enchanter's End Game," in The
      Belgariad series that she was credited.

      "Leigh had an incredible imagination. She collaborated with Dave on
      all of the books after `High Hunt,'" said Dennis. "At one
      point she finally said, `I'm helping you do this and I deserve
      to be on that page too,' and he said, `Of course you do.'"

      Leigh suffered a series of strokes starting around 1999, said Dennis.

      "The consequence of the stroke was that Leigh was pretty much
      reduced to the mentality of a 3-year-old," said Dennis.

      But Eddings continued to care for his wife with the help of his
      mother-in-law in the Carson City home he'd owned since 1988.

      "I never understood why David, with the money he had, didn't
      hire someone to take care of Leigh," said Dennis.

      Eddings kept his family at arm's length during Leigh's illness.

      "He did not want us to see Leigh in that state, and we had to
      respect that," said Dennis.

      She died in February 2007, a month after Eddings accidentally set his
      northeast Carson City office on fire.

      On Jan. 25, 2007, the world-renowned writer was just a stunned homeowner
      standing on the street in his pajamas and slippers.

      Eddings admitted he'd made a foolish mistake when, while using water
      to flush out the gas tank on his sports car, he noticed liquid running
      out of the garage.

      Wanting to test whether it was water or gasoline, Eddings tossed a lit
      piece of paper onto it. The garage went up in flames.

      In a room below the garage were the original hand-written manuscripts of
      Eddings' novels. Dennis said they escaped the flames.

      "One word comes to mind," David Eddings said at the time of the
      fire. "Dumb."

      In the past year, Eddings was not the man he once was, said Dennis.

      The Carson City Sheriff's Department responded to Eddings'
      Bonanza Drive home four times in August. The dispatch logs indicate
      Eddings was disoriented.

      "He had been ill with dementia for a long time but he was on a very
      fast downhill slide since last September," said Dennis. "He had
      24-hour care. His death did not come as a surprise."

      In his final months Eddings was working on a manuscript unlike anything
      he'd ever written. It remains incomplete, said Dennis.

      "It was very, very different. I wouldn't call it exactly a
      satire of fantasy but it sure plays with the genre," said Dennis.

      He said all of Eddings' manuscripts, including the unfinished work,
      will go to his alma mater, Reed College in Portland, Ore.

      Asked what his brother would want people to remember about him, Dennis
      didn't hesitate.

      "Dave was a very, very private person," he said. "But that
      he was a good writer who loved to tell good stories."

      Eddings is survived by his brother, sister, Kay Cox of Wenatchee, Wash.,
      and half-brother, Richard Blake of Kingsland, Ga.

      Honoring David's request, there will be no public services, said
      Dennis.

      "David was a brilliant and unique human being who will be very much
      missed by those of us who knew him. But for us and his many readers, his
      voice is still at hand, ready to ring vibrantly once more by the simple
      and vital act of opening one of his books," said Eddings'
      sister-in-law, Jane Eddings, in an e-mail. "For that legacy, we are
      all thankful."

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 5, 2009
        I just saw this on my yahoo site, how sad. I loved th ebelgariad and Melorian series... He did write great characters. We are losing some of the truly factastic writers that have inspired us all. Peace be with him and his family. Blessed be.. Yvette

        --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "jcherper" <jcherper@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > will go to his alma mater, Reed College in Portland, Ore.
        >
        > Asked what his brother would want people to remember about him, Dennis
        > didn't hesitate.
        >
        > "Dave was a very, very private person," he said. "But that
        > he was a good writer who loved to tell good stories."
        >
        > Eddings is survived by his brother, sister, Kay Cox of Wenatchee, Wash.,
        > and half-brother, Richard Blake of Kingsland, Ga.
        >
        > Honoring David's request, there will be no public services, said
        > Dennis.
        >
        > "David was a brilliant and unique human being who will be very much
        > missed by those of us who knew him. But for us and his many readers, his
        > voice is still at hand, ready to ring vibrantly once more by the simple
        > and vital act of opening one of his books," said Eddings'
        > sister-in-law, Jane Eddings, in an e-mail. "For that legacy, we are

      • karl barnes
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 5, 2009
           Add me to those,who enjoyed his works as a younger lad, mourn his passing.

          ________________________________
          I just saw this on my yahoo site, how sad. I loved th ebelgariad and Melorian series... He did write great characters. We are losing some of the truly factastic writers that have inspired us all. Peace be with him and his family. Blessed be.. Yvette

          --- In fantasyfictiondunge on@yahoogroups. com, "jcherper" <jcherper@.. .> wrote:

          > http://www.nevadaappeal.com/article/20090604/NEWS/906039854/1070&ParentP (2) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic
          Messages | Polls | Members

          Recent Activity
          *  1
          New MembersVisit Your Group
          Give Back
          Yahoo! for Good
          Get inspired
          by a good cause.
          Y! Toolbar
          Get it Free!
          easy 1-click access
          to your groups.
          Yahoo! Groups
          Start a group
          in 3 easy steps.
          Connect with others.
          .

        • mouseymouseim
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 6, 2009
            Ben and I are both saddened to hear about this loss, our favorites was the church night series.