Today's blog about ebook piracy

  • Mark Terence Chapman
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 31, 2008
      I blogged today about the growing problem of ebook theft: sharing or
      reselling ebooks. The blog entry includes a link to the
      AuthorsAgainstE-BookTheft Yahoo group, for any readers who wish to
      report a piracy site. Here's the url for the blog entry:

      <http://tesserene.blogspot.com/2008/12/ebook-resales-good-or-bad-idea.ht\
      ml>
      <http://tesserene.blogspot.com/2008/12/ebook-resales-good-or-bad-idea.ht\
      ml>
      http://tesserene.blogspot.com/2008/12/ebook-resales-good-or-bad-idea.htm\
      <http://tesserene.blogspot.com/2008/12/ebook-resales-good-or-bad-idea.ht\
      ml>

      Mark.

    • Jeff Cherpeski
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 31, 2008
        If I buy an e-book, I should be able to do with it as I please.  Even if that means reselling it, though I am not advocating piracy.  DRM is dying a slow death, and it will actually be good for it to die.

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 3, 2009
          that means reselling it, though I am not advocating piracy.

          Jeff: Consider the following scenario: You've written a book. One day, you
          notice that someone is selling 10 paperback copies on eBay. That's good
          news, because it means they bought 10 copies from your publisher and they
          have ten copies to sell.

          Okay, so now change that scenario to ebooks. Hmm. Did he buy 10 copies, or
          only 1? Or did he buy a copy at all? Maybe he got a copy from a friend. And
          who say's he'll stop at selling 10 copies. Maybe he'll sell 500 over time.
          Did you get royalties for ANY of those copies? Not if he didn't buy them
          from the publisher.

          I have no problem with readers making backup copies, or sharing a copy with
          their immediate family. (After all, we all do that with print books.) But
          when it comes to uploading a copy to a website for the enjoyment of hundreds
          or thousands of other people, with no compensation to the author, that's
          where I draw the line.)

          I recently heard about a website that charges a "membership fee" to join and
          download from a library of thousands of copyrighted books. So the website is
          benefiting from the books, but the authors aren't. How is that fair? There's
          a torrent site I came across that has over *15,000* books available for free
          download. So this isn't a little problem we're talking about, with a few
          people sharing books with their friends. It's systematic, large-scale
          piracy.

          Mark.

          On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 8:53 PM, Jeff Cherpeski <jcherper@...> wrote:

          > If I buy an e-book, I should be able to do with it as I please. Even if
          > that means reselling it, though I am not advocating piracy. DRM is dying a
          > slow death, and it will actually be good for it to die.
          >
          > --- On Wed, 12/31/08, Mark Terence Chapman <MarkTerenceChapman@...<MarkTerenceChapman%40gmail.com>>
          > wrote:
          > From: Mark Terence Chapman <MarkTerenceChapman@...<MarkTerenceChapman%40gmail.com>
          > >
          > Subject: [Fantasy Fiction Dungeon] Today's blog about ebook piracy
          > To: fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com<fantasyfictiondungeon%40yahoogroups.com>
          > Date: Wednesday, December 31, 2008, 10:56 AM
          >

          > I blogged today about the growing problem of ebook theft: sharing or
          >
          > reselling ebooks. The blog entry includes a link to the
          >
          > AuthorsAgainstE- BookTheft Yahoo group, for any readers who wish to
          >
          > report a piracy site. Here's the url for the blog entry:
          >
          > <http://tesserene. blogspot. com/2008/ 12/ebook- resales-good-
          > or-bad-idea. ht\
          >
          > ml>
          >
          > <http://tesserene. blogspot. com/2008/ 12/ebook- resales-good-
          > or-bad-idea. ht\
          >
          > ml>
          >
          > http://tesserene. blogspot. com/2008/ 12/ebook- resales-good- or-bad-idea.
          > htm\

          > <http://tesserene. blogspot. com/2008/ 12/ebook- resales-good-
          > or-bad-idea. ht\
          >
          > ml>
          >
          > Mark.

          Mark Terence Chapman
          - The Mars Imperative (2007)
          - The World Outside the Window anthology (RJ Buckley, January 2009)
          - Sunrise Destiny (Red Rose, 1Q/2009)
          - Harvey-467 Makes a Bride (Red Rose, 1Q/2009)
          Web: http://tesserene.com; Blog: http://tesserene.blogspot.com

        • jcherper
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 3, 2009
            The simple solution is to not sell e-books. If you think torrents are
            bad check out IRC, easily more than any website. E-books are easy to
            copy and distribute, that is the problem with the media. If you don't
            want to see your hard work end up on the internet for free you need to
            avoid the whole method of publishing.

            --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Chapman"
            arkTerenceChapman@...> wrote

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 3, 2009
              you need to avoid the whole method of publishing.

              I suppose your advice to musicians is not to record music, because people
              pirate CDs. And DVDs, and software, and video games.

              eBooks aren't going away. On the contrary. Eventually, there won't be any
              more printed books. They'll be too costly, and ebooks are just too
              convenient. (An entire library can fit inside one ebook reader. You can't
              get more convenient than that.)

              The best solution is to educate the consumer, so that they don't think
              sharing ebooks (or CDs, DVDs, etc.) with the world is okay and harmless.

              Mark.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 3, 2009
                Until there is an e-book reader that is actually convenient and
                reasonable to use (Kindle is close, but who will pay $300.00?) e-books
                are going to be a fringe market. Right now I have a number of e-books
                (most tech books come with a PDF version) but I don't use the e-book.
                Too much of a pain to make notes, or study with. I might print out a
                chapter or two, if I am going somewhere and don't want the whole book,
                but otherwise it sits in the sleeve.

                As for music, the RIAA is losing the battle. Wal-mart.com, Amazon.com
                and others (even iTunes on a limited basis) are no longer selling DRM
                mp3s. The mp3s you get from them have no rights management. You can
                put them on any number of devices or burn them to your hearts content,
                there are no limits, unlike iTunes which limits you to a set number (5
                I believe) of usages. The non-DRM sales are surpassing the DRM sales.
                People want to do what they want with things they buy.

                Educating people is never going to work as long as people believe they
                have the right to the product they bought. Microsoft found out that
                people don't like intrusive activation, the public outcry made them
                change how Windows Vista activates. The music industry is finding out
                that same lesson.

                Publishing is still not there and may not get there as actual printing
                will not go away too soon. E-books are not going to make large
                printing houses go away from still offering the book in actual paper.
                The profit to cost is still great enough to warrant printing of books.
                It is for the small publishing houses, those are the ones that can't
                make a go in the industry any more.

                Will the loss of these small publishers impact most readers? Probably
                not. I don't know the last time that I bought something that I could
                not find at Costco or Borders/Barnes and Noble.

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 4, 2009
                  I've combined my responses to a couple of different posts in this one
                  reply. (I hope you don't mind.)

                  Comment: Until there is an e-book reader that is actually convenient
                  and reasonable to use (Kindle is close, but who will pay $300.00?)
                  e-books are going to be a fringe market.

                  My response: I agree, but that's changing quickly. The quality of the
                  screen, the battery life, and the ease of use are already much better
                  than they were three years ago, and the prices will keep dropping.
                  (Probably under $50 in a few years. Look at DVD players, which were
                  over $500 a few years ago) I think within the next five years ebook
                  readers will reach the tipping point, where they're good enough and
                  cheap enough that people will buy them in droves for the convenience.
                  Look at iPhones. They're ridiculously expensive, but people buy them
                  because of what they can do. A few years ago, iPods were the same way.
                  But now there are lower-end models that are affordable, and everyone
                  seems to have one. eBook readers will be the same way.

                  Comment: People want to do what they want with things they buy.

                  My response: Of course. And they should be able to, within reason. But
                  I think being able to sell 500 copies of something they paid for one
                  copy of is unreasonable, yet some pirates are doing exactly that.

                  Comment: Educating people is never going to work as long as people
                  believe they
                  have the right to the product they bought

                  My response: That's exactly the point of the education, to open
                  people's eyes and get them to understand that what some people are
                  doing is wrong. The PETA ads and others of that type have opened
                  people's eyes to animal cruelty. Fur sales are down, and animal
                  testing of cosmetics has pretty much been abolished.

                  You know what they say about locks only keeping honest people honest.
                  If everyone thinks it's okay to share ebooks with everyone they know
                  (and some they don't), then the book industry is done for, because
                  eventually all books will be sold that way. The revenue stream will
                  dry up if books are routinely pirated. But if we can make readers
                  understand that they are hurting the book industry (authors and
                  publishers alike), most people (the honest ones) will stop posting
                  ebooks to websites for widespread distribution. The publishing
                  industry can take action against relatively few pirates, but not
                  against millions of otherwise law-abiding citizens who each upload a
                  few books.

                  Objection: I've seen e-books for $25, so they're not even cheap. I
                  guess the author and/or publisher figures people will pay $25 for a
                  hardcover, so why shouldn't they charge the same?

                  My response: I'm sure there are exceptions, but most ebooks are
                  significantly cheaper than the equivalent print book. Check out
                  fictionwise.com.

                  Comment: E-books are not going to make large printing houses go away
                  from still offering the book in actual paper. The profit to cost is
                  still great enough to warrant printing of books.

                  My response: I agree that ebooks aren't going to make large publishers
                  stop printing books. The cost of printing and shipping them will do
                  that. In the past year, many of these publishers had to lay off
                  employees, merge with other publishing houses, and even cut mid-list
                  authors, because they were losing money or barely getting by. The
                  picture isn't as rosy as you seem to think. The publishers can't keep
                  laying people off to save money, because a certain minimum number are
                  required to do the job effectively. (If you've read any books lately,
                  you've probably noticed that the editing quality of some of them is
                  aready suffering, with frequent grammatical and spelling errors that I
                  never used to see from the big houses.)

                  As a result, they'll start offering ebooks as a cost-saving
                  alternative to print. Oh, they'll bill it as a way for consumers to
                  save money, but it'll really be to save them money. Costs will be ower
                  and profits higher. And they'll start promoting the hell out of ebooks.

                  Consider the various costs incurred by publishers: editing, designing
                  covers, printing (printing machines, paper, and toner/ink), shipping,
                  advertising, etc. All of these are incurred by print books. But with
                  ebooks, you can eliminate the printing and shipping costs. Everything
                  else should remain the same. We all saw what happened to the cost of
                  food and almost everything else when fuel prices skyrocketed last
                  year. A large part of the price increases was due to the higher cost
                  of shipping. (After all, trucks, airplanes, and ships all use that
                  expensive fuel.)

                  Sure, fuel prices have dropped back to more reasonable levels, but for
                  how long? The next mid-East crisis or whatever can send them up again.
                  And fossil fuels will only get dearer as the supply diminishes. But
                  those are costs that go away entirely with ebooks (along with the
                  costs for paper and those multimillion-dollar high-speed printers).

                  The consumers won't be quick to switch--many of them won't unless
                  forced to. But eventually the only way they'll be able to find certain
                  books will be in electronic form, and they won't have any choice but
                  to do so. When that point is reached, it's just a matter of time until
                  all books are only offered that way.

                  And it's not a bad thing. All those back-list titles that are out of
                  print can be reissued, because with no printing costs (they've already
                  been edited and the covers designed), there's no reason not to offer
                  them if there's even minimal demand.

                  All this won't happen in five years, perhaps not ten. But I don't
                  think we'll see any more print books (except possibly special edition
                  hardbacks) 20 years from now. (Do you buy many albums on cassette tape
                  these days? I don't think video tapes will be sold much longer, either.)

                  Everything's going digital: TV, music, movies, cellphones, and now books.

                  Mark.

                  --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "jcherper"
                  <jcherper@...> wrote:

                  > Until there is an e-book reader that is actually convenient and
                  > reasonable to use (Kindle is close, but who will pay $300.00?) e-books
                  > are going to be a fringe market. Right now I have a number of e-books
                  > (most tech books come with a PDF version) but I don't use the e-book.
                  > Too much of a pain to make notes, or study with. I might print out a
                  > chapter or two, if I am going somewhere and don't want the whole book,
                  > but otherwise it sits in the sleeve.