Young Irish author with very rare syndrome releases first book of poetry

  • aidanlucid
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 10, 2007
      This is an extract taken from a local disability newsletter:

      Aidan Lucid from Co. Kerry, Ireland, is a Moebius Syndrome sufferer
      and talks about his disability and the fears he overcame to publish
      his first book of poetry, A Viking's Prayer.

      Aidan Lucid's first book of poetry, A Viking's Prayer, will be
      published on December 14th 2007 and for the author this is a big
      achievement. Aidan was born on 28th July 1981 with a very rare
      syndrome known as "Moebius Syndrome," which left his face paralysed
      since birth, preventing him from smiling or moving his eyes.

      "When I was younger I had to undergo numerous operations to correct
      certain parts of my body, e.g. my feet which were turned inwards and
      I also had some operations on my left hand which is deformed. As a
      teenager my disability did bother me and I was very conscious of it
      but now it doesn't really bother me that much. My attitude in life
      is, `you either take me as I am or just walk on by.'"

      A Viking's Prayer is an exploration into life itself and how the
      author sees the world. The 26 year-old says that he draws inspiration
      from every day life.

      "Past personal experiences and also everyday life are the source of
      my inspiration. I see homeless people on the street or overhear
      humorous tales in the pub and they inspire me to write. My love for
      God also encourages me to write poems about him or Our Lady. I'm also
      a lover of history and certain historical figures, such as Spartacus
      and the Irish king/warrior, Brian BorĂº, have also inspired me, so
      I've written poems in their honour."

      In Aidan's own words, A Viking's Prayer very nearly didn't
      happen at all.

      "I have been working on this book of poetry for three years now but I
      was afraid to release it because I thought that people might think it
      wasn't good enough. One day I showed it to a friend of mine who is
      brutally honest and he loved it. I showed it to a member of my
      writing group and he was thoroughly impressed too so I decided to
      self-publish it."

      Aidan offers some advice to people with disabilities or to anybody
      who is self-conscious about their bodies.

      "Don't let your disability or fears hold you back. Be who you want to
      be and just remember that no matter what anybody says, you're special
      both inside and out."

      A Viking's Prayer (ISBN-13: 978-0-9558029-0-4) is now on sale and you
      can purchase an autographed copy from Aidan Lucid's website,
      www.avikingsprayer.com