Please help me remember this book series/title!

  • aquilalorelei
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 5 10:13 PM
      Bear with me, please as I put forth what I *do* remember, in the hopes
      that I can get some assistance figuring out this enigma. I had quite
      literally stumbled across this book while doing an Amazon search for
      "The Glasswright's Master" by Mindy Klasky, meaning the book is
      centered on a female protagonist. It is the first in a trilogy, of
      which I believe all three are out. They are from 2000 or later, likely
      even more recent than that, perhaps '04 or '05 for this first one. The
      title MAY relate to ice/glaciers or ships.

      I know, further that the Amazon review was lackluster, and the
      customer reviews I think were 3 1/2-to-4 stars (though that has not
      deterred me from wanting to track it down at my library).

      It centers on a young woman who is just coming into her own in terms
      of learning to use magic. She desperately wants her parents to take
      her to a local trader's fair a few towns over to practice. Then the
      intrigue starts...

      It's a relatively ordinary-sized fantasy novel, given its serial
      nature, at likely 350-450 pages in total.

      Leave us not forget also the list of facts I know to be true about
      this book in terms of the visual composition of its cover, which are
      the following:

      * Its "cover bars" (the letterbox-like frames at the top and bottom of
      a cover or back cover) are lime/poison-green. I mean it. '80's
      slap-bracelet neon green. Almost retina-scorching.

      * There is a cliff on one side, and a blonde girl (the heroine)
      standing on the bow of a ship on the other. I cannot remember (because
      memory is a fallible mistress) whether it was cliff left/ship right
      (though that's the more likely), or ship right/cliff left

      * 85-90% certainty of it being published by ROC (the British
      sci-fi/fantasy imprint of Penguin Putnam)

      * NOTE: IT IS *NOT* ANY OF THE "TRUTH" SERIES BY DAWN COOK, since I
      own those and know (most of) my own library by heart. I've already
      thanked two people for that suggestion.
      Besides, Dawn Cook's protagonist is (I believe) an orphan, so the
      point about her *parents* taking her to the fair is moot. Dawn's
      series covers are too pastel, and there are FOUR, not three in the
      "Truth" series. "Truth" is also not through Roc publishing.
      It is also NOT by Janny Wurts, it is NOT "True Confessions of
      Charlotte Doyle," it is NOT by Robin Hobb and it is NOT the Black
      Magician trilogy.

      Thanks in advance and any help is appreciated!