The Prince of Nothing

  • crowgirl
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 18, 2007
      I just got my latest 'girly porn' fantasy satisfied. A friend who can afford to buy hardbacks just loaned me the latest Laurell K. Hamilton "Anita Blake Vampire Hunter" novel. She's so popular that there are always 20 people ahead of me at the library on the reserve list so it takes forever to get to check it out. I was loosing interest after the last few that really sounded like SHE was loosing interest, but then I found out she was pregnant so maybe she had a contract to fill and her heart wasn't in it. This last one, "The Harlequin" had more of her old plot style.

      I just now finishing a series called "The Prince of Nothing" by R. Scott Bakker, a first time effort by a Canadian author. A complex Holy War and Apocalyptical trilogy. I'm very impressed. One seldom gets complex character dialog in most swords/sorcery stuff but this one takes a long time to find out what's REALLY going on and he avoids the usual genre clichés with the characters.

      I've read all of Robert Holdstock's Merlin Codex and really enjoyed his take on the Arthurian legends but this 'Mythago Wood' I've missed. Thanks for the info. One of the reasons I joined a group like this. Many of the best books I find some friend points out to me. As to not finishing a book, I'm one of those people that feels obligated to finish a book once I start it even if it comes down to speed reading because the stuff is sooooo tedious. I have to find out what the story is all about. Not being a writer I can only imagine the pressure to make a book out of a short story if that's what was promised!

      ~crowgirl
      merry meet at:
      http://360.yahoo.com/baobh_a_fitheach

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 19, 2007
        I have been unable to read The Harlequin as my husband has had it,
        but also due to the fact I am trying to finish Lamb, by christopher
        Moore. I know it is not really Science fiction or even Urban
        fantasy, but he is good. The one I really liked was Bloodsucking
        Feinds. Nothing like Anita Blake, but good enough that it made me
        think of Turkey Bowling! Even though I can't do that at my store.
        Marcie
        --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "crowgirl"

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 20, 2007
            That is one I haven't read yet. The Christopher Moore books came
            from my brother-in-law and everyone here has been reading them. I
            currently live with my husband and mother-in-law. I will have to
            check that book out.