A newbie hello...

  • raegenhare
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 6, 2007
      Hi! My name is Sheri Gormley, and I'd like to share my dragon
      eSerial, THE EYE OF CAER WEILEN, with all of you. It's currently
      available through Virtual Tales (www.VirtualTales.com). You can also
      visit the story website at www.CaerWeilen.com.

      Virtual Tales emails you issues of the eSerials you subscribe to
      twice each week. You can get the first four issues of any eSerial
      sent to you as a free trial, and each serial costs between $3.95-
      $6.95 total, depending on the number of words and/or issues.

      Anyway, Virtual Tales is doing a bunch of special promotions by genre
      during the month of June, and I know that they will be running a
      Fantasy sale next week. And anyone who signs up for a free trial of
      any story during June and/or makes a purchase will be entered into a
      drawing to win their entire eBook catalog.

      I am new to this group and I just discovered that members cannot post
      files; I was going to post the first four issues of CAER WEILEN for
      you to enjoy. I'll see if I can post them somewhere on my website so
      you can look at them there.

      Sheri

      P.S. -- For those aspiring writers here, Virtual Tales is looking for
      writers in multiple genres, and the submission proceedure is posted
      on the website, too.

      P.P.S. -- Did I mention how much I really, really LOVE the cover of
      Caer Weilen? Michael Leadingham is an awesome artist...
    • Jeff Cherpeski
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 7, 2007
        Monty Python comes to mind....

        Spam, Spam, Spammity Spam.

        raegenhare <design@...> wrote: Hi! My name is Sheri Gormley, and I'd like to share my dragon
[...]

      • Saje
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 7, 2007
          Do you folks realize how few avenues for reaching out to readers of speculative fiction are available on-line? Readers of romance and its sub-genres outnumber fantasy and sci-fi buffs on-line by roughly a thousand to one. This little yahoo group, for example, is the largest of the fantasy sites here and it is roughly the same size as the smallest of the romance reader groups.

          The key to success as an author these days isn't so much in the writing, though that is as important as ever, but in the promotion. If people don't KNOW to read you, all the talent and skill in the world isn't going to bring people to your door.

          My publisher, Samhain, has gone from being a virtual unknown to becoming a second tier to the big houses themselves in only a few short years, due in part to the talent of its authors and our unflagging devotion to the OTHER side of our mission, which is to promote our work and those of our fellows anywhere and everywhere we can, in whatever manner is made available to us.

          So perhaps this was spam, yes. Or maybe not. In either case, it's an example of trying to reach out to prospective readers in one of the most efficient ways available to a fellow author. I find responses like this one to be not only rude, but thoughtless and cruel.

          One of the things that seems to set the members of the romance groups apart from some is that romance readers seem to be genuinely friendly. Since I don't write romance specifically, though some might consider that entirely a matter of opinion, I am at a bit of a disadvantage posting on such lists. Yet, to be honest, they don't treat me like an unwelcome stray sniffing around the door in search of a free meal.

          It's no wonder that fantasy is becoming the Romance genre's poor cousin, at least on-line. Romance readers seem to be interested in something other than authors who are already well-known and whose bank accounts are well-padded. They are more interested in the STORY than the name.

          One fellow author who posts to this group on occasion is the ONLY author (or reader, for that matter) I've ever seen with the gall and bad grace to bash another's promotional efforts on-line. And the fact that he's associated with this group at all brought me to the brink of leaving it on the spot. No one, and I mean NO ONE, does that. It's in horribly poor taste and left me wondering what, precisely, he was trying to accomplish by it. Not to mention guessing at his motivations.

          I despise arrogance and pretension above all, followed closely by overt rudeness. If one cannot keep a civil tongue in one's mouth in day to day discourse, perhaps that appendage would better yet adorn the end of someone's dagger instead.

          Personally I'd recommend developing a more receptive air here, and giving these poor folks the benefit of the doubt. I have to wonder how many of the lurkers here are authors who are afraid to stick their foot into the water out of fear of someone biting off their toes.

          That is not to say that everyone here seems a troll ready to pounce. The women in this group, at least, seem quite friendly and receptive. Maybe that tells more of the tale than I had realized.

          Then again, I've always found the company of women to be preferable to that of most men. The behavior of the aforementioned fellow author, who shall remain nameless, seems to vindicate this preference.

          A pity, that.

          Adieu,

          Saje Williams

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 7, 2007
              On the description page of this Yahoo Group is the following text:

              "If you have a book, game, movie/tv review or an interesting
              anecdote, please post, we'd love to hear from you. Topic threads are
              usually various and colorful, so have it and let's have some fun."

              I have written an eBook, and I posted. How is that spam? I provided a
              link to a FREE excerpt of my work -- how is that spam? I don't expect
              people to be able to talk with me about my work if they haven't read
              it, after all. So why do you think my post was spam?

              Again, from the Yahoo Group description:

              "This club is about sharing your delight with fantasy and science
              fiction, whether you read it, write it or love watching it, whether
              it be Television, Movies, comic books, anime, computer or platform
              games and any other medium you can think of."

              My publisher, Virtual Tales, is running a sale on genre fiction,
              including Fantasy. From the description of this Yahoo Group, I
              expected there would be some members who like to read Fantasy eBooks,
              so I passed the news along. They're giving away their entire eBook
              library in a free drawing, for goodness sake -- why is it spam to
              share that information? Did I say you can only buy my work? That you
              have to buy anything? No. I simply said that they were doing a
              promotion and a giveaway. How is that spam?

              I see that you are moderator of this group, Jeff, which makes it even
              more puzzling. I assume you or one of the other moderators wrote the
              description for this group. If your group has changed -- that is, you
              don't want published authors to post about their works, or for
              members to share information about Fantasy promotions at book
              websites, then perhaps you should change the group description, or
              set up this Yahoo Group so that you have to approve all messages
              before they are posted.

              Saje is right -- social networking is one of the best ways for new
              authors to promote their works. I'm really excited about THE EYE OF
              CAER WEILEN, and I enjoy talking about it. I've done live chats,
              sponsored contests, and posted information wherever I can to promote
              my book, and the Fantasy genre in general. I think THE EYE OF CAER
              WEILEN is the best new take on dragonlore since Pern, and I've got
              lots of fans and readers who feel that way, too. It's well
              researched, well written and professionally edited -- and the cover
              artwork is gorgeous. I am totally jazzed about it.

              But I am new author. CAER WEILEN is my first published work, and I
              hope to follow it with the second book in the series, EYES OF EARTH &
              SKY. So I need to build an audience, and I'm not sitting on my duff
              expecting Fantasy and dragon fans to find me. I have a website for
              the book, I visit forums and fan sites -- that's what I'm supposed to
              do as an author who wants to succeed.

              I hope you'll take a few moments and explain why you think that self-
              promotion by an author is spam.

              Sheri

              P.S. -- I also shared that Virtual Tales is open for new submissions.
              I know this group does Flash Fiction writing projects, so I figured
              there would be some members who might like to know about a good
              publisher that's actively looking for other writers. I suppose you
              think that's spam, too?

              --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Cherpeski

              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 7, 2007
                Spam is when a person joins the group, and their first post is an ad for their e-book company. I will be speaking to Matt, the owner, and we will get the description changed to mention the spam factor.

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 7, 2007
                  Jeff, let's get the facts straight. My first post was about my own,
                  published Fantasy eBook (including free excerpts), a Fantasy-related
                  promotion of general interest to people who like books, and a head's
                  up about a publisher who is currently accepting submissions from new
                  authors.

                  So far, you're the only person who's flagged this as spam. And, in
                  the meantime, some corporate cheese posted their press release about
                  a comic book convention in NYC and you didn't slam them. So, a big
                  corporation promoting their comic book venue with a press release
                  isn't spam, but a newly published author promoting her first book is?

                  How much are they paying you?

                  Sheri

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 7, 2007
                    Sheri,
                    I did delete that post. If you don't like it here, leave.

                    raegenhare <design@...> wrote: Jeff, let's get the facts straight. My first post was about my own,

                    <jcherper@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > the end of someone's dagger instead.
                    > >
                    > > Personally I'd recommend developing a more receptive air here,
                    and
                    > giving these poor folks the benefit of the doubt. I have to
                    wonder
                    > how many of the lurkers here are authors who are afraid to stick
                    > their foot into the water out of fear of someone biting off their
                    > toes.
                    > >
                    > > That is not to say that everyone here seems a troll ready to
                    > pounce. The women in this group, at least, seem quite friendly
                    and
                    > receptive. Maybe that tells more of the tale than I had
                    realized.

                    > > Then again, I've always found the company of women to be
                    > preferable to that of most men. The behavior of the
                    aforementioned
                    > fellow author, who shall remain nameless, seems to vindicate this

                  • jcherper
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 7, 2007
                      Alright, I am a bit pissed. I spoke to Matt, and we will be changing
                      the description in the morning. We just need to work on the wording.

                      If you want to talk about your book, great. Can I pick it up at the
                      local bookstore? I won't buy any paperback that I can't get for the
                      price of a regular paperback ($9.00) or less. Trade paperbacks are
                      the exception, but most of the books from ePublishers are poor quality
                      binding, very little editing and usually way over-priced. Not worth
                      my time or money.

                      Now before someone starts on the idea that you can't get published
                      anywhere else, that isn't true. It will take a lot of patience, a
                      shoebox full of rejection notices and a damn tight story. A lot of
                      the stuff that is published today isn't great, but it is still better
                      than 99% of the stuff from the ePubs. There is always the exception,
                      but as my favorite T-shirt saying says "Stereotypes save time."
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 8, 2007
                        sharing your material would require it be posted in completion for free anytime money is made off a free website it is spam if you want publicity perhaps you should get a publicist and do some paid advertising now you get it?

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 8, 2007
                          I agree it is more spam and this group is going to the dogs I have even recieved mailings for the muslim church so what the heck is going on here?