Re: [Fantasy Fiction Dungeon] Re: what is everyone reading?

  • Marc Vun Kannon
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 19, 2007
      One of the best along those lines is James Hogan's Proteus Operation, about a team of commandos from 1972 sent back to a1939 to stop Hitler from winning WWII.

      I'm considering a book about a man who keeps going back in time to fix things and ends up succeeding, but erasing his own existence in the process.

      Saje <soulsaje@...> wrote:
      Straight time travel is frowned upon, because causing major changes in a timeline tends to create new universes. Paradox is impossible. If you go back in time and, say, kill your own grandfather, it has no effect on the universe from which you come...it simply creates another universe in which you never existed.

      Recent Activity

      1
      New Members

      Visit Your Group

      Science fiction and fantasy
      Reading group guides.com

      Yahoo! News
      Space News
      Get the latest
      space related news

      Yahoo! Avatars
      Express Yourself
      Show your style &
      mood in Messenger.

      Yahoo! TV
      Staying in tonight?
      Check Daily Picks &
      see what to watch.

      .

      Marc Vun Kannon

      http://www.marcvunkannon.com

      Unbinding the Stone--To do the things that Gods cannot.
      A Warrior Made--Now available from Echelon Press.
      Fantasy at its most magical. Sit and read a spell!
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 19, 2007
        Marc, did you just write a spoiler for a book that hasn't even been written yet? I don't need to buy it now because I know the ending. - lolol.

        Dajala

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 20, 2007
          You know the endings of practically every movie, book, or TV show ever made. The selling point of a story is not 'how it ends' but the style of the writing, the characters, creativity of plotting, etc.
          And I never know how the story ends. This one may start out that way but I imagine it won't end that way. The guy in question may not even be the main character!

          "Dajala @ Yahoo" <dajala2002@...> wrote: Marc, did you just write a spoiler for a book that hasn't even been written yet? I don't need to buy it now because I know the ending. - lolol.

          Dajala

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 20, 2007
            Sounds like we have that in common, Marc. The unfolding of a particular story is as much a surprise to me as it is any reader half the time. I usually don't get a glimpse of the ending until I'm halfway through the story or more.

            Saje Williams
            Monsters are People too
            The Infinity Project
            http://www.sajewilliams.com

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 20, 2007
              I often do. In my first book I had some idea how it would end, but with all the stuff that went on in between, the meaning got changed completely even though the events were almost the same. In A Warrior Made I had less foreknowledge; some things happened towards the end that gave me several new opportunities, like when one of my heroes wakes up in the middle of the night shouting "Dragons!" and then says "What's a dragon?" (My main hero had invented them recently, but not under that name. How he did it will be a story in book 3.)

              Saje <soulsaje@...> wrote: Sounds like we have that in common, Marc. The unfolding of a particular story is as much a surprise to me as it is any reader half the time. I usually don't get a glimpse of the ending until I'm halfway through the story or more.

              Saje Williams
              Monsters are People too
              The Infinity Project
              http://www.sajewilliams.com