The reality of self-publishing

  • gcgustopher
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 29, 2006
      I have a question for all the self-publishing authors out there. How many books have you
      sold? Here is my self-publishing experience. I really like to hear yours.

      I published my book Evergreen Academy and the Golden Club in August 2006 with
      Iuniverse. I am not complaining about the job they have done. Their services were actually
      very good. At first, I thought I could earn back the investment quite easily. It has been
      three months, and I only sold about fifty books.

      I know I am doing pretty well compared to other authors. I kept track of the ranks of a few
      other books. Most of them were the best-sellers on the company's list, but they slipped
      quickly down the rank. From what I learned, most of them sold the books to their relatives
      and friends. When the pool drained out, the sale was over.

      I was positive, because most of my readers were complete strangers and the feedback was
      all positive. I was hoping the word of mouth would spread, and the book would take off. It
      didn't happen. I believe most people who read don't have many friends or are quiet and
      not pushy. So the chance of them convincing other people to buy a book totally unheard of
      is very small. Take me for example. I have never talked anyone into buying a book that I
      read and liked very much.

      I don't know what I should do with the book. It's like a child. Once you adopted it, it is
      very hard to give up.

      Thanks,

      Christopher Geszvain
      360.yahoo.com/gcgustopher
    • N B
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2006
        Hi..it's Fairia here. i am not an author myself,
        though i'd like very much to be able to write down
        some of my ideas and get others to read them:) I
        admire you for having done it and you should not
        regret it. what is the title of your book please? i am
        interested in knowing and reading it if i can find it.
        I read quite a lot (i say 'quite' cause i have lots of
        hobbies) and i do tell others about what i read and
        advise them to read the books especially if i know
        they enjoy the same type of books as i do.
        Hope to hear from you soon.
        --- gcgustopher <gcgustopher@...> wrote:

        > I have a question for all the self-publishing
        > authors out there. How many books have you
        > sold? Here is my self-publishing experience. I
        > really like to hear yours.
        >
        > I published my book Evergreen Academy and the Golden
        > Club in August 2006 with
        > Iuniverse. I am not complaining about the job they
        > have done. Their services were actually
        > very good. At first, I thought I could earn back the
        > investment quite easily. It has been
        > three months, and I only sold about fifty books.
        >
        > I know I am doing pretty well compared to other
        > authors. I kept track of the ranks of a few
        > other books. Most of them were the best-sellers on
        > the company's list, but they slipped
        > quickly down the rank. From what I learned, most of
        > them sold the books to their relatives
        > and friends. When the pool drained out, the sale was
        > over.
        >
        > I was positive, because most of my readers were
        > complete strangers and the feedback was
        > all positive. I was hoping the word of mouth would
        > spread, and the book would take off. It
        > didn't happen. I believe most people who read don't
        > have many friends or are quiet and
        > not pushy. So the chance of them convincing other
        > people to buy a book totally unheard of
        > is very small. Take me for example. I have never
        > talked anyone into buying a book that I
        > read and liked very much.
        >
        > I don't know what I should do with the book. It's
        > like a child. Once you adopted it, it is
        > very hard to give up.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Christopher Geszvain
        > 360.yahoo.com/gcgustopher

      • christopher Geszvain
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 1, 2006
          The title is Evergreen Academy and the Golden Club

          N B <fairia2003@...> wrote: Hi..it's Fairia here. i am not an author myself,

          Chris

          My Blog: 360.yahoo.com/gcgustopher
        • Jeff Cherpeski
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 1, 2006
            I don't know how much of this is the case, but rather if I read a book that I like and want to share it with a friend, I give them my copy to read. I rarely tell anyone "go buy this book, it is great." Rather I am more likely to say "hey read this book, it is great." That could mean that your book has been read by a lot more than the 50 people that bought a copy, but that those other readers aren't or won't buy a copy.

            The biggest hurdle that you face with self-publishing is that you are advertising to a very small group of people. You don't show up on the shelf of the local book store, so impulse purchases are gone. Unless you really market yourself, the publisher will do very little to push your book.

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 3, 2006
              I would like to chime in with Jeff. I also would like to add that
              many of these small e-publising sites...are unheard of by the
              mainstream. I am unsure of the success of getting their books out o
              the masses. It takes lots of hard work and it seems to me that you
              wil have to push your book. It is your baby...show it off! I would
              also suggest you talk to Marc or Sage or a few others who have
              published. Marc's book is avalable at Amazon.com. I am not sure how
              he was able to get it there.... Marc? Sage? any advice? Yvette

              -- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Cherpeski

              wrote:
              > I believe most people who read don't have many friends or are
              quiet and
              > not pushy. So the chance of them convincing other people to buy a
              book totally unheard of is very small. Take me for example. I have
              never talked anyone into buying a book that I read and liked very
              much.

            • Marc Vun Kannon
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 4, 2006
                My books were published by Echelon Press ( http://www.echelonpress.com )
                which is very small and publishes ebook as well as paper, but is a standard royalty-paying press. They do promotion on a company level but none on the author level. They recently did a promotion to several bookstores that we piggy-backed on, sending out our own mailings to the same stores with the same offer plus my own promo materials. Net result, 1 store, Sages Pages in Madison NJ, now has some copies of both Stone and Warrior in stock. Anyone living nearby, this is your chance!
                Mostly I sell it myself. I formed a small business, Author Guy, to sell books at local craft and gift fairs. Actually, I sell nearly every book my publisher makes in paper. Not everyone reads fantasy, I want to sell them something, and I'd rather promote a fellow Echelon Author than be yet another outlet for Tom Clancy, who doesn't need me anyway.

                Yvette <yvette_n_chad@...> wrote: I would like to chime in with Jeff. I also would like to add that
                many of these small e-publising sites...are unheard of by the
                mainstream. I am unsure of the success of getting their books out o
                the masses. It takes lots of hard work and it seems to me that you
                wil have to push your book. It is your baby...show it off! I would
                also suggest you talk to Marc or Sage or a few others who have
                published. Marc's book is avalable at Amazon.com. I am not sure how
                he was able to get it there.... Marc? Sage? any advice? Yvette

                Marc Vun Kannon

                http://www.marcvunkannon.com

                Unbinding the Stone--To do the things that Gods cannot.
                A Warrior Made--Now available from Echelon Press.
                Fantasy at its most magical. Sit and read a spell!