Hello All

  • writesoshan
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 8, 2006
      Just wanted to drop a line and say hello. Just joined and hoping to
      find lots of people with similar interests here.

      I am currently in Chicago, IL and if anyone else is nearby, I'd love
      to hear from you!

      Of course, I am into fantasy fiction. I just got through all of
      George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series and cannot wait for
      the next book. Eragon coming out this December is exciting for me.
      One of my favorites is the Memory Sorrow and Thorn series by Tad
      Williams. My favorite Historical Fiction is Here Be Dragons by
      Sharon Kay Penmann ... highly recommended.

      I am an aspiring writer (I say "aspiring" because as of yet, I have
      hardly actually written anything) and I am working on world building
      for my fantasy fiction epic. Currently, I consider writing more of a
      hobby that I do on the side, which is partly why I haven't written a
      lot. I also don't want to start writing this epic until I have it
      all worked out, maps drawn, languages developed, character and plot
      pretty well worked out ... etc. I have already got lots of work into
      it and can't wait until I feel ready to start writing the pages.

      Though I have been tempted lately to take advantage of November being
      National Novel Writing Month. I might just try to spit out some
      piece of crap before the end of the month just to give me a little
      writing exercise. I say "piece of crap" because I literally want to
      just write something willy-nilly to get it out of my system. I want
      to feel free of self-criticism and over-trying. Kind of like taking
      it slow when starting a real exercise program.

      It used to be that I was an avid RPG gamer, so I can talk that talk,
      but left the realm a few years ago to pursue a funny thing
      called "real life." It's been fun but I don't mind a short jaunt
      through the RPG world once in a while.

      Renaissance Faires grab me in full garb in the summers where I enjoy
      walking around town with a mug full of ale or mead or sassafras beer.

      I recently saw The Prestige and recommend it highly. I am now
      utterly fascinated by Nikola Tesla.

      That should do for now.

      Shannon
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 8, 2006
        Welcome Shannon,
        MS & T is my favorite Tad Williams series. I loved it. I think
        you'll find this club to be what you seek though lately people have
        been very busy with their lives, their novels and families. There
        are several published authors lurking about and I am sure they would
        love to give you direction in your novel creation. check out the
        site and have fun. Share your ideas, your favorite novels or your
        favorite author... Yvette
        --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "writesoshan"
        <writesoshan@...> wrote:

        > Just wanted to drop a line and say hello. Just joined and hoping
        > find lots of people with similar interests here.
        >
        > I am currently in Chicago, IL and if anyone else is nearby, I'd
        love
        > to hear from you!
        >
        > Of course, I am into fantasy fiction. I just got through all of
        > George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series and cannot wait for
        > the next book. Eragon coming out this December is exciting for
        me.
        > One of my favorites is the Memory Sorrow and Thorn series by Tad
        > Williams. My favorite Historical Fiction is Here Be Dragons by
        > Sharon Kay Penmann ... highly recommended.
        >
        > I am an aspiring writer (I say "aspiring" because as of yet, I
        have
        > hardly actually written anything) and I am working on world
        building
        > for my fantasy fiction epic. Currently, I consider writing more
        of a
        > hobby that I do on the side, which is partly why I haven't written
        > lot. I also don't want to start writing this epic until I have it
        > all worked out, maps drawn, languages developed, character and
        plot
        > pretty well worked out ... etc. I have already got lots of work
        into
        > it and can't wait until I feel ready to start writing the pages.
        >
        > Though I have been tempted lately to take advantage of November
        being
        > National Novel Writing Month. I might just try to spit out some
        > piece of crap before the end of the month just to give me a little
        > writing exercise. I say "piece of crap" because I literally want
        > just write something willy-nilly to get it out of my system. I
        want
        > to feel free of self-criticism and over-trying. Kind of like
        taking
        > it slow when starting a real exercise program.
        >
        > It used to be that I was an avid RPG gamer, so I can talk that
        talk,
        > but left the realm a few years ago to pursue a funny thing
        > called "real life." It's been fun but I don't mind a short jaunt
        > through the RPG world once in a while.
        >
        > Renaissance Faires grab me in full garb in the summers where I
        enjoy
        > walking around town with a mug full of ale or mead or sassafras
        beer.

        > I recently saw The Prestige and recommend it highly. I am now
        > utterly fascinated by Nikola Tesla.
        >
        > That should do for now.
        >
        > Shannon

      • Marc Vun Kannon
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 9, 2006
          Spider Robinson has a couple of books where Nikola Tesla is a character, not sure if it's immortality or time travel that brings him into the modern era..

[...]

          http://www.marcvunkannon.com

          Unbinding the Stone--To do the things that Gods cannot.
          A Warrior Made--Now available from Echelon Press.
          Fantasy at its most magical. Sit and read a spell!

        • Marc Vun Kannon
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 9, 2006
            Lurk, lurk, lurk.

            I never world-built in my life, just wrote.

            Yvette <yvette_n_chad@...> wrote:
            There are several published authors lurking about

            Recent Activity

            1
            New Members

            Visit Your Group

            Science fiction and fantasy

            Yahoo! News
            Top Stories
            Get the current
            top news stories

            Yahoo! Avatars
            Create a Face
            Show your style in
            Messenger & more.

            Yahoo! TV
            Staying in tonight?
            Check listings to
            see what is on.

            .

            Marc Vun Kannon

            http://www.marcvunkannon.com

            Unbinding the Stone--To do the things that Gods cannot.
            A Warrior Made--Now available from Echelon Press.
            Fantasy at its most magical. Sit and read a spell!

          • Lila Dubois
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 9, 2006
              Shannon,

              Sounds like you know what you are doing as far as planning out your story. I
              just got a contact for an adult (very adult) fantasy piece that is going to
              be published as an e-book. There is not a lot of world building because the
              piece is short, only 80,000 words.

              I'm doing NaNoWriMo but can't stop myself from critiquing and editing as I
              go, so as of today I only have 8,000 out of 50,000 words. It doesn't look
              good.

              best of luck and cheers!
              --
              Lila Dubois

              www.liladubois.com

              lila.dubois@...

            • Soshan .
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 10, 2006
                While I know that there's no way to account for ALL of the questions I might
                have while writing, I world-build so that most of them are answered before I
                begin because I don't want to have to keep stopping to figure it out. Plus,
                it helps with continuity and all that. :)

                Thanks for peeking out from behind the curtain! :)

                Shannon

                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 10, 2006
                  I don't, so that when I discover what happens next it's just as much a surprise for me as it is for the character.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 10, 2006
                    Oh! That's excellent! I love it when that happens! It does happen in the
                    process I use too. :D It's very fun. Thanks for sharing. It's neat to
                    hear insights like that.

                    -S