Re: Getting involved

  • trevinwolfe
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 22, 2006
      I don't write, I just read.

      Personally, I liked the first book, "On a Pale Horse," but the
      second, "Bearing an Hourglass," was nowhere near as good. I also
      read some of his Xanth and Adept series, and discovered that Piers
      Anthony can start a series great, but declines fairly quickly.

      Now I just discovered Kim Harrison. I have read all four of the
      Rachel Morgan books in the past month. The next one comes out in
      March in Hardcover, so I'm going to have to wait awhile for it,
      unless my local library actually gets this one, or a friend buys it.
      Since a friend did loan me the others, he might buy it in March.

      I also just started "1632" bu Eric Flint. Not very far into it yet,
      but seems to be going well.

      --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "dntl_mnd"
      <dntl_mnd@...> wrote:

      > I've been kinda down about hsi group because I don't know as much
      as
      > everyone else. Also, I haven't got a book under my belt. I felt
      like
      > I wasn't smart enough to be in this group....however, I want to be
      > part of it! So, I'm staying.
      >
      > I was thinking of some books that i couold recommend to others. I
      > always see the same ones posted so here's a series that I don't see
      > mentiones often...The Incarnations of Immortality (Piers Anthony).
      > They're a unique and interesting way of personifying....what's the
      > word....I don't know...stuff like war, fate, death....huge brain
      > fart, sorry. Anyway, I always loved these books. Classic good vs.
      > evil. God vs. Satan.
      >
      > Hope that someone out there will get a chance to enjoy them as much
      > as I did.
      >

      > Sincerely,
      >
      > Amanda D.

    • Marc Vun Kannon
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 22, 2006
        I preferred the books on Death, War, and Evil. And Eternity was a big waste of paper.

        dntl_mnd <dntl_mnd@...> wrote: I've been kinda down about hsi group because I don't know as much as
        everyone else. Also, I haven't got a book under my belt. I felt like
        I wasn't smart enough to be in this group....however, I want to be a
        part of it! So, I'm staying.

        I was thinking of some books that i couold recommend to others. I
        always see the same ones posted so here's a series that I don't see
        mentiones often...The Incarnations of Immortality (Piers Anthony).
        They're a unique and interesting way of personifying....what's the
        word....I don't know...stuff like war, fate, death....huge brain
        fart, sorry. Anyway, I always loved these books. Classic good vs.
        evil. God vs. Satan.

        Hope that someone out there will get a chance to enjoy them as much
        as I did.

        Sincerely,

        Amanda D.

        Marc Vun Kannon

        http://www.marcvunkannon.com

        Unbinding the Stone--To do the things that Gods cannot.
        A Warrior Made--Now available from Echelon Press.
        Fantasy at its most magical. Sit and read a spell!

      • saebuson
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 22, 2006
          Bein' smart probably isn't a requirement...since I'm still allowed in
          the group.

          Piers Anthony is a good writer though all in all I prefer the Xanth
          novels...Yeh that makes me a little silly I suppose but what can you do.
          Perhaps more on books I'd recomend later.

          Saeb 'The Oldman'.
        • karl barnes
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 23, 2006
            Have you read all the Xanth novels or most? I read up to Golem In Gear(I think that is the title) and just couldn't handle the story anymore. I think that the only the first seven books were any good and the rest just became to mundane. I liked his Blue Adept trilogy, but that is my only extent of reading Piers Anthony.

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 23, 2006
              Actually I've read most of them up until maybe 5 years ago. Can't
              remember which exactly I read up too. 'Round that time started getting
              into some of the 'harder' sci-fi books like David Webers Honor
              Harrington series and some contemporary fantasy like the Anita Blake
              series. Anyone starting the Anita Blake books I don't really recommend
              reading past Obsidian Butterfly...unless of course you like the whole
              over the top vampire/sex thing. As for the other Anthony novels..I
              tried the Blue Adept and a couple of others but wasn't as fond of the
              style.

              Saeb 'the oldman'.
            • Carol Bartholomew
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 25, 2006
                --- dntl_mnd <dntl_mnd@...> wrote:

                > I was thinking of some books that i couold recommend to
                > others. I
                > always see the same ones posted so here's a series that I
                > don't see
                > mentiones often...The Incarnations of Immortality (Piers
                > Anthony).
                > They're a unique and interesting way of
                > personifying....what's the
                > word....I don't know...stuff like war, fate,
                > death....huge brain
                > fart, sorry. Anyway, I always loved these books. Classic
                > good vs.
                > evil. God vs. Satan.

                I think the phrase you're looking for is Abstract Concepts.

                I read the first three and enjoyed them very much, but then
                I got a little bogged down. The first one, especially (To
                Ride A Pale Horse) was excellent. Definitely a different
                way of looking at things.

                Carol

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Carol Bartholomew
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 25, 2006
                  --- karl barnes <priestvyrce@...> wrote:

                  > Have you read all the Xanth novels or most? I read up to
                  > Golem In Gear(I think that is the title) and just
                  > couldn't handle the story anymore. I think that the only
                  > the first seven books were any good and the rest just
                  > became to mundane.

                  I know this wasn't directed at me specifically but I
                  thought I'd chime in anyway...

                  I have read all the Xanth novels. I really enjoyed about
                  the first 6 or 7, and his opening one (A Spell for
                  Chameleon) is still one I recommend to my friends. I still
                  like them, but now they are more 'lite' reading. I think
                  his puns have overtaken his good plots. But they are still
                  a fun read--I just don't expect them to do much more than
                  make me giggle.

                  I liked his Blue Adept trilogy, but
                  > that is my only extent of reading Piers Anthony.

                  I liked his Split Infinity. And I do still like his short
                  story collections.

                  Carol

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • karl barnes
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 25, 2006
                    Carol, are you talking about his Anthology(his pun,not mine)? If so, I've read that collection with some very disturbing reading, like the story about the six inch fairy and how her type reproduce.

                    > Have you read all the Xanth novels or most? I read up to
                    > Golem In Gear(I think that is the title) and just
                    > couldn't handle the story anymore. I think that the only
                    > the first seven books were any good and the rest just
                    > became to mundane.

                    I know this wasn't directed at me specifically but I
                    thought I'd chime in anyway...

                    I have read all the Xanth novels. I really enjoyed about
                    the first 6 or 7, and his opening one (A Spell for
                    Chameleon) is still one I recommend to my friends. I still
                    like them, but now they are more 'lite' reading. I think
                    his puns have overtaken his good plots. But they are still
                    a fun read--I just don't expect them to do much more than
                    make me giggle.

                    I liked his Blue Adept trilogy, but
                    > that is my only extent of reading Piers Anthony.

                    I liked his Split Infinity. And I do still like his short
                    story collections.

                    Carol

                    Do You Yahoo!?
                    http://mail. yahoo.com

                  • Carol Bartholomew
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 25, 2006
                      He has more than one collection of short stories, but yes,
                      I read that one. And yes, some are disturbing, but the
                      writing is still solid.

                      --- karl barnes <priestvyrce@...> wrote:

                      > Carol, are you talking about his Anthology(his pun,not
                      > mine)? If so, I've read that collection with some very
                      > disturbing reading, like the story about the six inch
                      > fairy and how her type reproduce.

                      Carol

                      "True ease in writing comes from art, not chance,
                      As those move easiest who have learn'd to dance."
                      ---Alexander Pope

                      Writing blog here: http://www.livejournal.com/users/carolhelga/
                      Spiritual musings blog here: http://livejournal.com/users/singjoy/

                      http://mail.yahoo.com