Getting involved

  • dntl_mnd
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 22, 2006
      I've been kinda down about hsi group because I don't know as much as
      everyone else. Also, I haven't got a book under my belt. I felt like
      I wasn't smart enough to be in this group....however, I want to be a
      part of it! So, I'm staying.

      I was thinking of some books that i couold recommend to others. I
      always see the same ones posted so here's a series that I don't see
      mentiones often...The Incarnations of Immortality (Piers Anthony).
      They're a unique and interesting way of personifying....what's the
      word....I don't know...stuff like war, fate, death....huge brain
      fart, sorry. Anyway, I always loved these books. Classic good vs.
      evil. God vs. Satan.

      Hope that someone out there will get a chance to enjoy them as much
      as I did.

      Sincerely,

      Amanda D.
    • trevinwolfe
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 22, 2006
        I don't write, I just read.

        Personally, I liked the first book, "On a Pale Horse," but the
        second, "Bearing an Hourglass," was nowhere near as good. I also
        read some of his Xanth and Adept series, and discovered that Piers
        Anthony can start a series great, but declines fairly quickly.

        Now I just discovered Kim Harrison. I have read all four of the
        Rachel Morgan books in the past month. The next one comes out in
        March in Hardcover, so I'm going to have to wait awhile for it,
        unless my local library actually gets this one, or a friend buys it.
        Since a friend did loan me the others, he might buy it in March.

        I also just started "1632" bu Eric Flint. Not very far into it yet,
        but seems to be going well.

        --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "dntl_mnd"
        <dntl_mnd@...> wrote:

        > I've been kinda down about hsi group because I don't know as much
        as
        > everyone else. Also, I haven't got a book under my belt. I felt
        like
        > I wasn't smart enough to be in this group....however, I want to be
        > part of it! So, I'm staying.
        >
        > I was thinking of some books that i couold recommend to others. I
        > always see the same ones posted so here's a series that I don't see
        > mentiones often...The Incarnations of Immortality (Piers Anthony).
        > They're a unique and interesting way of personifying....what's the
        > word....I don't know...stuff like war, fate, death....huge brain
        > fart, sorry. Anyway, I always loved these books. Classic good vs.
        > evil. God vs. Satan.
        >
        > Hope that someone out there will get a chance to enjoy them as much
        > as I did.
        >

        > Sincerely,
        >
        > Amanda D.

      • Marc Vun Kannon
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 22, 2006
          I preferred the books on Death, War, and Evil. And Eternity was a big waste of paper.

          dntl_mnd <dntl_mnd@...> wrote: I've been kinda down about hsi group because I don't know as much as
          everyone else. Also, I haven't got a book under my belt. I felt like
          I wasn't smart enough to be in this group....however, I want to be a
          part of it! So, I'm staying.

          I was thinking of some books that i couold recommend to others. I
          always see the same ones posted so here's a series that I don't see
          mentiones often...The Incarnations of Immortality (Piers Anthony).
          They're a unique and interesting way of personifying....what's the
          word....I don't know...stuff like war, fate, death....huge brain
          fart, sorry. Anyway, I always loved these books. Classic good vs.
          evil. God vs. Satan.

          Hope that someone out there will get a chance to enjoy them as much
          as I did.

          Sincerely,

          Amanda D.

          Marc Vun Kannon

          http://www.marcvunkannon.com

          Unbinding the Stone--To do the things that Gods cannot.
          A Warrior Made--Now available from Echelon Press.
          Fantasy at its most magical. Sit and read a spell!

        • saebuson
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 22, 2006
            Bein' smart probably isn't a requirement...since I'm still allowed in
            the group.

            Piers Anthony is a good writer though all in all I prefer the Xanth
            novels...Yeh that makes me a little silly I suppose but what can you do.
            Perhaps more on books I'd recomend later.

            Saeb 'The Oldman'.
          • karl barnes
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 23, 2006
              Have you read all the Xanth novels or most? I read up to Golem In Gear(I think that is the title) and just couldn't handle the story anymore. I think that the only the first seven books were any good and the rest just became to mundane. I liked his Blue Adept trilogy, but that is my only extent of reading Piers Anthony.

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 23, 2006
                Actually I've read most of them up until maybe 5 years ago. Can't
                remember which exactly I read up too. 'Round that time started getting
                into some of the 'harder' sci-fi books like David Webers Honor
                Harrington series and some contemporary fantasy like the Anita Blake
                series. Anyone starting the Anita Blake books I don't really recommend
                reading past Obsidian Butterfly...unless of course you like the whole
                over the top vampire/sex thing. As for the other Anthony novels..I
                tried the Blue Adept and a couple of others but wasn't as fond of the
                style.

                Saeb 'the oldman'.
              • Carol Bartholomew
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 25, 2006
                  --- dntl_mnd <dntl_mnd@...> wrote:

                  > I was thinking of some books that i couold recommend to
                  > others. I
                  > always see the same ones posted so here's a series that I
                  > don't see
                  > mentiones often...The Incarnations of Immortality (Piers
                  > Anthony).
                  > They're a unique and interesting way of
                  > personifying....what's the
                  > word....I don't know...stuff like war, fate,
                  > death....huge brain
                  > fart, sorry. Anyway, I always loved these books. Classic
                  > good vs.
                  > evil. God vs. Satan.

                  I think the phrase you're looking for is Abstract Concepts.

                  I read the first three and enjoyed them very much, but then
                  I got a little bogged down. The first one, especially (To
                  Ride A Pale Horse) was excellent. Definitely a different
                  way of looking at things.

                  Carol

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Carol Bartholomew
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 25, 2006
                    --- karl barnes <priestvyrce@...> wrote:

                    > Have you read all the Xanth novels or most? I read up to
                    > Golem In Gear(I think that is the title) and just
                    > couldn't handle the story anymore. I think that the only
                    > the first seven books were any good and the rest just
                    > became to mundane.

                    I know this wasn't directed at me specifically but I
                    thought I'd chime in anyway...

                    I have read all the Xanth novels. I really enjoyed about
                    the first 6 or 7, and his opening one (A Spell for
                    Chameleon) is still one I recommend to my friends. I still
                    like them, but now they are more 'lite' reading. I think
                    his puns have overtaken his good plots. But they are still
                    a fun read--I just don't expect them to do much more than
                    make me giggle.

                    I liked his Blue Adept trilogy, but
                    > that is my only extent of reading Piers Anthony.

                    I liked his Split Infinity. And I do still like his short
                    story collections.

                    Carol

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • karl barnes
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 25, 2006
                      Carol, are you talking about his Anthology(his pun,not mine)? If so, I've read that collection with some very disturbing reading, like the story about the six inch fairy and how her type reproduce.

                      > Have you read all the Xanth novels or most? I read up to
                      > Golem In Gear(I think that is the title) and just
                      > couldn't handle the story anymore. I think that the only
                      > the first seven books were any good and the rest just
                      > became to mundane.

                      I know this wasn't directed at me specifically but I
                      thought I'd chime in anyway...

                      I have read all the Xanth novels. I really enjoyed about
                      the first 6 or 7, and his opening one (A Spell for
                      Chameleon) is still one I recommend to my friends. I still
                      like them, but now they are more 'lite' reading. I think
                      his puns have overtaken his good plots. But they are still
                      a fun read--I just don't expect them to do much more than
                      make me giggle.

                      I liked his Blue Adept trilogy, but
                      > that is my only extent of reading Piers Anthony.

                      I liked his Split Infinity. And I do still like his short
                      story collections.

                      Carol

                      Do You Yahoo!?
                      http://mail. yahoo.com

                    • Carol Bartholomew
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 25, 2006
                        He has more than one collection of short stories, but yes,
                        I read that one. And yes, some are disturbing, but the
                        writing is still solid.

                        --- karl barnes <priestvyrce@...> wrote:

                        > Carol, are you talking about his Anthology(his pun,not
                        > mine)? If so, I've read that collection with some very
                        > disturbing reading, like the story about the six inch
                        > fairy and how her type reproduce.

                        Carol

                        "True ease in writing comes from art, not chance,
                        As those move easiest who have learn'd to dance."
                        ---Alexander Pope

                        Writing blog here: http://www.livejournal.com/users/carolhelga/
                        Spiritual musings blog here: http://livejournal.com/users/singjoy/

                        http://mail.yahoo.com