Re: Harry Potter book 7: Would you kill off your hero?

  • trevinwolfe
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
      I see no problem with offing the main character, if it makes sense to
      the story line. Killing him just because you don't want others to use
      the character is ridiculous. Besides, copyright would come in to
      effect if anyone tried to publish a story using the characters. Also
      note that killing off a character does not mean the stories stop.
      Remember, Arthur Conan Doyle sent Sherlock Holmes over waterfall so he
      wouldn't have to write about him anymore, but readers demanded more,
      so he resurrected Holmes.

      --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "Yvette"
      <yvette_n_chad@...> wrote:

      > I was looking on to Mugglenet and as expected there is lots of
      > speculation as to who people think will get killed off. I realize
      that
      > J.K. Rowling does not want someone else to try and pick-up with
      Harrys
      > life once she herself is done but I think knocking him off to be a
      bit
      > extreme. I think back to the author of Gone with the Wind, Margaret
      > Mitchell, who actually gave permission for someone to finish the
      > story. With so many published and non published writers on this site
      > what are your thoughts? Would you kill off your hero or heroine to
      > avoid someone continuing your story? I wonder whatever happened to
      > copyrights? Hmmm

    • saebuson
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 8, 2006
        I wouldn't kill off a hero. Goes against the grain. On the off chance
        that I did kill off a hero, it would be for the story, not just to
        keep someone else from writing a continuation. That's just bloody
        silly. Plus especially with magic, if someone wanted to continue
        writing Harry Potter books (copyrights not withstanding) they could
        easily bring him back. I reference Boba Fett. Lucas killed him. All
        the writers brought him back. 'Nuff said from me.
        The Oldman
        (Still around...Sometimes)
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 9, 2006
          Saeb,
          Good to see you again. Ghosts of Futures Past, eh? Like i said, i
          think she has writer envy, which all successful writers get at some
          point in their career. They want to prove they are more than just an
          author that has made a ton of money playing off a chord they have
          struck, a fad they have engendered, for whatever little time it
          exists. They are more than the sum of their publishing history. Some
          accomplish it with aplomb. Notably, Stephen King, Michael Chabon, and
          Kurt Vonnegut. Others crash and burn horribly.

          --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, saebuson <no_reply@...>

          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 10, 2006
            Yes, "it goes against the grain"...
            I remember when Joel Rosenberg author of: The Guardians of the Flame
            series killed off Karl,the main character.It was devasting to the
            point that the whole storyline fell apart. His focus went south and
            what began as an adventure twisted in a D & D game with an evil wizard
            became something completely different with the evil wizard getting
            lost in the story completely! I was sadbut gave it the good old
            college try and after a couple more books I gave up.

            Melanie Rawn has done something similar but at least her character had
            aged to become an old woman.

            I also know that Anne McCaffrey expressed great pain in killing off
            Master Robinton. I have yet to read that book... Don't know if I want
            to.

            As to the debate of "writer vs author" I call it a stalemate. I think
            Marc is right, most of you have the same definition but you flip flop
            hte words. Also glad to see some people popped in. I was beginning to
            give up.

            wrote:

            > I wouldn't kill off a hero. Goes against the grain. On the off chance
            > that I did kill off a hero, it would be for the story, not just to
            > keep someone else from writing a continuation. That's just bloody
            > silly. Plus especially with magic, if someone wanted to continue
            > writing Harry Potter books (copyrights not withstanding) they could
            > easily bring him back. I reference Boba Fett. Lucas killed him. All
            > the writers brought him back. 'Nuff said from me.
            > The Oldman
            > (Still around...Sometimes)

          • Marc Vun Kannon
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 10, 2006
              The Guardians series went astray long before Karl's death. I always got the feeling the Rosenberg was rolling dice as he wrote. Too many things got started that never got finished.

              I actually have a problem coming up in my books, since the main character will be around for a very long time and it's hard to imagine how he'll deal with all of his friends dying around him. Some of them are people I don't want to kill off but I can't make everyone immortal either.

              Yvette <yvette_n_chad@...> wrote: Yes, "it goes against the grain"...
              I remember when Joel Rosenberg author of: The Guardians of the Flame
              series killed off Karl,the main character.It was devasting to the
              point that the whole storyline fell apart. His focus went south and
              what began as an adventure twisted in a D & D game with an evil wizard
              became something completely different with the evil wizard getting
              lost in the story completely! I was sadbut gave it the good old
              college try and after a couple more books I gave up.

              Marc Vun Kannon

              http://www.marcvunkannon.com

              Unbinding the Stone--To do the things that Gods cannot.
              A Warrior Made--Now available from Echelon Press.
              Fantasy at its most magical. Sit and read a spell!

            • karl barnes
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 10, 2006
                I actually loved the first four books of The Guardians of The Flame. I couldn't believe that Rosenberg and his editor killed off Karl. Pretty brave thing to do, but as I read the fifth book dealing with his son,Jason,; I couldn't get the same vibe as I did from the first four books. Or maybe, it was that I read the first four books as a young man in my early twenties and read the fifth book in my fouties.

                Anyway, I still enjoyed the series and thought that eventhough there were some flaws and the like. The series was pretty interesting and fun to read.

                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 10, 2006
                  Melanie Rawn death of her old main characters was done a sense poetry and made sense. It sadden me to read Rohan's death, but it made the story more powerful for me.

                  Robinton's death was very well handled and made the rest of the story have more meaning. It was sad;like losing a dearly loved uncle.

                  wrote:

                  > I wouldn't kill off a hero. Goes against the grain. On the off chance
                  > that I did kill off a hero, it would be for the story, not just to
                  > keep someone else from writing a continuation. That's just bloody
                  > silly. Plus especially with magic, if someone wanted to continue
                  > writing Harry Potter books (copyrights not withstanding) they could
                  > easily bring him back. I reference Boba Fett. Lucas killed him. All
                  > the writers brought him back. 'Nuff said from me.
                  > The Oldman
                  > (Still around...Sometimes)

                • Saje
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 10, 2006
                    Karl's death was a terrible blow to that series! I've always liked Walter too, but Karl is and will always be one of my favorite fantasy heroes, and the way Joel wrote his son, I didn't think Jason was fit to carry water for his father, much less try to stand in his place.

                    But that's just me.

                    And as far as Master Robinton's death--it was a blow, but he was getting up there and, well, it fit somehow. To me, anyway.

                    Saje Williams
                    Catch the ride!
                    The Infinity Project
                    http://www.sajewilliams.com

                    wrote:

                    > I wouldn't kill off a hero. Goes against the grain. On the off chance
                    > that I did kill off a hero, it would be for the story, not just to
                    > keep someone else from writing a continuation. That's just bloody
                    > silly. Plus especially with magic, if someone wanted to continue
                    > writing Harry Potter books (copyrights not withstanding) they could
                    > easily bring him back. I reference Boba Fett. Lucas killed him. All
                    > the writers brought him back. 'Nuff said from me.
                    > The Oldman
                    > (Still around...Sometimes)

                  • karl barnes
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 11, 2006
                      Now that I think about it, maybe that was Rosenberg's meaning. Eventhough you are the son of a hero doesn't mean that you, yourself, will or can be worthy of the same title. You don't necessarily inherent "heroism", like you do say like eye color. Jason might have been meant to be a symbol of the son trying to live up to a legend and no matter how hard he strives; can not achieve the same level as the father.

                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 11, 2006
                        That could be but I agree with Marc..the books just simply had too
                        many semiplots that dissolved in midair. Many great ideas but too
                        many loose ends.

                        --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, karl barnes
                        <priestvyrce@...> wrote:

                        > Now that I think about it, maybe that was Rosenberg's meaning.
                        Eventhough you are the son of a hero doesn't mean that you,
                        yourself, will or can be worthy of the same title. You don't
                        necessarily inherent "heroism", like you do say like eye color.
                        Jason might have been meant to be a symbol of the son trying to live
                        up to a legend and no matter how hard he strives; can not achieve
                        the same level as the father.

                        hero? (w spoiler for Rosenberg's series & others)

                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 11, 2006
                          That's because Karl was special..he was imperfect in regular human
                          form, His D & D character captured his soul, it brought out his true
                          heroic form. Everyone loves to see the "geek" become the hero, & he
                          got the girl :-)

                          --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "Saje" <soulsaje@...>

                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 11, 2006
                            Yes, I agree Karl. She too however suffered from lost semiplots. The
                            whole story began with a nice dragon subplot that disappeared.
                            However, her strategy for war design was interesting. I still
                            enjoyed the series and read it to the end.

                            I still am not ready to read about Robinton, i really loved his
                            character. I am sure I will pick it up eventually. Yvette

                            --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, karl barnes >
                            > Melanie Rawn death of her old main characters was done a sense
                            poetry and made sense. It sadden me to read Rohan's death, but it
                            made the story more powerful for me.

                            > Robinton's death was very well handled and made the rest of the
                            story have more meaning. It was sad;like losing a dearly loved uncle.

                          • Marc Vun Kannon

                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 11, 2006
                                When many readers were diving into witchworld, I was exploring Pern.
                                I loved Pern, the dragons and the people. After White Dragon I read
                                Moreta and a few other one offs and I too have not gone back in a
                                long while but it will always be a favorite.

                                --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, Marc Vun Kannon

                                Message 15 of 19 , Aug 15, 2006
                                  I haven't read the Guardian of the Flame series though i have the
                                  first book that i bought a long time ago and never read. It's still
                                  sitting somewhere. Killing characters, especially if the reader has
                                  a vested interest in their development and actions, is always an
                                  iffy proposition. You either lose interest or want to keep reading,
                                  hoping something trumps that death, deux ex machina rules be damned.

                                  I know that George R.R. Martin has no compunctions about whacking
                                  his main characters. That series is a fantasy version of the
                                  Sopranos. "Hey, Lord Stark!" whack!

                                  I do remember being highly agitated when Gandalf fell from the
                                  Bridge of Khazad Dum in FOTR, but we know how that turned out. I
                                  remember being very upset with Stephen R. Donaldson with some of the
                                  choices he made when he wrote the first and second Chronicles of
                                  Thomas Covenant, especially with some of the Bloodguard and the
                                  Giants on the ship when they went searching for the one Tree. And,
                                  of course, he killed off the protagonist at the end of White Gold
                                  Wielder and i haven't read the new series yet.

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Aug 15, 2006
                                    One thing i remembered is how David Gemmell, may he rest in peace,
                                    dealt with Waylander in Shadow of the Wolf. It was a fitting end to
                                    one of the best anti-heroes in heroic fiction.

                                    <yvette_n_chad@...> wrote:

                                    > Yes, "it goes against the grain"...
                                    > I remember when Joel Rosenberg author of: The Guardians of the
                                    Flame
                                    > series killed off Karl,the main character.It was devasting to the
                                    > point that the whole storyline fell apart. His focus went south
                                    and
                                    > what began as an adventure twisted in a D & D game with an evil
                                    wizard
                                    > became something completely different with the evil wizard getting
                                    > lost in the story completely! I was sadbut gave it the good old
                                    > college try and after a couple more books I gave up.
                                    >
                                    > Melanie Rawn has done something similar but at least her character
                                    had
                                    > aged to become an old woman.
                                    >
                                    > I also know that Anne McCaffrey expressed great pain in killing
                                    off
                                    > Master Robinton. I have yet to read that book... Don't know if I
                                    want
                                    > to.
                                    >
                                    > As to the debate of "writer vs author" I call it a stalemate. I
                                    think
                                    > Marc is right, most of you have the same definition but you flip
                                    flop
                                    > hte words. Also glad to see some people popped in. I was
                                    beginning to
                                    > give up.
                                    >
                                    > --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, saebuson <no_reply@>
                                    > wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > I wouldn't kill off a hero. Goes against the grain. On the off
                                    chance
                                    > > that I did kill off a hero, it would be for the story, not just
                                    > > keep someone else from writing a continuation. That's just bloody
                                    > > silly. Plus especially with magic, if someone wanted to continue
                                    > > writing Harry Potter books (copyrights not withstanding) they
                                    could
                                    > > easily bring him back. I reference Boba Fett. Lucas killed him.
                                    All
                                    > > the writers brought him back. 'Nuff said from me.
                                    > > The Oldman
                                    > > (Still around...Sometimes)

                                  • Regina Paul
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Sep 20, 2006
                                      It is always a very iffy proposition to kill of the hero. I'm a
                                      reviewer in addition to being a writer and just finished a science
                                      fiction romance where the author didn't kill off just one hero, but
                                      two, and there was like no resolution by the end. She just had the
                                      heroine alone. While I don't expect a happy ending for all stories,
                                      even my own, in this case killing off the heros ruined the story as
                                      far as I was concerned and I feel will make this authors sales
                                      plummet for her next book.

                                      Regina
                                      ---Sign up for my monthly newsletter and get free romance reads (one
                                      is a fantasy romance)! To subscribe send an e-mail to
                                      Reginas_Universe-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                                      or visit my yahoo group page
                                      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Reginas_Universe/?yguid=52268

                                      --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "Matt" <gauvaine@...>

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Sep 21, 2006
                                        I first would like to say welcome and thanks for reading back to old
                                        posts. i share your opinion about killing off heros. In simple
                                        terms, it hurts. I would feel cheated if she killed off Harry.

                                        --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "Regina Paul"