Re: [Fantasy Fiction Dungeon] Books your reading

  • Anna Chavez
    Message 1 of 6 , May 10, 2006
      I have read The good The bad and The Undead. Its a really good book.. my friend Jenille got me to start reading it. Has a lot of varied magics & stuff in it. Deals with Vampires, werewolves... has a strong story line that is easy to follow. It kinda makes you yearn to get bitten once you've heard the vivid discriptions of the events. I don't think that I am really that qualified to recommend any other Authors cause I am just finding my stride in learning that you can read other authors without feeling like your being untrue to your fav's lol.

      Jenny Rostron <sadjenny@...> wrote: I just finished reading Proven Guilty by Jim Butcher, the latest Harry Dresden novel. Although I adore this Supernatural PI series, (No matter how many books are ahead of it in the queue, I leap upon any new Dresden stories) I think a new reader would be better off starting out with an earlier novel. The plot deals with a lot of old business for Harry -- His troubled adolescence is a particular focus now that he's a Warden (Think Wizard Cop) and duty bound to arrest and bind over for probable execution any newbie mage wandering astray. -- and a new reader would like as not get really lost, or frustrated having to figure out what's going on. However some interesting plot twists and groundwork for future novels is laid and a reader familiar with the novels would probably like it. I did
      I recently read Sharper than a Serpent's Tooth by Simon R Green, which ties up the Lilith trilogy (Started in Hex and the City, continued through Paths Not Taken) in the Nightside series. Again, not a novel to start out on since it is the end of a sub-trilogy and the plot mostly deals with John Taylor trying to stop Lilith from taking the Nightside back to her original Design. (I'm not even sure I could recommend it for a reader of the series--Green bustles the story along overstuffed with events. And I was REALLY disappointed in The Authorities' true nature!) Also recently finished Wicked and Son of a Witch by Gregory Maguire, which, although fine novels, don't qualify for light summer reading IMO.
      Currently I'm reading The Good, The Bad and The Undead by Kim Harrison, Dime Store Magic by Kelley Armstrong and Zorro by Isabel Allende, (How did the Allende book sneak in there? ) any one of which is fine for the Beach or RV.

      Matt <gauvaine@...> wrote:
      It's that time again. Name some of the books in your stack and/or
      recommend some of the one's you've just read recently. Summer is
      rolling around and i'm sure everyone wants beach books and RV books to
      tote around with them.

      For myself, i'm reading His Majesty's Dragon right now by Naomi Novik.
      A really good read and fast. It's a combination of Bernard Cornwell's
      Sharpe novels, Patrick O'Brians Jack Aubrey novel's, and McCaffrey's
      Pern books. We were discussing how hard it is to do anything with
      dragon's these days because it's been so overdone, this thing is
      original and really is well written. It's a historical novel with
      dragons in it. I can't wait to read Jade Empire, which is the next one.

      I've also been reading Mad Maudlin by Mercedes Lackey, a couple of Tim
      Dorsey's detective novels, a Jack the Repairman book by F. Paul Wilson
      and a few other things. Next on my list is the Stolen Child by Keith
      Donohue, Vellum by Hal Duncan, and The Traveller by John Hawks.

      Fantasy science fiction magazine Fantasy science fiction Science fiction movies Fantasy game Writing science fiction Science fiction