Re: Announcement: Dresden Files coming to Scifi

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 10 5:29 PM
      I am amazed. I bought the first Dresden File book before christmas
      and I have it in my to be read stack. I liked the premise at the
      time.

      --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "Matt" <gauvaine@...>
      wrote:

      > Actor Set to Star in and David Carson to Direct
      > The Dresden Files Pilot from Lions Gate Television
      >

      > NEW YORK (Nov. 9, 2005) — SCI FI Channel has cast Paul Blackthorne
      > (24, Presidio Med) to star as Chicago-based wizard and detective
      > Harry Dresden in The Dresden Files. Director David Carson (Star
      Trek
      > Generations) has been tapped to helm the project. Production on
      the
      > two-hour backdoor pilot film is set to commence in Toronto later
      > this month, with plans for a Summer 2006 premiere.
      >
      > The Dresden Files is being produced by Lions Gate Television, in
      > association with Nicolas Cage's Saturn Films (The Life of David
      > Gale, Shadow of the Vampire). Hans Beimler (The District,
      Profiler)
      > and Robert Hewitt Wolfe (The 4400, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
      will
      > serve as executive producers alongside Cage; his Saturn Films
      > partner, Norm Golightly; and Morgan Gendel (Law & Order, V.I.P.).
      >
      > According to Cage, "Norm and I feel that Paul's passion for the
      part
      > and talent will translate into a charismatic performance."
      >
      > Best known for his acclaimed performance as the villainous Stephen
      > Saunders on 24, Paul Blackthorne also starred in Presidio Med and
      in
      > the feature film Lagaan: Once Upon a Time in India. He has guest-
      > starred on Medium and ER and has a recurring role on Deadwood.
      > Blackthorne is represented by Seven Summits Pictures and
      Management
      > and SDB Partners.
      >
      > David Carson has directed numerous sci-fi hits, including the
      > infamous Star Trek Generations feature film, in which Captain Kirk
      > dies. His other credits include the pilots for Star Trek: Deep
      Space
      > Nine, Strange Luck, Sons & Daughters, Celebrity and Odyssey 5 —
      all
      > of which were successfully sold to series.
      >
      > Based on the best-selling series of novels by Jim Butcher, The
      > Dresden Files pilot, written by Beimler and Wolfe, tells the story
      > of Harry Dresden, a Chicago-based private detective with
      > extraordinary abilities. Where others see typical crimes of
      assault,
      > kidnapping and murder, Harry sees otherworldly forces at work.
      He's
      > a wizard, the real thing, the only wizard listed in the Chicago
      > yellow pages. Whether consulting for the police on inexplicable
      > crimes or following his own cases, Dresden does battle with the
      > forces of darkness, always maintaining a wry sense of humor and a
      > unique perspective on our world.
      >
      > Lions Gate Television is the television production and
      distribution
      > arm of Lions Gate Entertainment (NYSE: LGF). With a total of four
      > primetime series currently on the air, the company is an important
      > supplier of content to cable and broadcast networks. Lions Gate
      > Entertainment is the premier independent producer and distributor
      of
      > motion pictures, television programming, home entertainment,
      family
      > entertainment and video-on-demand content. Its prestigious and
      > prolific library is a valuable source of stable and recurring
      > revenue and serves as a foundation for the continued growth of the
      > company's core businesses. The Lions Gate brand name is synonymous
      > with original, daring, quality entertainment in markets around the
      > world.
      >
      > SCI FI Channel is a television network where "what if" is what's
      on.
      > SCI FI fuels the imagination of viewers with original series and
      > events, blockbuster movies and classic science fiction and fantasy
      > programming, as well as a dynamic Web site (www.scifi.com) and
      > magazine. Launched in 1992, and currently in 85 million homes, SCI
      > FI Channel is a network of NBC Universal, one of the world's
      leading
      > media and entertainment companies.

    • Marc Vun Kannon
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 11 4:31 AM
        I never read the first Dresden, just some that I found
        in a used book store, Fool Moon and such. The writing
        was good, but the stories had flaws that didn't sit
        well with me, although I liked a fantasy series that
        actually dealt with wizards. His Calderon books are
        much better, very clever if a shade predictable in the
        larger sense.

        --- Yvette <yvette_n_chad@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > prolific library is a valuable source of stable
        > and recurring
        > > revenue and serves as a foundation for the
        > continued growth of the
        > > company's core businesses. The Lions Gate brand
        > name is synonymous
        > > with original, daring, quality entertainment in
        > markets around the
        > > world.
        > >
        > > SCI FI Channel is a television network where "what
        > if" is what's
        > on.
        > > SCI FI fuels the imagination of viewers with
        > original series and
        > > events, blockbuster movies and classic science
        > fiction and fantasy
        > > programming, as well as a dynamic Web site
        > (www.scifi.com) and
        > > magazine. Launched in 1992, and currently in 85
        > million homes, SCI
        > > FI Channel is a network of NBC Universal, one of

        http://www.marcvunkannon.com

        Unbinding the Stone--To do the things that Gods cannot.
        A Warrior Made--Now available from Echelon Press.
        Fantasy at its most magical. Sit and read a spell!

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 13 9:10 AM
          I bought the first two several years ago while I was on my Anita
          Blake kick, thinking they might play out the same, but without the
          rampant sex and violence. I wasn't impressed with the first one. It
          seemed to be lacking something . . i couldn't quite put my finger on
          it. I liked the premise and liked the character, but something was
          just off about the writing. It didn't hit you hard. The prose is
          kind of standard, no gimmicks or quick sentences. Maybe you can read
          it Yvette and tell me what you think.

          Matt

          --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "Yvette"

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 13 9:33 AM
            I got some of the later ones, better writing than
            most, good stuff on werewolves, not so good on
            vampires. My biggest problem was the irrational
            behavior of the characters at certain key points. His