Finished the Dark Jewels Trilogy-Potential Spoilers

  • Herod Antipas
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2006
      I finished the last book today. The series is uneven, and somewhat
      repetative, the bad people come up with a scheme which almost
      succeeds, but Janelle fends them off at a terrible personal cost,
      then they think of another scheme, which almost succeeds, a sort of
      Dark Fantasy Gilligan's Island!

      But the characters are extremely memorable, and the bizarre world
      actually works. Somehow, she just didn't worry about making
      everything totally consistant, so there are showers, but no
      crossbows. I guess it's one of those worlds where they don;t need
      technology because they have magic. You'd think though that those
      Landens who don't have craft to do everything for them would have
      invented gunpowder, or the internal combustion engine, especially
      since Saetan has been around for 50,000 years.

      I loved the whole demon dead thing. That was really interesting,
      and the way that if you've been really bad, then in a sense you go
      to the traditional hell, because Saetan or Titian might be waiting
      for you.

      I guess I'm trying to say that it's quite wierd but it works. Maybe
      it would have worked better as a single lengthy book though that was
      more tightly plotted.

      I know it sounds like I have a lot of complaints, but what the books
      did was make me really care about the characters and see them as
      friends (even the bad ones) and I was sorry it had to end.
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 3, 2006
        I haven't read the whole series , I am on book 2 but I agree with you

        --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "Herod Antipas"