Re: [Fantasy Fiction Dungeon] Daughter of the Blood Reading update

  • Saje
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 5, 2005
      Let me chime in here, since I probably know this series better than anyone here. I don't think any of this is SPOILER material, since it's simply an explanation of the background and the universe itself, barely touching on the storyline at all.

      One has to set aside some preconceptions about the characters first of all. To me they're all mythological anyway, so I completely grok the concept of turning the usual fantasy cliches on their heads. What many of us might think of as 'demons' are just different races within the realms. The demon-dead are people who are magically powerful enough to keep their bodies working after death and continue on in that fashion until they use up their last reserves of magic, which might take thousands of years. A "Guardian" is one of the demon-dead who takes on a certain level of responsibility toward the living after death.

      The jewels are a caste system of a sort, marking the character's strength of will and the limits of his or her magical power. The darker the jewel, the more powerful the Blood. These are granted by an unknown power that is thought to be the origin of the Blood in the first place.

      But this is not all. There is also a SOCIAL caste system, and it refers to the interactions between the Blood based on their strength of personality alone. Among the males you have regular Blood males, Warlords and Warlord Princes. Warlords are themselves formidable, but Warlord Princes are driven almost to the edge of madness by an instinctive need to protect the women of family and clan in particular. Women rule, men protect. Among the women you have Witches, Priestesses, and Queens.

      Queens are the specific caste that is meant to rule, and keep the males from becoming too aggressive, but there have been increasingly fewer Queens allowed to come into their power. They have been broken by males who were, in turn, twisted beyond recognition by corrupt women who aren't powerful enough on their own to actually rule, so they're trying to steal the authority that isn't theirs by right.

      In the beginning of the book, one of the broken witches, a women who's lived on the edge of madness for several hundred years, whose dreams of the future are splintered and incomplete, prophesizes the arrival of Witch, the ultimate dark queen who will set things aright. Several of the most powerful males are told to make ready for her arrival, and to be prepared to stand by her and protect her from those who would destroy what she represents.

      One thing to keep in mind is that these beings are dark and powerful, but they are not evil. Those who hold to the old ways believe in noblesse oblige, or that those who hold the power have the obligation to protect those who are weaker than themselves, rather than exploit them as the usupers have done. They can be utterly ruthless toward those who break the rules, but infinitely more gentle with those they are sworn to protect. They see Darkness as the bringer of peace, not something to fear as we do.

      I was reluctant to pick the book up myself originally, because I'm not a big fan of dark fiction...but beyond the darkness and savage nature of some of the characters there is a kind of deep, abiding hope. At least, that's the way I see it. The author has a talent for creating sympathetic characters out of the scariest people, a trait I've tried to emulate to some extent in my own work. When the good guys are as scary, or scarier, than the villains, and the only thing that holds them back is their own sense of decency and honor, it creates a sub-text I find quite intriguing.

      Well, I hope this helps a little.

      Saje
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 5, 2005
        Well done Sage. I did understand from the reading what you have
        explained here but could never have explained it so clearly. thank
        you ...on to my reading, yvette

        --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "Saje" <soulsaje@c...>
        wrote:

> [...]
        rather than exploit them as the usupers have done. They can be
        utterly ruthless toward those who break the rules, but infinitely
        more gentle with those they are sworn to protect. They see Darkness
        as the bringer of peace, not something to fear as we do.

        > I was reluctant to pick the book up myself originally, because I'm
        not a big fan of dark fiction...but beyond the darkness and savage
        nature of some of the characters there is a kind of deep, abiding
        hope. At least, that's the way I see it. The author has a talent
        for creating sympathetic characters out of the scariest people, a
        trait I've tried to emulate to some extent in my own work. When the
        good guys are as scary, or scarier, than the villains, and the only
        thing that holds them back is their own sense of decency and honor,
        it creates a sub-text I find quite intriguing.

        science fiction Science fiction movies

      • avalmistress@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 6, 2005
          Thanks Saje!!!!

          That helps alot!!!

          There in the beginning I just felt something was missing................it seemed as if I was actually reading volume 2 or 3 and missed out on the beginning.

          its coming together now!!!

          thanks again!!!

          Christina

[...]

          Science fiction movies
          Fantasy game Writing science fiction Science fiction

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Herod Antipas
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 7, 2005
            What can I say, I LOVE THIS BOOK! can't put it down. I'm about 200
            pages in now and it won't last much longer. I don;t think this is a
            spoiler, but I'd say my favorite aspect of the early chapters is the
            way the Jaenelle keeps suprising everybody!

          • Saje

              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 8, 2005
                I have to admit that even though I felt lost in the first few chapters.........I have grown to love it..........its to the point now where I can't put it down.

                I was a little grossed out though about the "Shaving"........Herold, you thought my stuff was dark and gross, lol :)

                christina-NC

                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 8, 2005
                  It's definitely interesting. It's like someone took the old D&D
                  Monster Manual and took the bits with Asmodeous, Orcus, Pit Fiends,
                  Imps, etc and breathed life into them in a non lawful evil type of way.

                  --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, "Herod Antipas"

                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 8, 2005
                    As an old-time D&Der myself, I have to say, that's not a connection I would have made.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 12, 2005
                      --- In fantasyfictiondungeon@yahoogroups.com, avalmistress@a...
                      wrote:

                      > I have to admit that even though I felt lost in the first few
                      chapters.........I have grown to love it..........its to the point
                      now where I can't put it down.

                      > I was a little grossed out though about
                      the "Shaving"........Herold, you thought my stuff was dark and
                      gross, lol :)

                      > christina-NC

                      SPOILLERS

                      SPOILERS

                      SPOILERS

                      Yes the shaving was very gross, but the odd thing was that Kartane,
                      and even Daemon found it so upsetting. But that also makes sense
                      because this is a very sexually, and genitally oriented group of
                      people, so even though Daemon has seen and committed just about
                      every kind of cruelty, for him the thought of that kind of loss is
                      much worse.